PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was Mac Jones the most “pundit projected” Patriots pick under BB?

Obviously Tavon Wilson. All that film they had on him during the draft.

muhammad ali boxing GIF by Cartuna

The later picks are harder and harder to project. We rarely pick in the top half of round one. We also scout differently and generally drafted well in the first round. The second round not so much.

The Jets feared the Patriots taking Vera Tucker and so they moved up. Inadvertently they blocked the Saints from Leap-frogging the Patriots for Mac Jones. Thanks for blundering again, Jets! Hopefully Mac Jones makes them regret that move for a LONG time to come! LOL :rofl:

Mac Jones always looked like a great fit for the Patriots. The problem was that he was an even better fit for San Francisco West Coast Offense and they had moved all the way up to 3 to take him, or so we thought. Looks like a lot of people were unprepared for Mac Jones to fall. But it was meant to be and BB showed no hesitation in pulling the trigger once Mac Jones slipped all the way down to 15.

I agree. It would indeed be hilarious if Mac Jones became a Jets killer; I suspect he will.

As far as SF, yes, Mac Jones would have been a good fit for them. They were snookered into trading up to three to take Jones (for an insane price) and then started to overthink the selection. Sort of like the Patriots overthinking their selection of Debbie Harry. Trading up and selecting Lance will go down as one of the worst blunders in recent draft history. It was sort of like Draft Day without the happy ending for SF.

There were a few. Chad Jackson was consistently projected to the Patriots, a lot of good that did us. Shane Vareen was also constantly connected to the team

I remember Mayo, Merriweaher, McCourty, Gronk and Easley mentioned often, but I wouldn't call it consensus.

Jones reminds me most of Wilfork, the perfect fit that nobody thought would be available.

he probably was, but I think it was an educated guess given:

1. The patriots desperately need a quarterback.

2. Mac Jones skillset fits perfectly into what the patriots want to do offensively

Jordan Matthews was picked by many, but the Pats didn't draft him. I think it would have been a great fit.

In terms of players that were consistently linked to us throughout the process, Darius Butler has to be up there with Mac Jones. The irony of the Butler pick is that everyone thought we has a steal in the 40s as he has been projected to us in the 20s. Hightower was also consistently mocked. C Jones and Mayo were only strongly linked in the days leading up to the draft in my memory. I also seem to recall Cyrus Jones being consistently mocked to us for months as well as Duke Dawson.

my memory is hazy but Wynn and Michel seemed to be slight surprises. We were said to love Frank Ragnow and Wynn must have been the consolation prize.

In terms of players that were consistently linked to us throughout the process, Darius Butler has to be up there with Mac Jones. The irony of the Butler pick is that everyone thought we has a steal in the 40s as he has been projected to us in the 20s. Hightower was also consistently mocked. C Jones and Mayo were only strongly linked in the days leading up to the draft in my memory. I also seem to recall Cyrus Jones being consistently mocked to us for months as well as Duke Dawson.

my memory is hazy but Wynn and Michel seemed to be slight surprises. We were said to love Frank Ragnow and Wynn must have been the consolation prize.

I think the only local pundit that was predicting Mayo was Michael Holley.. I remember him incessantly bragging about it.

I think a lot of people thought we were going to take Hightower.

bb usually gets himself in trouble by going off script and trying to outsmart every body.

when he sticks to the script, like we did on day 1 and day 2 of this past draft, good things happen,

when he goes off script, like he did on day 3 of this part draft, we get screwed.

When we were on the clock, it was the obvious move.

MIN was on the clock. One can only think that Belichick thought that NO ONE was interested in trading up for Jones. Otherwise, we would have flipped a 4th to MIN to make sure that we got Jones. MIN could that have made essentially the same trade with the jets.

Maybe MIN convinced the jets that we were picking the OT, arguably the last consensus stud on the board.
I think this level of what-if-ism is just borrowing trouble.

"what-if-ism" is some kind of issue now?...poor "what-about-Bob-ism"..forgotten like yesterday's news and thrown in the trash heap by the ADHD Chronic Complainer generation...

iu

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back