PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

UDFA tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't it a waste of money (no matter how small) to sign him in the first place?

Why? He's a developmental prospect and they now own his rights for at least three years, maybe four. There won't be an immediate return on the investment, but we don't know that there won't be later.

Wasn't it a waste of money (no matter how small) to sign him in the first place?

Interesting question. My guess is that they intended to NFI him all along, but needed to sign him first. He could be in the mix at slot. It does seem curious for timing. It's not like Davis last year -- they waited several months to sign him, and I'm not sure how or even if it counted against the rookie pool. Wish I knew more of the details about how the cap works.

Broken hearted... the Cowboys beat us to the punch to be first in line for the services of TE David Wells, this off seasons irrational binky.

Interesting question. My guess is that they intended to NFI him all along, but needed to sign him first. He could be in the mix at slot. It does seem curious for timing. It's not like Davis last year -- they waited several months to sign him, and I'm not sure how or even if it counted against the rookie pool. Wish I knew more of the details about how the cap works.

It’s not really an interesting question. They can’t put him on their NFI list to stash him on their IR unless they sign him first. Pretty simple. This was clearly planned.

It seems to me that the difference in the timing of the signings of Andrews and Davis is likely related to the difference in injury type and time of diagnosis.

Davis' bulging disk in his neck was only discovered at the Combine (even Davis was unaware of it). Such an injury is far less common than an ACL tear (+meniscus). The treatment protocol and recovery timetable are far less well-defined.

I had one myself a few years back, and the neurologist's initial treatment plan was:
- Ice it down
- Take a bunch of NSAIDs
- Don't do anything strenuous or stupid
- Call me back in a couple weeks
The prognosis was that it should shrink and go away on its own, but that could take anywhere from a month to a year. Lotta unknowns there.

So, I'd guess that the Pats - and any other team that may have been interested - probably preferred to wait until there was a clearly positive progress report. Once that was issued, the Pats probably had to make a move before another team did.

With Andrews' ACL/meniscus, the surgery and rehab are pretty standardized now. As of his pro-day in mid-March, He was scheduled to resume light running "in a week" (nearly 5 months post-injury) and was on track to resume full practice by August (Camp). The only unknown would be how long it would take him to recover the last 10% or so of his previous form. All this being well-understood and common knowledge among the teams that may have been interested, the Pats likely had to make their move now, before some other team snagged him.

Lacy released. I was moderately curious to see how he would do in camp. Ah well.

In the nfl combine video’s he was struggling to catch the ball. So, I guess he had very little chance to make the practice squad.

Last edited:
In the nfl combine video’s he was struggling to catch the ball. So, I guess he had very little chance to make the practice squad.
It will be good if they fill the roster spot with a waterboy linebacker or office linebacker or ....anyone that claim to be a fast linebacker

So much for the "second season" of free agency. The Emperor actually believes that his work here is done.

Several decent defensive players - DL, LB, Safety - still available. Tre Boston and Kenny Vaccaro made a couple visits each, earlier this week, but no takers so far. Prices keep dropping for these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News