PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vigilante takes to eBay to thwart auctioning of Aaron Hernandez's jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am POSITIVE an Aaron Hernandez jersey will fall into an item deemed "inappropriate by stadium management", and is not allowed to be worn there. Your "Kraft Sucks!!!" banner would also get yanked the second it was seen by security.
I'm not so sure. First of all, kicking someone out for wearing a Hernandez jersey might just be more trouble than it's worth for the Pats. If some butthole wears a Hernandez jersey, everyone's going to look at him and say "what a butthole." But if the Pats kick that guy out, then all of a sudden it's a big news story, PFT would write an article on it, the local paper would report it, etc, etc.

Furthermore, I think they would have a very tough time saying those jerseys are inappropriate when they are officially license NFL memorabilia formerly sold by the NFL Shop and the Pats Pro Shop.

A) he hasnt been found guilty yet
B) even if found guilty, its freedom of speech to wear whatever you want.. security would have no basis to kick someone out of a game because they're wearing a hernandez jersey. That us uneamerican, as much as you may not agree with it.
You don't have freedom of speech on someone else's property. The people in here saying freedom of speech doesn't apply are 100% correct.

However, that doesn't mean I think people wearing Hernandez jerseys will be kicked out. I think such a course of action would be more trouble than it is worth.

The private property is what is more important.

Leave the Patriots out of it, and consider another hypothetical. Let's say a person does not like Home Depot, and he wears a t-shirt saying how bad Home Depot is into that store, and walks up and down the aisles there telling customers that they should leave and go take their business to Lowe's. When asked to leave he claims he should be allowed to stay, citing freedom of speech.

Obviously in that scenario he is incorrect in his interpretation of the first amendment; the store should not be forced to allow him to do that.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

What Does Free Speech Mean?

That scenario doesnt fall under free speech it falls under solicitation

Furthermore, I think they would have a very tough time saying those jerseys are inappropriate when they are officially license NFL memorabilia formerly sold by the NFL Shop and the Pats Pro Shop.

Bingo.. its officially licensed gear that people paid a lot of money for. The furthest I would see it going is security asking them if they could cover the jersey up or turn it inside out.. There is no way they would kick someone out of the stadium and revoke their season tickets for wearing an officially licensed NFL jersey that they purchased for a lot of money from the Patriots franchise.

I just like that the guy who started this thread used the word "thwart" in the heading. I hadn't seen that word in years. Come to think of it, it kinda sounds like olde english.
ima hafta run around goin' "Hey, ima thwart you" to people.

Hey, it's slow on the 4th. I remember when The Grateful Dead used to play Foxboro on the 4th in both 1987 AND 1989.
They opened up with Playing In The Band and segued into Crazy Fingers in '89. What? To open the first set?
Yeah, and even I though I was tripping balls, I knew that was unorthodox. Felt like when they tun the clocks forward. Playing>Crazy Fingers in the first set? Gez, feels like the second set already. Oh well, I'll just kickback and watch hot loose hippy chicks spin around while the stadium melts before my eyes. heh heh heh.

Just ain't the 4th of July anymore without The Fat Man.

what happened to "it's Sunday!..let's go watch our Pats...tailgate ready...got our banners...what a day it's going to be!"...

Now one has to be aware of being politically correct, properly sensitive to any ancillary "issues" associated with the game, show the proper "respect" to the wishes of other fans who do not share standing up and enthusiastically cheering the team, and run down a 100 item checklist of things NOT to wear or bring to the game.

where did it all go so anal?

what happened to "it's Sunday!..let's go watch our Pats...tailgate ready...got our banners...what a day it's going to be!"...

Now one has to be aware of being politically correct, properly sensitive to any ancillary "issues" associated with the game, show the proper "respect" to the wishes of other fans who do not share standing up and enthusiastically cheering the team, and run down a 100 item checklist of things NOT to wear or bring to the game.

where did it all go so anal?
About 10 years ago, when the Patriots became one of the premiere teams in the NFL. And if you don't believe me, try standing up at a game and see how the people around you feel about that.

Security would be fools for doing that, and it's a shame that any human would think it's a good idea.

I will alter my statement: If anyone wears a Hernandez jersey to a game in Foxboro, I really hope security has them taking it off or turning it inside out as soon as it's seen.

It's a shame that people would be such attention whores to wear a Hernandez jersey to a Pats game, or a Rae Carruth jersey to a Panthers game. People that do such are going to cause a disturbance, and security has the right to ask the person to remove the jersey. If that person is a jerk about it, security can and will boot them from the game.

I hope the vigilante gets sued and has to pay extra damages as well.

Back to the OP's topic:

Ebay states clearly that when you bid on an item, you have entered into a legally binding contract.

Since ebay also owns PayPal, which is now a requirement for bidding and listing, they were able to gain payment through those accounts, and also through the supporting accounts that were connected to ebay.

It is possible to bid on eBay without eBay having a way to get its tentacles into you. You don't have to have a PayPal account to register.

But it is also possible for a seller to refuse bids from people without PayPal accounts and who don't have a certain level of positive feedback. And if a winning bidder doesn't pay up in a certain period of time (predefined in the auction), then to invalidate the win and offer it to the second highest bidder at their highest bid amount.

So it isn't so much about eBay protecting from vigilantes as it is the seller constructing the sale to do so.

solution?

Craigslist...and at least if the jersey doesn't sell you can get laid for cheap...

I will alter my statement: If anyone wears a Hernandez jersey to a game in Foxboro, I really hope security has them taking it off or turning it inside out as soon as it's seen.

It's a shame that people would be such attention whores to wear a Hernandez jersey to a Pats game, or a Rae Carruth jersey to a Panthers game. People that do such are going to cause a disturbance, and security has the right to ask the person to remove the jersey. If that person is a jerk about it, security can and will boot them from the game.

No, the shame is that your sensitivities are apparently too much for you to handle looking at a team-"official" shirt that has a name and number in it.

I will alter my statement: If anyone wears a Hernandez jersey to a game in Foxboro, I really hope security has them taking it off or turning it inside out as soon as it's seen. and security has the right to ask the person to remove the jersey. If that person is a jerk about it, security can and will boot them from the game.

Never, ever going to happen. There will be folks wearing their Hernandez jerseys because they couldn't meet the team's "weekend window of exchange" through no fault of their own, and because they're first and foremost PATRIOTS jerseys, not a socio-political statement. If I see someone at the stadium wearing one, as I suspect I will, that's what I will assume. But if it were me I'd simply take the nameplate off, as I actually did with my authentic Terry Glenn jersey years ago.

(God forbid someone happens to be a fan named Hernandez who had a personalized jersey made.)

No, the shame is that your sensitivities are apparently too much for you to handle looking at a team-"official" shirt that has a name and number in it.

I don't think he is referring to the shirt, but to what it represents.

My "sensitivities"? I guess that's one way to put it. I find it to be in incredibly poor taste to celebrate an alleged murderer by wearing his jersey, and I think the people that would wear it are the types that go by "All attention is good attention". I do understand that what I consider poor taste or offensive isn't offensive to others, so I very well might be way off.

But, we might as well not debate what would/should happen right now. Almost 69,000 people can fit into Gillette and there will be 10 games there this year. At least 1 of the 680,000 visitors will wear a Hernandez jersey, and we will get a solid answer on if it is allowed per Patriots standards. Due to the way the fan code of conduct has that catch all I quoted on the first page, I am pretty sure it will be quickly dealt with.

wearing an Hernandez jersey to a Pats game? hey, you pay a 100 bucks and you can wear a green foam foot with a Rex Ryan bobble head superglued to the big toe for a hat for all I care...
invisi.gif

Hope this isn't too far off-topic, but here's a theory I have. More than a few of these jerseys are being purchased by Jets fans (and probably other teams too, but primarily Jets fans) who are going to wear them (or try to wear them) to their game at Gillette this season. You'll probably see a few of them in the stands at Jets home games too (though the TV people will try to limit how many of them are actually shown on TV.)

Hope this isn't too far off-topic, but here's a theory I have. More than a few of these jerseys are being purchased by Jets fans (and probably other teams too, but primarily Jets fans) who are going to wear them (or try to wear them) to their game at Gillette this season. You'll probably see a few of them in the stands at Jets home games too (though the TV people will try to limit how many of them are actually shown on TV.)

That's a lot of expense just to be an arsehole. I doubt their moms would go along with it.

My "sensitivities"? I guess that's one way to put it. I find it to be in incredibly poor taste to celebrate an alleged murderer by wearing his jersey, and I think the people that would wear it are the types that go by "All attention is good attention". I do understand that what I consider poor taste or offensive isn't offensive to others, so I very well might be way off.

But, we might as well not debate what would/should happen right now. Almost 69,000 people can fit into Gillette and there will be 10 games there this year. At least 1 of the 680,000 visitors will wear a Hernandez jersey, and we will get a solid answer on if it is allowed per Patriots standards. Due to the way the fan code of conduct has that catch all I quoted on the first page, I am pretty sure it will be quickly dealt with.

It's a shirt.
It's a shirt that the team sold to people.
It's got a name and number.

That's it. Anything else you try assigning to it is just that: crap you're trying to assign to it. People found a way to survive despite seeing Michael Vick shirts in Atlanta. The world did not come to an end. People will find a way to survive seeing Hernandez shirts in New England. If you can't put on your big boy pants long enough to handle seeing a shirt with the name "Hernandez" on it, you don't belong out in the adult world.

It's a shirt.
It's a shirt that the team sold to people.
It's got a name and number.

That's it. Anything else you try assigning to it is just that: crap you're trying to assign to it. People found a way to survive despite seeing Michael Vick shirts in Atlanta. The world did not come to an end. People will find a way to survive seeing Hernandez shirts in New England. If you can't put on your big boy pants long enough to handle seeing a shirt with the name "Hernandez" on it, you don't belong out in the adult world.

Anyone who would wear an Ahern jersey to Foxboro is either:

A) insensitive
B) looking to start controversy
C) never watches tv, uses the internet, listens to radio, or reads newspapers

But it's not a crime, just tacky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back