PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Urban Meyer says Tim Tebow still hopes for a career in NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it is excuse making garbage like this that "chap's" my ass. Tebow gets hero worship and unmitigated love for every inkling of success he has, but all of his failures belong to everybody else. So much for personal responsibility, in Tebowland there isn't any. Go ahead and continue to believe that 32 teams are conspiring against him because of his faith as that clearly makes you feel better, the truth is that his biggest supporter brought him in and he couldn't win himself a job, that's his fault, no one else's.

Good person, lousy quarterback, end of story. Good luck to him in his TV career because his football career is over because his ego is too big to allow him to play in a league that has fostered NFL hall of fame careers.

No, ALL of his "failures" don't belong to everyone else. I'll take a chance and presume that you actually want to engage in a "critical" discussion.

Tebow had/has many flaws that needed to be worked on. Like MOST young QBs, he stared down receivers. Like MOST young QBs, he had trouble going through his progressions. Like most young QB's, he had trouble reading NFL defenses. Like MOST young QBs, he had trouble recognizing that receivers were "NFL open".

I was watching a Panther game last year and it was funny to hear the analysts talking about how Cam Newton had started to look past his first read, and actually go through progressions. They talked about how it usually takes time/experience for young QBs to do that.

Watch a San Fran game and see how often Kaep goes through progressions. If you want, I'll save you some time, he doesn't do it often. Now, if Kaep was an 8 year veteran starter, that would be cause for concern. But, he's not. He's still young and relatively inexperienced as an NFL QB.

Bringing this back on point, Tebow has lots of flaws, flaws that most of us supporters acknowledge and will discuss. But, don't confuse "flaws" with the BS that you and others have spouted.

And wouldn't you know, you are STILL trotting out that BS about him not playing in the CFL because his ego is too big.

Watching timmy play for the pats was like watching someone who should be in special olympics. I'm half convinced Belichick left him in just for comedic effect. It was like one of the three stooges was playing. Comedy gold!

Watching timmy play for the pats was like watching someone who should be in special olympics. I'm half convinced Belichick left him in just for comedic effect. It was like one of the three stooges was playing. Comedy gold!

You can give your opinion. But it's the second time you've mentioned this. Please, don't say that.

You can give your opinion. But it's the second time you've mentioned this. Please, don't say that.

Yes, I fully agree. There's no place here for comments like that.

I do believe that kennyb's comments were not intended to offend, though. I think it was nothing more than a matter of poor wording.

And wouldn't you know, you are STILL trotting out that BS about him not playing in the CFL because his ego is too big.

Oh, OK. So you are saying that Tebow is going to go take a job in th CFL when his mechanics are ready?

Tebow had/has many flaws that needed to be worked on. Like MOST young QBs, he stared down receivers. Like MOST young QBs, he had trouble going through his progressions. Like most young QB's, he had trouble reading NFL defenses. Like MOST young QBs, he had trouble recognizing that receivers were "NFL open".

Tebow would probably be able to progress and overcome those issues were it not for the one overriding issue he has as a QB, he cannot throw the ball accurately, and unlike the college game the NFL is a league that demands pinpoint accuracy and if you don't have that you cannot play QB in the pro's. And it Tebow's case it is a serious serious issue, he may well be the most innaccurate passer i have ever seen, and it is the reason no team in the NFL will even give him a look at this point, because every GM in football knows that you cannot have a QB who has trouble getting passes within 5 feet of open receivers. Tebow doesn't just miss, he misses by a mile, and in the NFL missing by inches can mean turnovers, and they are the kryptonite for every team. Coaches have been working on his mechanics for years now, and he simply cannot overcome this problem because when the real bullets start flying he reverts to his old mechanics and balls go flying too far in front, too high over, and too far behind his receivers for them to even come close to catching them. At this point i would put the likelihood of him overcoming his accuracy problems well below one percent, however i will concede that it is still "possible" for him to find a coach who can teach him proper mechanics that stick with him, go get a job in the CFL and overcome the other issues you stated, and prove to NFL teams he is worth taking another chance on, but he is going to have go a long long ways to achieve that. If he wants to try to achieve it i wish him, all the luck in the world, and i would actually be impressed and happy for him if he somehow managed to achieve it, because it is a big uphill climb from where he is now.

Tebow will never play in the NFL again because whether he realized it or not, the Patriots are the last stop on the line. Belichick is recognized as the GOAT and everyone else in the league knows that if anyone can get anything out of a player then he will find a way.

There are numerous examples of players who were either malcontents or just underutilized who came to the Patriots and either had a renaissance or blossomed into stars. Corey Dillon, Randy Moss, Mike Vrabel, Rodney Harrison, Junior Seau and Wes Welker are perfect examples. Many players will come to the Patriots to prove they have something left or more to offer and then move on to other teams who now see their value and are willing to take a chance that they can replicate what Belichick did. Legarrette Blount and Aqib Talib are the two most recent examples.

The other side of this is also true. If the Patriots can't find something to do with you, then that's it, you're done, you have nothing left to offer. Ochocinco and Brandon Lloyd are examples of this. The Patriots are the last stop on the line, not because they are desperate but because they are so adept at finding a place for players.

The Yards per Attempt (active) is here: NFL Active Yards per Pass Attempt Leaders - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Tebow's career 6.7 YPA would put him just behind Andrew Luck's 6.8, tied with Ryan Tanehill's 6.7.

There are reasons to explain this. It's probably better if you guys stuck to the obvious truths -- Tebow has displayed serious issues with his mechanics, difficulty dropping back and delivering the ball on time and on target. He's had a shot and had his shortcomings.

Because if you play the stat game, it ends up with him being one of the more effective quarterbacks (young in his career) to get washed out without even a true backup gig to work on it.

Thank you digging into pro-football reference. You are correct, Tebow's tied for 24th in yards per attempt on the list of active quarterbacks. Tim Tebow NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

He's dead last on the active QB list in career completion percentage with his glowing 47.9% completion rate. NFL Active Pass Completion % Leaders - Pro-Football-Reference.com

That doesn't help much and may explain why he's a college football analyst.

Oh, OK. So you are saying that Tebow is going to go take a job in th CFL when his mechanics are ready?

Don't know. IF I were advising Tebow, I'd tell him to continue to work with House for as long as possible to make the mechanics second nature, muscle memory, whatever you want to call it.

Then, I'd start arranging workouts with NFL teams that had a history of actually developing QBs. IF he didn't end up on an NFL roster at that point, then I'd approach the subject of going to the CFL for a year or two.

Thank you digging into pro-football reference. You are correct, Tebow's tied for 24th in yards per attempt on the list of active quarterbacks. Tim Tebow NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

He's dead last on the active QB list in career completion percentage with his glowing 47.9% completion rate. NFL Active Pass Completion % Leaders - Pro-Football-Reference.com

That doesn't help much and may explain why he's a college football analyst.

Comp % is vastly over-rated and doesn't really prove much about a QB. Afterall, Shaun Hill is at 61.9% while Eli Manning is at 58.5%. Would you choose Hill over Eli as your starter?

Don't know. IF I were advising Tebow, I'd tell him to continue to work with House for as long as possible to make the mechanics second nature, muscle memory, whatever you want to call it.

Then, I'd start arranging workouts with NFL teams that had a history of actually developing QBs. IF he didn't end up on an NFL roster at that point, then I'd approach the subject of going to the CFL for a year or two.

And if I were an NFL GM I would require at least a season of demonstrating he could actually pass accurately in real action in a real league before even bringing him in for a tryout. He has been through the underwear olympics before and nothing he can show in them makes any difference to what he can do in real game situations.

Imo his career is already over, and when he returns to the booth in the fall it will seal the deal. It simply isn't important enough to him to do what's necessary to get another shot.

Comp % is vastly over-rated and doesn't really prove much about a QB. Afterall, Shaun Hill is at 61.9% while Eli Manning is at 58.5%. Would you choose Hill over Eli as your starter?

Feel free to provide us the list of competent NFL QB's with a completion % under 50%.

And if I were an NFL GM I would require at least a season of demonstrating he could actually pass accurately in real action in a real league before even bringing him in for a tryout. He has been through the underwear olympics before and nothing he can show in them makes any difference to what he can do in real game situations.

Imo his career is already over, and when he returns to the booth in the fall it will seal the deal. It simply isn't important enough to him to do what's necessary to get another shot.

Why ? It doesn't cost a team anything to have him in for a work out. Doesn't cost a team much to sign him and bring him into camp (whatever the per diem is).

Feel free to provide us the list of competent NFL QB's with a completion % under 50%.

In their first substantive starts ? Let's start with Eli Manning and his 48.2% when he took over as a starter.

Why ? It doesn't cost a team anything to have him in for a work out. Doesn't cost a team much to sign him and bring him into camp (whatever the per diem is).

Because his real problems start when he is in real action, not in his gym shorts, and no number of workouts will ever change that. Until he goes out and shows he can throw the ball consistently accurately in real game conditions there is no point in bringing him in . Unfortunately for him the CFL is beneath him so that won't be happening.

Because his real problems start when he is in real action, not in his gym shorts, and no number of workouts will ever change that. Until he goes out and shows he can throw the ball consistently accurately in real game conditions there is no point in bringing him in . Unfortunately for him the CFL is beneath him so that won't be happening.

I completely agree that they would want to see him under duress, to see if he kept his "new" mechanics or reverted back. BUT, they could find that out in camp pretty quickly.

Like I said, it costs almost nothing to bring him in. First step would be to watch some tape of him working out to see if it's even worth bringing him in. If they like what they see, then bring him in for some grueling workouts. Get him tired, have a bunch of distracting noise going on, throw things at him that are completely unscripted.

If they still like what they see, sign him and bring him into mini camp or full camp. They would be free to cut him at any time, just as the Pats did last year.

I completely agree that they would want to see him under duress, to see if he kept his "new" mechanics or reverted back. BUT, they could find that out in camp pretty quickly.

Like I said, it costs almost nothing to bring him in. First step would be to watch some tape of him working out to see if it's even worth bringing him in. If they like what they see, then bring him in for some grueling workouts. Get him tired, have a bunch of distracting noise going on, throw things at him that are completely unscripted.

If they still like what they see, sign him and bring him into mini camp or full camp. They would be free to cut him at any time, just as the Pats did last year.
Why bother with any of that nonsense? He sucks. Gms wang to concentrate on guys who can actually throw the football. Not on larry from the three stooges making a mockery of the game.

What are you his mother? Keep hoping. "Go Timmy!".

He is under 50% career, period.

His career was a grand total of 14 starts. Eli, through his first 14 starts was a whopping 50.5%

Guess it's a good thing for the Giants that they didn't have you as the coach or GM huh ? I mean, young QB only completing 50% of his passes. You probably would have thrown him out of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick