PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tyquan Thornton already turning heads in the film room

It's too early to say he's a bust since he plays in this garbage offense coached by two buffoons
Agree, there's been a lot of great receivers that have had bad rookie seasons, some take time to develop and with this offensive clusterf&(k of a season it's even hard to judge. Give him another year before we declare him a bust.

While the last few years have produced a fair number of exceptions, even the best wide receivers usually struggle in their rookie NFL seasons. This kid is not a N'Keal Harry sort of guaranteed bust.
I hope you’re right. Maybe with real coaching he’ll be better.

I hope you’re right. Maybe with real coaching he’ll be better.

I'm not saying he'll pan out. I'm just saying that, unlike with N'Keal Harry, it's not already obvious that he'll bust. And Lord knows this team needs more draft hits.

I'm not saying he'll pan out. I'm just saying that, unlike with N'Keal Harry, it's not already obvious that he'll bust. And Lord knows this team needs more draft hits.
Refresh my memory why was it that N'Keal was so immediately obvious?

He had nothing.

No speed.

No fight.

No hands.

No brains.
TY definitely has speed and I think I see some fight in him I guess the other two are still up for concern.

I asked because I recalled the story his rookie year was that Brady had kind of shut him out he was so bad it's hard to remember much about him lol.

I think I may have figured out why he's slow off the snap sometimes (and I'm talking about no press coverage). I've noticed this not great habit of his of picking up his back foot after the snap, leading to a delayed start. One play Agholor and Jakobi were already moving horizontally at .48s after the snap, and TT didn't start doing the same until .62s. He and Agholor were doing Go routes, and by 7-10yds, TT would be almost 2 yds behind. I've seen this happen comparing him with Bourne (who's stellar off the snap) and previous games, too .

.25s would be average visual reaction time, so he needs to clean that up if he wants to get good (yeah yeah catch the ball he's a bust blah blah check out the top WRs and all their dropped passes even just this year).

Glad he's playing a lot of snaps. He'll be important in the next few years and needs all the experience he can get, especially missing a chunk of the beginning of the season. I just hope he stays healthy.

I asked because I recalled the story his rookie year was that Brady had kind of shut him out he was so bad it's hard to remember much about him lol.
No that was a FALSE narrative because people were in DENIAL about how bad N'Keal Harry actually was. If that story had any legs that would also mean that Tom Brady, Cam Newton and then Mac Jones were all in a CONSPIRACY to keep N'Keal Harry down by not throwing to him in all his years in New England.

The fact was N'Keal Harry was just too slow, couldn't create separation, didn't understand the offense, didn't get open, wasn't in the right place at the right time, made dumb plays because he didn't understand the offense, and so on and so forth. He was not a 1st round caliber receiver and was a colossal draft mistake because BB 'liked the interview' causing him to overrule the Patriots scout evaluations.

No that was a FALSE narrative because people were in DENIAL about how bad N'Keal Harry actually was. If that story had any legs that would also mean that Tom Brady, Cam Newton and then Mac Jones were all in a CONSPIRACY to keep N'Keal Harry down by not throwing to him in all his years in New England.

The fact was N'Keal Harry was just too slow, couldn't create separation, didn't understand the offense, didn't get open, wasn't in the right place at the right time, made dumb plays because he didn't understand the offense, and so on and so forth. He was not a 1st round caliber receiver and was a colossal draft mistake because BB 'liked the interview' causing him to overrule the Patriots scout evaluations.

Still talking about N'Keal. Yawn! Time to move on.

While the last few years have produced a fair number of exceptions, even the best wide receivers usually struggle in their rookie NFL seasons. This kid is not a N'Keal Harry sort of guaranteed bust.

And why's that?

And why's that?

His timed speed translates to the field far better than did that of Harry.

He has shown the ability to, at least occasionally, get separation.

He has a lot of physical development that he can still make, whereas Harry was pretty much maxed out the day he was drafted.

He had nothing.

No speed.

No fight.

No hands.

No brains.
Other than that he was the perfect 1st round pick for the Pats.

Another theory is that "Temperamental Tommy" ruined him by being mean to him.

I think I may have figured out why he's slow off the snap sometimes (and I'm talking about no press coverage). I've noticed this not great habit of his of picking up his back foot after the snap, leading to a delayed start. One play Agholor and Jakobi were already moving horizontally at .48s after the snap, and TT didn't start doing the same until .62s. He and Agholor were doing Go routes, and by 7-10yds, TT would be almost 2 yds behind. I've seen this happen comparing him with Bourne (who's stellar off the snap) and previous games, too .

.25s would be average visual reaction time, so he needs to clean that up if he wants to get good (yeah yeah catch the ball he's a bust blah blah check out the top WRs and all their dropped passes even just this year).

Glad he's playing a lot of snaps. He'll be important in the next few years and needs all the experience he can get, especially missing a chunk of the beginning of the season. I just hope he stays healthy.
Great observation. I wonder if there are also things that he does that tips off the defense.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back