PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unpopular Opinion: I think Reich made the right call.

Frank Reich is an idiot because now we know the reasoning behind it: he thinks in absolutes. He’s going to be a huge failure as a head coach.

If this were the last game of the season, and a tie got you into the playoffs and a loss wouldn’t, you’d make that same call? Because when you look at tiebreakers, it’s not that far fetched at all that a half game often makes a huge difference in the NFL.

If it were 4th and 42, he’d still go for it?

Saying you’re only playing to win is incredibly bone-headed and makes me question if he is able to think on a strategic level required to coach a professional football team.

I like it. I mean playing for the tie could theoretically cot you a playoff spot right. Doesnt it go both ways?

There are no ties in hockey, football or Bball

COLLEGE OT

If they converted he would have been at least at the 50 with around 20 seconds left and one timeout still. If they don't convert you hope your defense can make one or two plays in 24 seconds while the other team has no timeouts and grind out a tie. It was IMO a good call to go for it. Didn't work out

He could win in overtime, right?

I still want no OT in regular season...if coaches are going to make stupid decisions like this to avoid ties anyway, let them do it in regulation time. I’d be all for more ties - win the damn game or don’t but do it in 60. More Hail Marys and desperate last drives because no one is waiting for OT to save them.

PS it was dumb he handed a division team a very winnable situation with 12 games to go, and he predictably got burned. Feeling any shame in taking the draw could be a gut wrenching deal for some teams. Not expecting it to matter for either of these two though.

I like it because you cant get ties.

The thing I dont like about the OT now in the NFL is that it is shorter. More likely to get ties which I hate

The NFL shortening OT, and the NFL going to the "everyone gets a try, unless there's a TD" are both stupid decisions by the league. 15 minutes, "next point wins" was working just fine, and ties were very rare.

You can defend it (although i think it was stupid and he should of punted) purely because the Colts are basically playing for next year, they've gutted their team of the Grigson players and have $120m to spend in the off season and they're getting a lot of young players playing a lot of game time so they'll have depth next year.

The Colts season is judged on Andrew Luck staying healthy and being 100% for 2019, i think in the circumstances you can defend the call slightly more but you can't have your QB throw for 460 and 4TDs and lose.

Did you see the play where the center snapped the ball like Luck was under center when he was in the gun and the Texans fell on it for a TD?

You can defend it because the Colts are basically playing for next year, they've gutted their team of the Grigson players and have $120m to spend in the off season and they're getting a lot of young players playing a lot of game time so they'll have depth next year.

The Colts season is judged on Andrew Luck staying healthy and being 100% for 2019, i think in the circumstances you can defend the call slightly more but you can't have your QB throw for 460 and 4TDs and lose.

Stats like that are BRUTAL.

They got 1 million holding penalties. Luck turns it over a lot. However they have done nothing to help that guy

They got 1 million holding penalties. Luck turns it over a lot. However they have done nothing to help that guy

Ryan Grigson and Chuck Pagano left a mess, it's not really a 1 year fix is it.

They basically left nothing outside of Luck/Hilton and that's about it, when Luck was out last year Brissett almost got sent to IR the beating he was taking.

Ryan Grigson and Chuck Pagano left a mess, it's not really a 1 year fix is it.

They basically left nothing outside of Luck/Hilton and that's about it, when Luck was out last year Brissett almost got sent to IR the beating he was taking.

Talking about lucks career in general

You can defend it (although i think it was stupid and he should of punted) purely because the Colts are basically playing for next year, they've gutted their team of the Grigson players and have $120m to spend in the off season and they're getting a lot of young players playing a lot of game time so they'll have depth next year.

Luck threw 62 passes today, so the stance that they are playing for next year and conserving luck would just makes reich look worse imo.

If the Colts are out of the playoff hunt that call is fine, but at this stage of the season it’s a brutal call.

Luck threw 62 passes today, so the stance that they are playing for next year and conserving luck would just makes reich look worse imo.

62 passes and now on a short week? I like it

The decision was indefensible. A tie preserves your ability to win a divisional head to head tiebreaker since you play two games, whereas a loss does not. The decision may have been more defensible later in the year or in a different game situation, but at this point it made sense to cut losses. And I think NFL coaches trend too conservative.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back