PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tyquan Thornton already turning heads in the film room

Well a high score is a positive signal - you'll see most of the high scores (over 40) clustered among the QBs. But a low score even among QBs doesn't mean much at all - Deshaun Watson is a good example, as well as some old-timers like Terry Bradshaw. Incidentally Ben Watson scored a 48.
Yea I guess it's better to have a good score than not. I think Wentz is the best QB to have a 40 or > unless I'm missing someone. Most of the best are around 25-35 give or take a point.
I know of a tech company that likes to hire highly-rated StarCraft players - that shows the ability to juggle many balls at once and make good tactical and strategic decisions quickly under pressure with imperfect information.

Speaking of video games, I'm puzzled why some smart team doesn't use multiplayer VR to train players (particularly the QB) in the playbook. The QB, OL and WRs could be playing the same play call against different defenses.
Teams have been using VR for years now. I believe it was geared towards individuals but that could have changed. I'm not as up to date on that as I should be.

High praise from Kendrick Bourne concerning TT. I've never heard similar praises heaped on Harry. Well except the part about him giving a good interview, that part scares me. LOL.

Furthermore, many here raved about his blocking which is the primary responsibility for many NFL TEs. Dan Graham was no Ben Coates
The reason they 'raved' about Harry's blocking, was he brought nothing else to the table. If you have to say something positive about someone, you generally talk about what they can do. Nobody 'raved' about Harry's route running or 'blazing speed'. I think that's pretty obvious.

Harry 'stuck' for three years because he was a 1st round pick. BB had to give N'Keal Harry every chance possible to prove himself on the slim hope that he could prove BB was right in making that draft decision, didn't happen. Harry never got it cos he has a 10 cent brain for offense between those ears of his and no ability to separate from NFL caliber defenders.

And it's also pretty obvious that you've gotta let it go. Harry was a HUGE BUST. He's gone, shipped out. Even BB gave up on him. There's no longer a need to defend him!

3-cone times:
Julian Edelman 6.62
Mac Jones 7.04
Jakobi Meyers 7.07
Wes Welker 7.09
Tom Brady 7.20
Tyquan Thornton 7.25
DK Metcalf 7.38

Tyquan is quick off the line and changes direction well while going forward. Welker and Edelman are quick going sideways (we do not want Tyquan to do this). Edelman, Welker, and Myers can not threaten the deep part of the field adequately to command a double team or a deep safety. Not sure you can tell much from those 3-cone times other than Edelman is amazingly quick which we already knew. Do you think Tom Brady can change directions while running full speed like Tyquan does in Lazar's video? Of course not, so I am not sure the 3-cone is a great measurement for Tyquan or DK Metcalf's role in the offense.

The 3 cone time is concerning obviously. The question is will this affect his route running, can he make sharp cuts without losing speed or will he round off his routes and allow the CB to catch up to him and knock away those tight window passes? Hard to say how that will pan out. I know that this stuff can be trained upon and improved but all we have to go on are the standardized athletic testing drills.

Some people are just naturally quick. And some people work at it.

Although most people would say Edelman was only above average athletically as a WR, almost no DB could stay with Edelman on his short routes because he had such great technique and short area quickness to separate. He could juke a cornerback twice on the same route and leave them lurching in the wrong direction and make the 1st down catch look easy.

Just check the footage. Julian Edelman - Route Master.

Man watching his tape just feels good. That's how a professional WR gets his work done!

The 3 cone time is concerning obviously. The question is will this affect his route running, can he make sharp cuts without losing speed or will he round off his routes and allow the CB to catch up to him and knock away those tight window passes? Hard to say how that will pan out. I know that this stuff can be trained upon and improved but all we have to go on are the standardized athletic testing drills.

Although most people would say Edelman was only above average athletically as a WR, almost no DB could stay with Edelman on his short routes because he had such great technique and short area quickness to separate. He could juke a cornerback twice on the same route and leave them lurching in the wrong direction and make the 1st down catch look easy.

Man watching his tape just feels good. That's how a professional WR gets his work done!

Thornton’s not going to be running Edelman routes. His route tree will be mostly fade/post/corner with an occasional slant or comeback route to keep defenses honest. He’ll be used to challenge the defense vertically.

If you want short area quickness, check out Wilkerson’s agility drills. For his size he is extraordinarily slippery.

Thornton’s not going to be running Edelman routes. His route tree will be mostly fade/post/corner with an occasional slant or comeback route to keep defenses honest. He’ll be used to challenge the defense vertically.

If you want short area quickness, check out Wilkerson’s agility drills. For his size he is extraordinarily slippery.
He will run a lot of in routes.

That reminds me of this quote about Edelman by Aqib Talib…

"He cuts off his inside foot -- he'll go this way, and it's supposed to be a left-foot stick and go this way, but he goes (with) a right-foot stick. His feet are so weird. He changes directions, and then, to put the icing on the cake, he got Tom Brady," Talib said. "And they're like joined at the hip or something, joined at the head. He knows when to throw him the ball. He knows when to wait a little bit longer and let him get to the second window. It's just weird. He runs his routes -- he's not the fastest guy, he's not the quickest guy, but he's super strong. You have to tackle him once he catches it. Just knowing which way he's going to break is super weird."

That reminds me of this quote about Edelman by Aqib Talib…

"He cuts off his inside foot -- he'll go this way, and it's supposed to be a left-foot stick and go this way, but he goes (with) a right-foot stick. His feet are so weird. He changes directions, and then, to put the icing on the cake, he got Tom Brady," Talib said. "And they're like joined at the hip or something, joined at the head. He knows when to throw him the ball. He knows when to wait a little bit longer and let him get to the second window. It's just weird. He runs his routes -- he's not the fastest guy, he's not the quickest guy, but he's super strong. You have to tackle him once he catches it. Just knowing which way he's going to break is super weird."

Where Talib was mistaken was saying Edelman wasn’t one of the “quickest” guys… he’s not as fast as the fastest WR’s like Tyreek or Brandin Cooks, but Jules agility was world class. His 3.92 shuttle and 6.62 cone were elite.

Last edited:
I want slants that he can use his speed to take to the house
Agree plus you need to break off the routes to make the dbs not just play off waiting for the go, post or corner

Agree plus you need to break off the routes to make the dbs not just play off waiting for the go, post or corner
One of the things on film was that he was great at beating press coverage. He's skinny, but strong. He was swatting away DBs like flies

I'm hoping that Bill has gone to a more Route based offense, it seems that alot of WRS just don't understand the Option Based offense that Troy/Gronk/Queen/Weller and Jules got, I mean they obviously got it, but many others have failed to get it.
At least that's what it looks like from a guy that just watches the games.

I'm hoping that Bill has gone to a more Route based offense, it seems that alot of WRS just don't understand the Option Based offense that Troy/Gronk/Queen/Weller and Jules got, I mean they obviously got it, but many others have failed to get it.
I can’t think of any receiver who was capable but failed because he couldn’t understand you have different options based upon how you are defended.
Receivers who just weren’t very good seem to be the only ones this argument is made about.
In general asking your players to think on the field in order to be more productive is a good thing.

What they had was only working to the tune of one Super Bowl appearance every two years, and not every single year, so it's best that they ditched the QB and the system that was doing that....

Joey Galloway, Tory Holt, Reggie Wayne, who were OBVIOUSLY Past their prime(And STUDS ELSEWHERE), either didn't get it, or figured it was too much work at that stage of their careers.

I NEVER SAID it wasn't a good thing Andy, I'm just hoping for more hits is all.
Everyone has a habit of talking about the studs we DIDN'T DRAFT, how do THEY KNOW that the guys could grasp the EP Offense?
They don't, could AJ/Deebo/Mclaurin etc take off in this offense? IDK, Does anyone else?

What they had was only working to the tune of one Super Bowl appearance every two years, and not every single year, so it's best that they ditched the QB and the system that was doing that....
Brady left as a free agent, he ditched us.

The system won’t change, but simplifying it is a good idea. They did the same thing with the defense years ago and the result was more sacks and pressures.

I can’t think of any receiver who was capable but failed because he couldn’t understand you have different options based upon how you are defended.
Receivers who just weren’t very good seem to be the only ones this argument is made about.
In general asking your players to think on the field in order to be more productive is a good thing.
You CAN'T? SERIOUSLY?
NOT VERY GOOD?
GET REAL, it's OBVIOUSLY DIFFICULT, stop being an Idiot about this, AJ/DK/SCARY/Deebo etc, aren't guaranteed to be studs HERE, YOU DON'T KNOW!
I'm SO FKN TIRED of people pissing and moaning when EVERYTHING isn't included, everyone thinks they know better, yet their NAMES aren't there...
EZ to say, most are ****ies that have ZERO BALLS, and absolutely ZERO to lose.
Bah .

You CAN'T? SERIOUSLY?
NOT VERY GOOD?
GET REAL, it's OBVIOUSLY DIFFICULT, stop being an Idiot about this, AJ/DK/SCARY/Deebo etc, aren't guaranteed to be studs HERE, YOU DON'T KNOW!
I'm SO FKN TIRED of people pissing and moaning when EVERYTHING isn't included, everyone thinks they know better, yet their NAMES aren't there...
Bah .
Dood chill

You CAN'T? SERIOUSLY?
NOT VERY GOOD?
Bah .
What in the world are you talking about? Early in the day to be drunk dude.
By all means name all the players who failed here because they couldn’t figure out which route to choose based upon how they are being covered.
Or is this just a “you know” that receivers who never played here would have struggled even thought you can’t name any that did? Do you even understand how the patriots passing game works?

Dood chill
Why? He CONTINUES to try and make the rest of us his *****, because he thinks he is smarter than us, and he IS Smart, but NOONE KNOWS EVERYTHING, and I tire of it, it's been going on for ~15 years...
Chill? Seriously bruh, WTF have YOU been the last 15 years?

Bah

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back