SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Sun
Sep 22nd
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
White Wash
It was a whitewash in Miami as the Patriots defense rocked the Dolphins and New England improved to 2-0 on the season.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Uh-oh. Looks like the NFL is seriously considering the 18/16 concept

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by QuantumMechanic, Jul 12, 2019.

1. patfanken

patfanken PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21,213
    ---

I think you make my point well. Name the game after September the last 5 years where 3 starters weren't missing from a game. BTW- thanks for actually doing the math on how many on average have to sit.

There are certainly tweaks that could be added to this scenario, like exempting QB's, and kickers that would make it more palatable.

You'll have to elaborate more on this.

It would seem to me that the deepest and most balanced team will be the ones that win more games than others. Assuming your numbers are correct, every game a team will have to have 3 quality back ups ready to play. Andy, can you think of a team offhand that over the years has created deep roster and constantly finds players who they can put on the field and play quality downs? One comes immediately to MY mind. (because I have a keen sense of the obvious ;) )

You are right in saying the deepest and most balanced team will win. But those are the "better teams to begin with. Clearly this will hurt teams who front load their cap space to "starters" and I for one think that's a good idea. Like America, having a strong MIDDLE class the cornerstone to a solid organization.

2. XLIX

XLIX Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +12,625
    ---
    This logic doesn't work. You seem to think 3 starters a missing from any given football game, therefore this 16/18 scenario will work. But it isn't like those 3 starters are chosen at random and evenly distributed among the 22 starters.

I did a quick count on PFR and counted 26 Patriots who played 15 or more games for the Patriots last year. That's half the gameday roster that would be forced into being a healthy scratch under these new rules (which aren't going to happen anyway).

And that's doesn't even begin to address the situation where you bench a guy early in the season to get his mandatory 2 benchings in, then that player gets injured so you lose him, but you still have to bench his replacement twice, so now you got the 3rd stringer starting....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
  3. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29,539
    ---
    There are many games where healthy players dont have to sit out. Like all of them.
    The patriots had 23 players play all 16 games and 7 more play 15.

It’s a terrible idea and tweaks won’t fix that.

You would have to chose which games to not play your players. That choice may decide games.

I’m not looking for them to make rule changes to destroy the game because it helps the patriots.

I didn’t say that.
    Deepest and must balanced isn’t necessarily the best.

I’m talking about the product on the field not legislating team building strategies.

4. Taco

Taco Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +318
    ---
    For those that care about fantasy football imagine all the extra roster tinkering lol. Hard pass for me on 18 games.

5. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +2,487
    ---
    The nfl needs to have an 18 game schedule.

Greed runs both ways, owners and players.

1.) Expand roster sizes.
    2.) give players a bigger percent of the pie.
    3.) guarantee at least 50 percent of each player’s contract.
    4.) expand health care coverage including post career.
    5.) make officials year round full time employees.
    6.) make doctors, nurses, sports shrinks etc, mandatory for each team’s staffs and on game day.

Greed can make an 18 game schedule a reality.

6. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +9,297
    ---
    The ideal solution ( which obviously won't happen) is to give an extra bye week. It becomes an 18 week/16 game season with no more wear and tear on the players but an extra TV week of revenues. The only question is whether you start the season earlier (before Labor Day) or go later into February. The only problem with the latter solution is that conference championships will be later in January increasing the chances for a snowstorm if in a northern outdoor stadium.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 50-yard-line

50-yard-line In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6,115
    ---
    Great point. I went to a game to see OJ Simpson...mid-70s. In like the 1st Quarter, he got in a wild fight (he got punched in the nuts, I think) and got ejected.

I was there to watch him run - the only chance I ever got. It sucked. I don't even remember who won the game.

8. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +29,539
    ---
    Your plan sounds like it would end up costing owners more than it makes them.

One point as to #3. This doesn’t help players overall. It just shifts more money to players who get injured or would be cut at the expense of the other players.
    With a cap any guarantees are zero sum gain for the players in total.

9. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +9,297
    ---
    Desert Sun 8 November 1976 — California Digital Newspaper Collection

• Like Like x 2
  10. XLIX

Ratings:
    +12,625
    ---
    • Sad Sad x 1
  11. borg

borg PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,104
    ---
    See what’s going on
    The NFL has changed the narrative from....”We’d like to lengthen the season”
    to.......”How would you like to whack
    up the extra $15 mill”

The NFLPA will eventually kick to the gutter their phony 16 game hard stance and grab for the money when the price is right.
    Funny how the NFLPA isn’t protective of their playoff participants who play up to 20 real games. Crickets

https://pro football talk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/16/on-18-games-will-nfl-make-players-an-offer-they-cant-refuse/

12. DaBronxPats14

DaBronxPats14 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,738
    ---
  13. brdmaverick

brdmaverick PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,534
    ---
    Conceptually, from a player health standpoint, it makes sense.

The seasons is 16 games long and every team has a 'mash unit' as it is by the end of the season.

So you can't have an 18 game season where everyone plays 18 games. Just more chance for injury.

Of course, someone's counterpoint could be that the Pats have had an 18+ game season the last 8 years and seem to do just fine, but htey are probably more the exception (as they are with everything).

I don't like the 18 game idea anyway, but I understand why they'd have to do something drastic to make it work. It would just really stink for those people expecting Brady only to get Hoyer.

14. Chevy

Chevy Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,002
    ---
    So, to recap the "plan":

Let's take two preseason games and move them to the regular season. But - we won't know which two!

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. XLIX

Ratings:
    +12,625
    ---
    Yeah the NFLPA is just playing a hard line negotiation. But once DeMaurice Smith said "If somebody wants to make an 18-game proposal, we'll look at it." it reminded me of an old saying...

OK, now that we know what you are, it's just a matter of haggling over the price.

I'd demand appropriate salary adjustments for current players, legalized pot, no more franchise tag, a shorter period where a player has no control over his career, all Article 46 suspensions go to independent arbitrator, and a couple extra revenue sharing streams go to the shared revenue pool (and not the owners only pool)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  16. XLIX

Ratings:
    +12,625
    ---
    The Patriots have averaged over 18 games per season since Tom Brady became QB. Of course, the problem becomes that excellent teams will have several years of 20+ instead of 18+.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. dreighver

dreighver Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2,421
    ---
    Regardless of how anyone feels about this proposal, it does not legislate team building.

18. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +29,539
    ---
    Well the poster I was responding to was discussing it from that point of view.

19. Nehalem

Nehalem 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2,314
    ---
    The difference is we were all hoping the Patriots would give the league a massive FU... mission accomplished :cool:

The Patriots also had a pretty good backup QB for at least 2 games.

That Buffalo game was pretty lame though. Wouldn't want to see 2 games a year of that.

20. patfanken

patfanken PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21,213
    ---
    And I'm sure the Pats would be very competitive in the 2 games Hoyer would play under a 16/18 scenario. It's a game of football TEAMS, not footaball QB's

And yes the 2016 season was a MASSIVE f*ck you to the NFL and because of it it rivals the 2001 season as my all time favorite. What a year.....and the best part is that only the really die hard haters believe that the laws of physics were some how repealed in the 2014 AFCCG. It is pretty much common knowledge, even to normal haters, that Brady was railroaded in a blatant attempt to narrow the gap between the Pats and the rest of the league.

Greater still is that the RESULT of that attempt has been 3 straight superbowl appearances and 2 Lombardis. :D