PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unfortunate: Jordan Matthews put on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patterson has been a solid 3 WR (which is all he needs to be) everywhere he played for the most part. How is that "bad" considering he is one of the best KO return guys all time?

Nobody was asking him to be a 1000 yard guy here.

Sounds like you're box score scouting here. He's shown very little despite lots of playing time. His route running is below average, and there have been plenty of times where he looks uninterested or lazy. He gets chances because he's physically gifted in terms of size/speed but he's never shown anything to indicate he's a good receiver. Watch him play and project what you see into New England's scheme. It's hard to do because the qualities you need to have to thrive in New England - IQ, precision, technique - are his weaknesses.

I said he was the most productive slot WR 14-16 which he was.

What does that have to do with an unfortunate injury to the guy?

He's got basically the exact same career trajectory as Austin Collie. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sounds like you're box score scouting here. He's shown very little despite lots of playing time. His route running is below average, and there have been plenty of times where he looks uninterested or lazy. He gets chances because he's physically gifted in terms of size/speed but he's never shown anything to indicate he's a good receiver. Watch him play and project what you see into New England's scheme. It's hard to do because the qualities you need to have to thrive in New England - IQ, precision, technique - are his weaknesses.

Patterson's a weird gadget player, a rich man's Tavon Austin. He can be very productive in limited snaps but you need to manufacture specific situations for him to be effective. Thankfully the Patriots are good at that kind of thing, but I think he'll make the team on his special teams play and offensive contributions are gravy.

I have to admit that i'm surprised. I don't think it had anything to do with his play and had more to do with the injury. It probably was the kind of injury that would take a WR well into the season to come back from, and we need WR help the most in the first 4 games.

I'm fine cutting him if that's the case. The Patriots have options at WR and I don't want to use the IR designated to return tag on him.

As Many pointed out, Kenny Britt was neck and neck and some would say in the lead for the position of starter before he went down. They were never going to keep both Britt and Jordan. Neither play STs and they are both are a bit too similar too each other.

Yes Jordan is more the physical type or makes contested catches and Britt is more of a speedy guy but in the end both are 6'3 big bodied WR who tend to go a lot done after the 10 yard line.

The Patriots were never going to cut Dorsett or Patterson. Dorsett is the home run hitting and plays STs and Patterson will be our return man and a decent slot option(keep in mind... when i say slot option I mean short passes at the line more than running a slot route tree). Those guys fill 2 spots. Hogan is in the circle of trust and not going anywhere. That's 4 WRs plus Slater.

The more I look at the roster the more I think they go with 4 guys for 4 weeks. Keep in mind that most teams only carry 4 guys who can actually play WR. The 5th and 6th guys only do STs. In Patterson's and Dorsett's case they can do both. It seems a little lite but when you consider their #1 WR is coming back in 4 weeks and looking as good as ever the risk is very small.

They will be carrying 6 RBs (counting Develin and Bolden) and 3 TEs. Even with 2 QBs that's going to be 25 listed offensive players even if they go light somewhere else BEFORE they add Edelman.

Personally I'm fine with them going light on WR to open the year. I would like them to carry an extra CB and see what some of those impressive young guys can do.

Last edited:
He would have been released with injury designation which is the same thing.

not really the same by my understanding . put directly on IR team better controls the player and next move

After a player is waived/injured, the player and the team have five days to agree to an injury settlement.

EDIT: though there should be settlement in any case if Matthews wants to play again this season

Last edited:
He has shown to be an effective 3rd or 4th option and a All Pro ST player. Not sure why that would be bad at any level. And the last two years he showed it with two different teams/systems and QBs - Bradford and Carr. Lets see what he can do with TB.

All we can do is speculate that he would be a "bad" first or second WR on a team. I would agree that is probable. But nothing he has done has been bad given what role he is filling. With Brady I would think he has a shot of being better than he has been.

In regards to Patterson. As someone pointed out he is a gadget player. That won't change here. He will never understand the Patriots system and never be in the circle of trust. He's just not that kind of player. What he is is a great athlete with good hands who can be in a the spot you tell him too. That's not ideal but if you're talented enough it can work.

He i a guy I think they will give 10 end arounds to this season and when you see him break 2 or 3 for 30+ yards cause he made and insane cut to make a LB miss an then turned on the burners to get deep into the 2nd level you'll see the talent that made him a first round pick with all his draw backs.

When you see him catch several passes at or behind the line and follow the blocking for a 20 yards gain you'll start to talk yourself into the 'wait till next year when he learns the system' thing. When on a broken play he gets open and then makes guy after guy miss to take a 20 yards pass into the end zone for 50 you'll think to yourself the same thing I will.

"If anyone can teach him how to run a route tree and and understand a play book it is BB. If only he could do those things he'd be a top 10 WR in the NFL". And all that is true. But it won't matter. He will never learn the route tree or play book.

Something about the mental side of the game just doesn't click in his head at this level, and it never will. Doesn't mean he can't be a value weapon on offense and a good 3rd or 4th WR is put in the right spots.

Reiss is reporting that the Pats plan to reach an injury settlement with Matthews..

In regards to Patterson. As someone pointed out he is a gadget player. That won't change here. He will never understand the Patriots system and never be in the circle of trust. He's just not that kind of player. What he is is a great athlete with good hands who can be in a the spot you tell him too. That's not ideal but if you're talented enough it can work.

He i a guy I think they will give 10 end arounds to this season and when you see him break 2 or 3 for 30+ yards cause he made and insane cut to make a LB miss an then turned on the burners to get deep into the 2nd level you'll see the talent that made him a first round pick with all his draw backs.

When you see him catch several passes at or behind the line and follow the blocking for a 20 yards gain you'll start to talk yourself into the 'wait till next year when he learns the system' thing. When on a broken play he gets open and then makes guy after guy miss to take a 20 yards pass into the end zone for 50 you'll think to yourself the same thing I will.

"If anyone can teach him how to run a route tree and and understand a play book it is BB. If only he could do those things he'd be a top 10 WR in the NFL". And all that is true. But it won't matter. He will never learn the route tree or play book.

Something about the mental side of the game just doesn't click in his head at this level, and it never will. Doesn't mean he can't be a value weapon on offense and a good 3rd or 4th WR is put in the right spots.
I hate it because he is a South Carolina kid, but this is spot on IMO.

I don't know about the mental stuff, I'm always very leery about making judgments about players' football IQ. The Patriots were willing to bring the guy in. His biggest issue is that he doesn't get open well.

Still, he's averaged more yards per snap in his career than Hogan has, for example, which suggests he's more than capable of being an efficient and useful player even in a limited capacity.

I'm not a big fan of Jarvis Landry but, despite the size difference, Patterson and him play similar games and he costs a lot less than Landry.

from Reiss:

Wide receiver Jordan Matthews, who injured his right hamstring in Sunday's fourth practice of training camp, was released by the New England Patriots on Wednesday.

Because he was injured, the Patriots first placed Matthews on injured reserve and then reached an injury settlement with the receiver that allows him to play again later this season, if healthy.

This is what kills me about A LOT of fans...how do you ACTUALLY know this? You're just talking out of your ass

Oklahoma State had to simplify their offense for him. From that starting point, I think fans are justified in assuming he would struggle to pick up ours.

Yes to the first sentence. Regarding the second sentence, Dez doesn’t have the brain for this offense. It would be Ochocinco all over again.

He wants a payday.

Browns have loads of cap space.

He wants a payday.

Browns have loads of cap space.
I think there may have been a report that came out today stating that CLE wasn’t viewing him as a fit, but who knows?

I think there may have been a report that came out today stating that CLE wasn’t viewing him as a fit, but who knows?

Cleveland is in dire straits.

Gordon is a drug test away from the Arena league.
Landry is good
Louis is lost for the season
Coleman has broken his hand the last 2 seasons
Higgins has lots to prove.
Janis is a jag.

They have a couple of rookies too.

Berrios or McCarron will be fine in that role, and it's nice to see monster receiver Cordarelle Patterson lining up in the slot in Foxboro.
The board expert told me that Patterson would NOT be in the slot.

Never forget tho :D

TOmBradyThompkins.gif
I'm not a season ticket holder but I usually get to one or two games a year and I was lucky enough to be at this one.... Fuching nutz.

You think two garbage WR like Berrios or McCarron can replace Amendola? A proven high end #3/solid starter who is probably the best big game performing non QB in franchise history?

Really?

Randy Moss says hi from Canton.

He would be eligible for one of the possible IR return slots

I this is incorrect. AFAIK, a player must be on the active roster after final cuts, and THEN placed on IR to be eligible for return. A player sent to IR now is on "season-ending" IR - UNLESS they agree on a settlement-release.

WRT settlements, IIRC, according to Miguel, the original team can re-sign the player only after the period of the settlement, plus three weeks, has expired.

I this is incorrect. AFAIK, a player must be on the active roster after final cuts, and THEN placed on IR to be eligible for return. A player sent to IR now is on "season-ending" IR - UNLESS they agree on a settlement-release.

WRT settlements, IIRC, according to Miguel, the original team can re-sign the player only after the period of the settlement, plus three weeks, has expired.

reunion unlikely though . they moved on pretty quickly . less impressed than beats probably (carrying MM, Britt on inj., Gillislee last yr etc)

a pity esp. bc he offered ST value as well . new #80 short-lived

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand