PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trey Flowers to be released by the Lions

Kick the tires. SIGN THE BEAST!

If the money is right and he’s healthy why wouldn’t we want him… what’s changed since he was here?

He’s a defensive end who is strong enough to play contain and possesses enough quickness and explosion to pressure the QB. Good player, the only ones who “overrated“ him was the team who overpaid him.

Something to consider when assessing the JC Jackson situation. At some point it’s just overpaying, and that’s not a sustainable business practice for a team that wants to compete every season.

Last edited:
No. on some rare occasions we would play 3 300lbs with one playing DE, but our base defense was 2 300+ guys, 2 DE/OLBs 2 lbs and 5 dbs.
DT snaps
Guy 530
Barmore 598
God 623
Davis 276
Total 2037
Defensive snaps 1079
Average DTs per snap 1.89

Flowers was here 3 years (after his IR rookie season)
We went to 3 SBs, won 2 and ranked 1,5,7 in points allowed.
Yep. He's an upgrade over Wise who is decent on his own right. He'll be 29 in Aug. Still has a couple top-end years left. No brainer

Yep. He's an upgrade over Wise who is decent on his own right. He'll be 29 in Aug. Still has a couple top-end years left. No brainer
I’m not a big fan of wise. I think he should have a very limited role.
Flowers opposite Judon then sliding inside on passing downs improves the D a lot.

He was very good here.
He was a good player for the Patriots. We'll be 4 years removed from that by the time next season starts. He hasn't been able to stay healthy two seasons in a row now which obviously is a bad trend. If he comes in cheap then I suppose it's fine but it's nothing to get excited about.

Judon and Flowers as DEs in a 4 man front would be a good pairing.
This may be why Van Noy was released.
Is that a major step?... Going from Van Noy to Flowers? Similar height/weight, Flowers is two years younger, but Van Noy has been healthier. It probably would amount to a lateral move as far as production. Also, it seems like everyone was ripping Judon for his disappearing act over the last month of the season. Like a lot of Patriots he was awful during the 1-4 finish... he had his second lowest snap count (39%) of the season in the wild card game so he wasn't right in the end. I think you need a better player than Flowers if you want to draw some attention away from Judon.

He was a good player for the Patriots. We'll be 4 years removed from that by the time next season starts. He hasn't been able to stay healthy two seasons in a row now which obviously is a bad trend. If he comes in cheap then I suppose it's fine but it's nothing to get excited about.

Is that a major step?... Going from Van Noy to Flowers? Similar height/weight, Flowers is two years younger, but Van Noy has been healthier. It probably would amount to a lateral move as far as production. Also, it seems like everyone was ripping Judon for his disappearing act over the last month of the season. Like a lot of Patriots he was awful during the 1-4 finish... he had his second lowest snap count (39%) of the season in the wild card game so he wasn't right in the end. I think you need a better player than Flowers if you want to draw some attention away from Judon.

If that was their only move, it wouldn't be enough. But I do think the issue wasn't someone to draw attention away from Judon. It's unlikely they'll get anyone this offseason that will get priority over Judon from an OC's perspective. The key would be having someone that can win their matchup while the extra attention is going to Judon's side. Flowers (if healthy) can do that, while still being disciplined against the run and in QB containment.

No brainer if he wants to return. Guy is the prototypical DE that Belichick wants (sets the EDGE well) . I mean he's not gonna pay $90m for it but a 1-2 yr deal at minimal money with some incentives he would.

If that was their only move, it wouldn't be enough. But I do think the issue wasn't someone to draw attention away from Judon. It's unlikely they'll get anyone this offseason that will get priority over Judon from an OC's perspective. The key would be having someone that can win their matchup while the extra attention is going to Judon's side. Flowers (if healthy) can do that, while still being disciplined against the run and in QB containment.
How about instead the Patriots make an aggressive move for one of these edge rushers... Von Miller, Chandler Jones, Jadeveon Clowney, or Emmanuel Ogbah. I'd rather see either one of these players paired with Judon.

How about instead the Patriots make an aggressive move for one of these edge rushers... Von Miller, Chandler Jones, Jadeveon Clowney, or Emmanuel Ogbah. I'd rather see either one of these players paired with Judon.
Tre in the middle to replace Guy is the only spot I Would want him.
Jones, Clowney, Ogbah. Would be awesome.

We didn’t play 3 DTs.
3 man line (Guy, Godsmack, Wise)
4 LB combo of Judon/Van Noy (outside), HT/Bentley (inside) and Dugger as the SS/LB hybrid.

Money matters.

Any of these players above including Flowers has to sign a team friendly deal that includes incentives for winning.

They have to want to come here to play for rings, there has to be some motivation beyond money.

Because they still need corners and off the ball linebackers, need to re-sign or replace at least one starting OL, might need a 3rd down RB if White doesn't return, and could use an upgrade at WR. Last year was the big target FA. This year they're going to need to be a bit more frugal. I would rather have Flowers and 1 or 2 other mid level free agents at positions of need for likely the same price as we would have to pay for one of the players you mentioned.

Oh sorry. I forgot it’s about height and weight, I was too focussed on football
skill.
Flowers and VanNoy are completely different players.

3 man line (Guy, Godsmack, Wise)
4 LB combo of Judon/Van Noy (outside), HT/Bentley (inside) and Dugger as the SS/LB hybrid.
4 man line, 2 lb, 5 dbs

Judon plays on the line as a DE.

And Phillips was the safety who played in the box most, not Dugger.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back