PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats approach to Pro Day scouting

Marshawn Lloyd and Brendan Rice say hello.

My guess is they feel they have enough on those other guys to warrant not attending. Maybe? I know there's a lot of needs, but I am really hoping T'vondre Sweat somehow falls to them. I like Christian Jones, too.

I agree it does seem weird.

I would love to see them get T’Vondre Sweat, teams would have to double him, and that would really free up the rest of the front 7.

Who the hell knows why this team does what it does... Been like that for 24 years, and the old practices continue to this day... free agency was a tip off that it was pretty much business as usual at 1 Patriot Place...

After trading Fields for a bag of balls, you know the Bears are taking him in the number 1 spot... Does anyone else on the USC squad merit such investigation? Short answer is no. Maybe its a ploy - maybe they want to deflect, and trying not to tip their hand regarding who their real target is at 3. Maye or Daniels... I have seen mocks where Washington takes Maye, others with them taking Daniels... that is a complete toss up... no idea which direction they are going to go in...

I wish I knew more about the Pats scouting department - who is going to NC, who is going to LSU, as if knowing names would really make a difference... But it might, we could get a sense of direction for their plans in the draft...

Please watch the Mac Jones tape again scout's. We picked a raggedy arm, no touch, bad footwork and panicked in a compressed pocket qb. Do not pick another first round bust! Review, review review! Find us a Brady like qb no matter what round. Watch Brady tape while your at it. I hope we draft 2!

Last edited:
Please watch the Mac Jones tape again scout's. We picked a raggedy arm, no touch, bad footwork and panicked in a compressed pocket qb. Do not pick another first round bust! Review, review review!
I agree with you.
Wolf was part of the Mac pick. Not sure how much he pushed if at all on the pick. But it is not reassuring.
Surprising Groh is not part of the group. I do understand he is charge of scouting. Wondering if he pushed for Mac more than Wolf. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall during that #15 pick.

They did get the Barnmore and Gonzo pick right. But we are looking QB this year. That’s the position they totally whiffed

I can totally see this scenario playing out:
We mortgage our draft capital for Caleb Williams. He then pulls an Elway or Eli and refuses to play here. We then have to trade him for a 3rd and a backup guard with potential.
Or blows out an Achilles or gets arrested or turns into a JaMarcus Russell. Doing such a trade is insane. You should not put all you draft stock into a single player (Rickie Williams anyone?).

Last edited:
Please watch the Mac Jones tape again scout's. We picked a raggedy arm, no touch, bad footwork and panicked in a compressed pocket qb. Do not pick another first round bust! Review, review review! Find us a Brady like qb no matter what round. Watch Brady tape while your at it. I hope we draft 2!
Whoa, Mac has great touch. Elite touch. Just watch his 'Bama tape. But he is not so good when running for his life with no WRs that can get open (actually only one who can get open).

Whoa, Mac has great touch. Elite touch. Just watch his 'Bama tape. But he is not so good when running for his life with no WRs that can get open (actually only one who can get open).
So it did not translate to the pro game. Great college weapons he had in college is the key feature we need to judge because we still don't have weapons for any qb we pick as of now...

MHJ didn't participate in the Ohio State Pro Day.. So they didn't miss him..

I agree with you.
Wolf was part of the Mac pick. Not sure how much he pushed if at all on the pick. But it is not reassuring.
Surprising Groh is not part of the group. I do understand he is charge of scouting. Wondering if he pushed for Mac more than Wolf. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall during that #15 pick.

They did get the Barnmore and Gonzo pick right. But we are looking QB this year. That’s the position they totally whiffed

According to Belichick Wolf was the one who made the trade for Barmore.

There’s no way in hell this team has a chance of trading up and getting Caleb Williams. What a joke.
Maybe the Pats went to the USC pro day so they could compare the other QBs against Williams, i.e. how much better is Williams vs. the guys that will be available to the Pats? It's called due dilegence.

Well, I see that my earlier post in this thread was misinterpreted. Stupid of me to just post the money pile picture without a proper explanation of my thinking. My apologies for the poor communication above. I was not trying to imply that they are saving money by not having their leading people at the other pro days.

Echoing what a few other posters have stated here, the decision regarding the QB position is IMHO the single most important player decision they will be making since the Mac Jones selection. It has resounding implications for both their on field and financial performance. They have a choice between several guys that, I think many here agree, each have some potential flaws. Given the recent very unsuccessful experience both they and several other teams have had with first round QBs, they are wise to make sure there is great alignment among their leadership about each of the prospects.

The biggest benefit of the pro days aren’t the workouts, it is the opportunity to talk with the guy and the people he’s been around for several years doing the work the Pats and others need him to do in New England. Having their leaders there helps to get the information they need; the people they talk to are a lot less likely to BS Wolf or Mayo than they may be inclined to when talking to someone lower in the Pats organization.

Last edited:
I would like to double dip with one of McCarthy,Maye, Nix.
And one of Rattler and Milton.

I noticed this headline in the links to Patriots Media News above. And while some of those articles are either old news or clickbait, I have to admit this column is an eye-opener - and not in a good way.

Apparently USC, Texas, Alabama and Ohio State from simultaneously hosting their pro days Wednesday - which is obviously not ideal for any of the 32 NFL teams. The obvious solution would be to split the coaches/scouts/front office up, so the Patriots have a presence at each of these events, right?

No. In fact it is exactly the opposite: they are putting all their eggs into one basket.

New England will have de facto general manager Eliot Wolf, offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt and quarterbacks coach T.C. McCartney all at USC today to watch Caleb Williams, according to Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated. Patriots head coach Jerod Mayo will not be in attendance but will join that same group at Michigan, North Carolina and LSU’s pro days.

What exactly is the point of having Wolf, Van Pelt and McCartney all out at USC to watch Caleb Williams? Are they planning an attempt to trade up? Do they think Williams is going to slip to #3? Yes, USC has other quality players to look at too - but not to the extent the three schools don't rate a single Pats staff member.

The article goes on to compile some of the players the Patriots will not be seeing at their Pro Days - and it is kind of a head scratcher of a list.
The number in parenthesis represents the current consensus among all mock drafts of when that player will be drafted. Thirteen are projected to go in the first two rounds.

- Texas WR Adonai Mitchell (32)
- Texas WR Xavier Worthy (37)
- Texas TE Ja’Tavion Sanders (49)
- Texas DL Byron Murphy (16)
- Texas DL T’Vondre Sweat (45)
- Texas ED Dallas Turner (8)
- Texas RB Jonathan Brooks (56)
- Texas OT Christian Jones (124)
- Texas LB Jaylan Ford (161)
- Texas WR Jordan Whittington (213)
- Alabama CB Kool-Aid McKinstry (22)
- Alabama CB Terrion Arnold (13)
- Alabama OT JC Latham (14)
- Alabama ED Chris Braswell (40)
- Alabama DL Justin Eboigbe (125)
- Alabama WR Jermaine Burton (83)
- Alabama RB Jase McClellan (214)
- Ohio State WR Marvin Harrison Jr. (4)
- Ohio State DL Michael Hall Jr. (64)
- Ohio State TE Cade Stover (87)
- Ohio State LB Tommy Eichenberg (121)
- Ohio State CB Josh proctor (230)
I think the scouting department looks really bad if this is accurate.

I think the scouting department looks really bad if this is accurate.
As others pointed out above - and I overlooked when I first read it - the article is only referencing Wolf, Van Pelt, and QB coach McCartney; Mayo was not at USC. As it turns out the article failed to mention that Alonzo Highsmith was at Alabama's Pro Day. The headline caught my eye, but it was misleading.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back