PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unless the Patriots have other assets to trade, the Cooks deal has sealed Garoppolo's fate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with the Conventional Wisdom that says that all of their actions so far suggest that the Pats have decided to trade Garoppolo. No one knows what the Hooded One will do...and I certainly don't claim to do so. But, I think we have to remember that the Pats did use their early round draft picks...they just didn't use them in the Draft itself.

If Belichick holds on to Garoppolo, as I think he will, then he's basically decided that, for this year at least, there is a better value and a better fit, based on their performance in the NFL, among available Roster Players than among potential 1st or 2nd round draftees.

Thinking about it, that's a very rational, if unconventional, way of using Draft picks...but we all know that BB has never been constrained by convention.

Two things to remember: one, the NFL is a copy cat league; two, Bill Belichick lives, rent free, in the heads of many GM's and HC's.

If this is how it plays out and if the strategy is viewed as successful, then I think we will see a half dozen GM's or Personnel Directors doing the same thing next year.

Couple things to note:

1. There's nothing preventing NE from taking a QB with one of these picks. If they get multiple 1's, they could take a guy this year or next. Remember, JAG was a 2nd round pick. If they can find a similar player, they can reset the clock on developing a back-up.

2. There's no reason to trade him unless they get a significant return. They have some time to move him, but this off-season is the time to maximize his value. Interesting to see the #1 overall pick being mentioned.

But wait, Patsfan forum said Belichick doesnt have to bother drafting in the 1st ot 2nd round? :rolleyes:

Two things to remember: one, the NFL is a copy cat league; two, Bill Belichick lives, rent free, in the heads of many GM's and HC's.

If this is how it plays out and if the strategy is viewed as successful, then I think we will see a half dozen GM's or Personnel Directors doing the same thing next year.

BB was the god-king of the 3-4 and when the league decided to copy and competed for those kinds of players, he changed his scheme and moved on

But wait, Patsfan forum said Belichick doesnt have to bother drafting in the 1st ot 2nd round? :rolleyes:

And I care what Kevin Duffy and Jaydeen Allen think because......???

Or, to paraphrase Duffy, "Over the past 51 seasons only 0.0% of the time has a team other than the Patriots competed in seven and won five Super Bowls over the course of 16 years." Or Allen, "It's hard to believe that the Patriots can come back from a 25 point deficit with time winding down in the third Quarter of the Super Bowl."

In other words, the Patriots march, quite successfully, to a different drummer.

I really don't think Belichick looks to the likes of Duffy and Allen for much advice that he would take seriously...unless they knew the way to the Mens' Room and he didn't.

PS: What they didn't say..."we're really worried that our bosses won't let us expense a trip to the Draft if the Pats aren't part of Rounds 1 and 2."

I'm really reconconsidering the premise of my thread. Maybe I overreacted to the lack of draft picks that as a fan, I look forward to seeing every year :D:p

But if the Browns or some other team got stupid and wanted to offer a motherload of draft picks (incl. multiple 1s) I would not be surprised if Jimmy got dealt right before the draft. I hope it doesn't happen, but it's certainly possible (even likely) that it does.

But from what I can tell, the 2017 Patriots are expected to be a juggernaut, and the organization doesn't want a Brady injury to derail their title aspirations a la 2008. Say what you want about Brissett, the team likes Garoppolo; feels he can be a starter, and want to keep him as insurance until further notice.

Even Zolak has come to admit this (or rather, confirm it with people he knows inside the organization)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back