PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two more third round comp picks in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not counting these chickens before they hatch, but I don’t see us signing any players to offset these two. We’re blind to lose some more lower ranked free agents to balance out any we sign.

How do we know this without knowing who the Pats will sign as a potential offset in the comp formula?

Pretty safe bet the Pats aren't grabbing anyone worth a 3rd rounder in comp.

People act like losing Flowers is perfectly fine. It's not. It makes this a weaker team.
No, it makes that specific postion perhaps weaker and we dont know what Bennett will bring. As far as the team being weaker, how can you definitively state that? You have no idea.

We have seen this type of thing over and over and the team always seems to be fine. I will never understand how not paying a huge contract to a player makes the team worse. The whole team was not Trey Flowers.

Maybe BB knows he can use that money to get a player in another postion who will bring much more than his value. He has a little bit of a track record at it so pardon me if I dont take some posters word on the "team" being "weaker" because one player left.

No, it makes that specific postion perhaps weaker and we dont know what Bennett will bring. As far as the team being weaker, how can you definitively state that? You have no idea.

We have seen this type of thing over and over and the team always seems to be fine. I will never understand how not paying a huge contract to a player makes the team worse. The whole team was not Trey Flowers.

Maybe BB knows he can use that money to get a player in another position who will bring much more than his value. He has a little bit of a track record at it so pardon me if I dont take some posters word on the "team" being "weaker" because one player left.

The team does not always seem to be fine.

I like the method they use. It works--the results speak for themselves.

I'm talking about the idea that the team is always fine when it loses key players. That is not the case.

A few years ago, this team brought in a lot of good talent in the draft. Hopefully they will do it again. In the past, there have been years when they have not.

As I said, ahem, the methodology works. But it doesn't necessarily pay immediate dividends.

Paying Darelle Revis also works, and it pays immediate dividends.

People act like losing Flowers is perfectly fine. It's not. It makes this a weaker team.

Wow, I didn't know the final roster cutdown before the opening of the season just closed.

It's a few HOURS into free agency and the Pats have 6 picks of the first 101 in the April draft.

Have some of us learned NOTHING over the past two decades?

Last edited:
Well--we went from 2004 to 2014 without winning Super Bowls using this methodology.

2005-2013, 9 seasons (8 with Brady): the Pats were in 5 AFC championship games and 2 SB appearances. Yeah, they sucked.

Nothing that happened today feels good. But that's not what Bill is about.
Here's what Bill is all about -- at least today:

10845648-0-image-a-49_1552323873033.jpg

It's interesting that anyone we sign now would cost us a 3rd unless things change.

I'm hoping some of the other guys like Malcom Brown or Shelton or Dorsett or Hogan would sign with other teams at a level that factors into the Comp formula. That would give us some flexibility in signing some guys back. It's easier to negate an expected 6th round pick with a signing than a 3rd.

I'd rather have Trey Flowers than a 3rd round pick to be honest.
I kinda like the 17 mill of cap space that comes with the 3rd rounder.

As I said, ahem, the methodology works. But it doesn't necessarily pay immediate dividends.

Paying Darelle Revis also works, and it pays immediate dividends.

In one area, but stronger in others.

Well--we went from 2004 to 2014 without winning Super Bowls using this methodology. Then we drafted guys like Trey Flowers, and we won 3 Super Bowls... so, yes, the method works, but not all the time. Sometimes you need Trey Flowers.
You aren’t really questioning the plan of a team that has won 6 of the last 18 SBs and gone to 9 of them because of the ones we didn’t win, are you?

BTW Flowers was a in college in 2014.

2005-2013, 9 seasons (8 with Brady): the Pats were in 5 AFC championship games and 2 SB appearances. Yeah, they sucked.

Yes, that was my point. They sucked. The Patriots were dreadful. I said that.

You aren’t really questioning the plan of a team that has won 6 of the last 18 SBs and gone to 9 of them because of the ones we didn’t win, are you?

BTW Flowers was a in college in 2014.

Did you read my post?

Yes, that was my point. They sucked. The Patriots were dreadful. I said that.
So your point was that they were just not good enough for you. Or they could have been better if they did not let big ticket free agents walk.

Nick Korte predicted that the third round cutoff will be about $11 million per year. If the Pats can keep any qualifying signing below that, at the fourth round pick level, then they should have enough free agent losses to cancel down before canceling upward and putting a third rounder at risk. Or they could also only sign guys that don’t qualify for the comp pick formula. That’s an option too.

It's interesting that anyone we sign now would cost us a 3rd unless things change.

I'm hoping some of the other guys like Malcom Brown or Shelton or Dorsett or Hogan would sign with other teams at a level that factors into the Comp formula. That would give us some flexibility in signing some guys back. It's easier to negate an expected 6th round pick with a signing than a 3rd.

That's only about $2M a year. And anyone released/waived/cut is fair game.

If he doesnt sign Ghost I would figure he likes a kicker in the draft. No idea who but he must.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe