PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two more third round comp picks in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
So your point was that they were just not good enough for you. Or they could have been better if they did not let big ticket free agents walk.

Uh, no.

But you guys will twist everything anyway.

I replied to someone who said we won 3 Super Bowls doing it this way. I wrote that it's not not a guaranteed method since we also didn't win one from 2004-2014. I never said they sucked, never said they weren't good enough, and in fact I went out of my way to say that Belichick's method is the right one for this team, etc.

If you want to look back, and do second-guessing, then you could easily say, for instance, that they would have won the 2006 Super Bowl if they had kept Deion Branch, but... that is not what I am saying at all. I am saying that one of the biggest factors in this SB win was the play of the DL, and specifically Try Flowers. He destroyed Rivers, Mahomes and Goff. And that's mainly why they won 13-3. You don't get back that production easily.

I think he was probably worth 14-15m, what Gilmore gets. Not 17m. But I'd still like to see whether his contract was backloaded.

I did that’s why I asked the question.

Well, in that post I said I was a fan of Belichick's decisions to let very expensive FAs go, and that it was the right decision.

Well, in that post I said I was a fan of Belichick's decisions to let very expensive FAs go, and that it was the right decision.
I was referring to this post.

Well--we went from 2004 to 2014 without winning Super Bowls using this methodology. Then we drafted guys like Trey Flowers, and we won 3 Super Bowls... so, yes, the method works, but not all the time. Sometimes you need Trey Flowers.

For a horrible GM, BB sure does seem to pick up a lot of comp picks for Patriots players that other teams want.:confused:

The trade for Brown was sheer genius. They gave up a 3rd for him and a 5th.
Sooo, they won a SB with him, got a 5th(Bentley) and will get the 3rd back next year.

In one area, but stronger in others.

How does losing Flowers help us in other areas? It's not like we were paying Flowers 17m and added that amount to our cap space.

How does losing Flowers help us in other areas? It's not like we were paying Flowers 17m and added that amount to our cap space.
As compared to keeping him.
Arguing we should have kept him required exploring the alternatives.

Uh, no.

I replied to someone who said we won 3 Super Bowls doing it this way. I wrote that it's not not a guaranteed method since we also didn't win one from 2004-2014. I never said they sucked, never said they weren't good enough, and in fact I went out of my way to say that Belichick's method is the right one for this team, etc.

If you want to look back, and do second-guessing, then you could easily say, for instance, that they would have won the 2006 Super Bowl if they had kept Deion Branch, but... that is not what I am saying at all. I am saying that one of the biggest factors in this SB win was the play of the DL, and specifically Try Flowers. He destroyed Rivers, Mahomes and Goff. And that's mainly why they won 13-3. You don't get back that production easily.

I think he was probably worth 14-15m, what Gilmore gets. Not 17m. But I'd still like to see whether his contract was backloaded.
Flowers was great here, but to call him the primary reason for the defensive play in the Sb is just wrong. IMO

Uh, no.

Nobody is twisting anything. You are making statements and are being called on them.

If anyone is twisting things you are by moving the goalposts every time someone points out something to you

Nobody is twisting anything. You are making statements and are being called on them.

If anyone is twisting things you are by moving the goalposts every time someone points out something to you

BS. You're full of it. Nowhere did I say the Patriots suck.

Last edited:
I was referring to this post.

Yes, I wrote in that post that the method works, but not all the time. In other words, I agree with it. If I said it didn't work, I wouldn't agree with it.

Flowers was great here, but to call him the primary reason for the defensive play in the Sb is just wrong. IMO

Primary reason for the DL's play. I mean, come on. Look at who else was there. Simon, Clayborn, Brown. About the only 2 guys who added real value were Guy and Wise. Flowers was such a huge problem for the other team that he created space for the others (who are mostly just JAGs) when he wasn't making plays himself.

Yes, I wrote in that post that the method works, but not all the time. In other words, I agree with it. If I said it didn't work, I wouldn't agree with it.
What method works "all the time?"

And considering the Pats results (wins, playoff games, AFCCGs and superbowls, and SB wins) are far and away better than any other team I guess its probably the "best" method.

I took it, based upon how you wrote it that the system couldn’t win sbs until it drafted trey flowers. I’m understanding now that isn’t what you meant.

Primary reason for the DL's play. I mean, come on. Look at who else was there. Simon, Clayborn, Brown. About the only 2 guys who added real value were Guy and Wise. Flowers was such a huge problem for the other team that he created space for the others (who are mostly just JAGs) when he wasn't making plays himself.
He was surely the best DL on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes