PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two Major Issues Have Been Solved

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In addition to the usual key ST re-signings (King and Ebner), NT and RB are no longer issues.

NT
We added Shelton, in addition to having Valentine back.

RB
We have Bulkhead back (in addition to Gillislie, White, Develin and Bolden. We'll likely add a low level RB and a draftee or two, or perhaps a free agent to compete with Gillislie.

Jeremy Hill is still out there. And Burkhesd catches balls too.

Shelton projects nicely, although we have to hope the Pats bring that 1st round talent out of him. Cleveland couldn't. Burkhead is a solid RB. Him, White and a draft pick should do.

They have a long ways to go for other major needs.

In addition to the usual key ST re-signings (King and Ebner), NT and RB are no longer issues.

NT
We added Shelton, in addition to having Valentine back.

RB
We have Bulkhead back (in addition to Gillislie, White, Develin and Bolden. We'll likely add a low level RB and a draftee or two, or perhaps a free agent to compete with Gillislie.

Neither issue's been solved

Solved?

There is no reason to dislike a reasonable opinion.

I cannot overstate how insecure someone must be to have to make a post specifically calling someone out about hitting the thumbs down icon on their post.

A reasonable opinion can be disliked because it was delivered in a smug manner.

I would say one major issue, NT, has been resolved and it was a dire need. We'd be hard pressed to find a bigger disappointment vs expectation than Branch was this past season. The way things go with RB's on this team I really didn't see a major issue at the position. This offense adjusts itself to the backs it brings in, whether it be a battering ram like Blount or a speed back like Lewis. Lewis was exciting to watch because you always had the feeling something big was about to happen but I'd be lying if I didn't admit I was constantly expecting him to be injured.

There is no reason to dislike a reasonable opinion.

There's no need to just dislike a post pointing out a simple reality, rather than explaining your issue.
There's no need to make a thread claiming 2 issues have been solved, when neither issue has been solved.

And, yet, here were were, with both of those things happening.

I don't think running back's a huge issue, though Burkhead is not as talented a player as Lewis. There are options in free agency and the draft to address that hole but I do think what they end up with this year will be a downgrade from last unless they use their 1st or rearly 2nd on it, and I don't think that's a good idea.

Shelton's a wait-and-see guy. He was good enough with the Browns but no superstar or anything. He's just adding another body, albeit with a skillset that had been lacking since Branch disappeared, to a defensive line rotation that's already crowded with no standouts.

I have high hopes for Shelton, but he could just as easily be the next Sopoaga.

As for RB? Not even close to solved. The guy we signed today is not a full time player even when healthy, and he isn't healthy full time either.

I did grow to love Lewis' running style. In a tight cap year, however, RB is a position that can quickly become "what can we afford" over "what do we want."

Without cap issues, we would want a good run game that hurts defenses in its own right, or always has the potential to. I think Lewis gave us that, and had the potential to give us more if we were another kind of team.

With cap issues, I agree that what's in the stable, plus an unknown (face it, that's true of draft picks even at RB), is fine. Set the downside at "can move the chains most of the time in short yardage," and hope for "can gash a defense if it overcommits to pass." Somewhere in the middle is "can make them pay a little bit if they overcommit, can run out the clock on a gassed D," which might have to be enough.

It's a nice problem to have, that the RBs are always a committee because the offense goes through Brady; they're supporting cast, and that's what we budget them for.

But hey, surprise me! I can live with a 2000-yard rusher too! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye