PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Urban Meyer says Tim Tebow still hopes for a career in NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why bother with any of that nonsense? He sucks. Gms wang to concentrate on guys who can actually throw the football. Not on larry from the three stooges making a mockery of the game.

What are you his mother? Keep hoping. "Go Timmy!".

Nope, not his mother. Just a guy who watched the kid take over a ****ty 1-4 team, take them to the playoffs, and beat the Steelers by THROWING THE BALL. You know, being a QB.

His career was a grand total of 14 starts. Eli, through his first 14 starts was a whopping 50.5%

Guess it's a good thing for the Giants that they didn't have you as the coach or GM huh ? I mean, young QB only completing 50% of his passes. You probably would have thrown him out of the league.

I guess they saw him doing things that a pro qb does like reading a defense.

you should post a youtube rant at the GMs. "Leave timmy alone!". You've got it all worked out. Comical. Delusional but comical.

His career was a grand total of 14 starts. Eli, through his first 14 starts was a whopping 50.5%

Guess it's a good thing for the Giants that they didn't have you as the coach or GM huh ? I mean, young QB only completing 50% of his passes. You probably would have thrown him out of the league.

It is definitely a good thing the Giants don't have me as their coach. very astute of you to recognize that.

32 teams had an open shot at Tebow, he could have signed on with any one of them, but not one is interested, why is that?

They don't want to win?

I guess they saw him doing things that a pro qb does like reading a defense.

you should post a youtube rant at the GMs. "Leave timmy alone!". You've got it all worked out. Comical. Delusional but comical.

Nope. Eli didn't show much ability in reading defenses his first couple of years in the NFL. His 3rd year is when he showed real improvement.

It is definitely a good thing the Giants don't have me as their coach. very astute of you to recognize that.

32 teams had an open shot at Tebow, he could have signed on with any one of them, but not one is interested, why is that?

They don't want to win?

Could be any number of things. I'm sure mechanics is a big part of it (though I disagree with them). Another thing that comes to mind is how polarizing he is.

Hell, just look at this thread. It's proof that many people don't think RATIONALLY when it comes to Tebow. Hell, just look at your own posts. You claim that the miserable year with the Jets proves that Tebow isn't an NFL QB, as if the Jet's, Rex Ryan and (at the time) Tony Sparano) have any freaking clue as to what a good QB is.

You went after Tebow's character iirc, talking about "sense of entitlement" and how because of his ego, he wouldn't go to the CFL. I explained repeatedly why going to the CFL was the wrong thing at the time, and why the course he HAS taken is the correct one, but you keep falling back to the same canard.

You then accuse me (and I presume other Tebow fans) of blaming everyone else, and not being willing to look at things critically, when it turns out that YOU are the one who isn't engaging in critical thought here.

Wow, a young QB with only 14 regular season starts has trouble reading NFL Defense. SHOCKING.

Wow, a young QB with only 14 regular season starts stares down receivers. SHOCKING.

Wow, a young QB with only 14 regular season starts has trouble with "the speed of the NFL game". SHOCKING.

Wow, a young QB with only 14 regular season starts has trouble going through progressions. SHOCKING.

Got a newsflash for you, MOST young QBs have trouble with all of the above in their first 2 seasons as a starter.

Could be any number of things. I'm sure mechanics is a big part of it (though I disagree with them). Another thing that comes to mind is how polarizing he is.

Hell, just look at this thread. It's proof that many people don't think RATIONALLY when it comes to Tebow. Hell, just look at your own posts. You claim that the miserable year with the Jets proves that Tebow isn't an NFL QB, as if the Jet's, Rex Ryan and (at the time) Tony Sparano) have any freaking clue as to what a good QB is.

You went after Tebow's character iirc, talking about "sense of entitlement" and how because of his ego, he wouldn't go to the CFL. I explained repeatedly why going to the CFL was the wrong thing at the time, and why the course he HAS taken is the correct one, but you keep falling back to the same canard.

You then accuse me (and I presume other Tebow fans) of blaming everyone else, and not being willing to look at things critically, when it turns out that YOU are the one who isn't engaging in critical thought here.

Wow, a young QB with only 14 regular season starts has trouble reading NFL Defense. SHOCKING.

Wow, a young QB with only 14 regular season starts stares down receivers. SHOCKING.

Wow, a young QB with only 14 regular season starts has trouble with "the speed of the NFL game". SHOCKING.

Wow, a young QB with only 14 regular season starts has trouble going through progressions. SHOCKING.

Got a newsflash for you, MOST young QBs have trouble with all of the above in their first 2 seasons as a starter.
Then why are they persecuting our brave timmy? Guess they don't want to win. Or maybe they hate jesus and boy wonder timmy! "Give timmy a chance!"

Or maybe the sheer ineptitude of this clown is just too much for them. He is quite possibly the worst player in any sport ever. He is a laughingstock. Pure comedy.

Hell, just look at this thread. It's proof that many people don't think RATIONALLY when it comes to Tebow.

gatta-love-irony_o_171493.webp

But all other young Qbs throw the football more accurately.

Most high school QBs can throw better than he did in our training camp.

Comp % is vastly over-rated and doesn't really prove much about a QB. Afterall, Shaun Hill is at 61.9% while Eli Manning is at 58.5%. Would you choose Hill over Eli as your starter?

Slightly overrated perhaps. There is more to being a good QB than having a high completion %. But "vastly overrated"? Absolutely not. If you can't complete passes then it's extremely likely that you are not going to be doing a good job moving the chains.

And I'm sure you're informed enough to understand the difference between a 2.6% gap in completion % in the example you gave, and a 15% gap between Tebow's completion% number and league average.

As I told you before... this league is all about the pass. Period. That is not an opinion, that is a stone cold fact. No point disputing what is fact. Unfortunately, that makes a guy like Tebow a very tough sell for a team at the QB position... and that is exactly the phenomenon we are seeing.

If tebow deserves a shot at qb, then the guy down the block with the prosthetic leg deserves a shot at kick returner.

Or they just think he isn't good enough.

Hell, just look at this thread. It's proof that many people don't think RATIONALLY when it comes to Tebow.
Other than a few posting just because they personally dislike him, the comments about Tebow's deficiencies in this thread have been extremely rational and thoroughly explained. I understand you don't like the arguments, but they are sound nonetheless.

Hell, just look at your own posts. You claim that the miserable year with the Jets proves that Tebow isn't an NFL QB, as if the Jet's, Rex Ryan and (at the time) Tony Sparano) have any freaking clue as to what a good QB is.
What is irrational is to blame a coach for a player not being good enough.

This really isn't an issue to me. The guy cannot get a job in the NFL. Whether he wants to go to a different league to get his chance or not is up to him. I'm not sure why this is part of the conversation.

From my viewpoint, you are making excuses for him. He has failed, Trying to make up reasons or say he was treated unfairly is just trying to disguise the facts with excuses.

The problem is not only that he struggles with every one of those issues, but also that he is a terrible inaccurate passer.

No really they don't. Some have those issues, many of some of those issues. The ones with all of those issues end up out of the league, like Tebow.

If tebow deserves a shot at qb, then the guy down the block with the prosthetic leg deserves a shot at kick returner.

Dude, posts like this really take away from productive discussion.

have any freaking clue as to what a good QB is.

I'd say Tebow's last coach certainly has more than a clue as to what a good QB is.

Hence Tim was shown the door.

Comp % is vastly over-rated and doesn't really prove much about a QB. Afterall, Shaun Hill is at 61.9% while Eli Manning is at 58.5%. Would you choose Hill over Eli as your starter?

Shaun Hill or Eli Manning? Are you kidding? You're comparing a two-time Super Bowl winning starter with the highest cap number in the NFL and with over 35,000 passing yards in ten straight years starting 16 games to a 12-year backup?

I will say this about Shaun Hill. He just signed a $1.75 million contract for 2014 to back up Sam Bradford at St. Louis after 12 years in the NFL as a journeyman. Nobody's signing Tebow to a contract to be the backup. It probably has something to do with Hill's 62% completion rate vs. Tebow's 47.9%.

I have NEWSFLASH for you, Tebow is no longer a "young QB' and the people being irrational are his supporters. By your own admission the game is too fast for him, he cannot read defenses, and he stares down receivers. Additionally he is the most inaccurate QB I have ever seen in my life, and he he has major fumbling issues. OMG-WHAT AM I SAYING--SIGN THE BEAST!

As for being a "polarizing figure," Tebow is not a polarizing figure, it's his fans that cause the polarization because they simply have no grasp of football or reality and believe that regardless of how bad he plays he still deserves to be an NFL QB, when every team in the league clearly disagrees with them. Another NEWSFLASH-If you have been the league for 3-4 years and not one team has any interest in signing you it is because you are not good enough. Because if any team believed he was good enough they would sign him, despite his fans.

As for the CFL, Tebow and his fans see it as beneath him. It was good enough for Warren Moon but below Tebow, and that's an elitist and self entitled perspective on their part. Don't like it? Too bad, that's the truth of the matter, if it weren't he would have been there last season. Football simply isn't important enough to him to do the work needed to get one more shot, however long that may be.

Tebow can be a great special teams player but not a QB. He has the mechanics of Rondo as he attempts to shoot free throws.

Shaun Hill or Eli Manning? Are you kidding? You're comparing a two-time Super Bowl winning starter with the highest cap number in the NFL and with over 35,000 passing yards in ten straight years starting 16 games to a 12-year backup?

I will say this about Shaun Hill. He just signed a $1.75 million contract for 2014 to back up Sam Bradford at St. Louis after 12 years in the NFL as a journeyman. Nobody's signing Tebow to a contract to be the backup. It probably has something to do with Hill's 62% completion rate vs. Tebow's 47.9%.

The comparison of Eli to Shaun Hill demonstrates how irrelevant Comp% is in judging QBs. Eli is the much better QB, even though Hill has a much better Comp %.

The comparison of Eli to Shaun Hill demonstrates how irrelevant Comp% is in judging QBs. Eli is the much better QB, even though Hill has a much better Comp %.

But of course you know that it doesn't mean that, it only means that it isn't the only thing that matters.
Of course you also know that since Manning became not a terrible and inaccurate QB he has completed 60.6% of his passes.
If you were looking at this before he made that improvement you may think Hill was better.
Of course you know that Mannings 7.1 ypa compared to Hills 6.7 more than accounts for the miniscule difference in completion percentage (about 6 completions a year or about 1 every 3 games for Manning) because he is throwing deeper passes.

You also know that a few percentage points difference is not the same as being the least accurate QB in the NFL and completing 47% when the rest of the league is in the 60s.

But of course you know that it doesn't mean that, it only means that it isn't the only thing that matters.
Of course you also know that since Manning became not a terrible and inaccurate QB he has completed 60.6% of his passes.
If you were looking at this before he made that improvement you may think Hill was better.
Of course you know that Mannings 7.1 ypa compared to Hills 6.7 more than accounts for the miniscule difference in completion percentage (about 6 completions a year or about 1 every 3 games for Manning) because he is throwing deeper passes.

You also know that a few percentage points difference is not the same as being the least accurate QB in the NFL and completing 47% when the rest of the league is in the 60s.

And hopefully you will note that Manning went from 48.2% his first year of starting to 63.9% in his SEVENTH year as a starter, which is an increase of 15.2 pts over the years.

Take Tebow's 46.5% and give it a 15.2 pt bump and that would put him at 62.2%. I doubt that he would improve 15 pts, but 10 or 11 pts wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, and that would put him at around 58% give or take.

Point is, it's silly to look at Tebow's 46.5% comp % over his first 14 starts in the NFL and conclude that this proves he isn't an NFL QB.

As noted, Eli Manning is now at 63+% and has won 2 freaking SBs, even though he had a 48.2% comp % in his first season taking over as the starter.

BTW, since you brought Yards per Attempt into it, in Eli's first year, his Y/A was 5.3. Tebow's was 6.3.

Look, I didn't get into this discussion to rehash the entire Tebow debate. Rather, I took issue with a couple of comments that were made. Don't remember all of them at this second, by the most notable ones had to do with him having not gone to the CFL.

IF you want to go through the whole debate, that's fine, I'm game. I'll happily point out that Tebow's stats through his first 14 starts were comparable to Eli's stats though his first 14 starts.

Does that mean that Tebow definitely would follow the same path and develop into a very good QB ? Nope. But what it does show is that it is POSSIBLE. It also shows that it's silly to look at those stats from his first 14 games and conclude that he will never be an NFL QB.

The absolute MOST IMPORTANT thing that Tebow has to do at this time is fix his mechanics and be consistent with them. Best way to do that wasn't to sign up with the CFL, rather, it was to go work INTENSIVELY with someone like Tom House. Not a week, or two, or three, but months and months and months of work.

Will it pay off ? Who knows. It might or it might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back