PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trey Flowers goes to the Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I will be the first to admit I was wrong on what the value would be for Trey Flowers before the off season.

However, I did say recently that since all the other top DE’s were tagged that Flowers would be the best DE by default.

While he obviously made a very good choice taking the amount of money the Lions offered him, I think it’s a terrible landing spot for him. I don’t think he will crack 10 sacks in Patricia’s scheme and that’s a lot of money to tie up into one player who will probably hover around 6 to 7 sacks every year.

You really need to take a football 101 course. Clueless post.

I would settle for either Houston or Ansah just about now. That said it would be wise to keep Adrian Clayborne.

"Settle" for Justin Houston or Ziggy Ansah...egads. That's like Brady settling for Giselle after Bridget Moynahan...

I'd LOVE to have a Suh's talent on this team, but Suh is the perfect example of the kind of player who shouldn't come to NE. He wouldn't do well in this culture.

I have the same cautious reservations about Michael Bennett and BB traded for him...what do we know??:confused:

So much for testing waters and coming back. Not surprised here and BB saw this coming signing Bennett. Amendola is going there too.

Houston is going to get $14m+. Ansah will likely get into double figures. Both way out of our price range.

Well, I will be the first to admit I was wrong on what the value would be for Trey Flowers before the off season.

However, I did say recently that since all the other top DE’s were tagged that Flowers would be the best DE by default.

While he obviously made a very good choice taking the amount of money the Lions offered him, I think it’s a terrible landing spot for him. I don’t think he will crack 10 sacks in Patricia’s scheme and that’s a lot of money to tie up into one player who will probably hover around 6 to 7 sacks every year.
That's right. The Pats got very unlucky when the 4 or 5 best DE prospects got either signed or franchised.

If Flowers had been the 4th or 5th choice for these other teams, THEN the Pats might have had a better shot at him. In that scenario teams with a lot of cap space would have used it on those other guys and a few other teams in the top half of the draft would make the decision to get their pass rush in this this pass rush rich draft. Then there would have been a POSSIBILITY that Flower's market could have dropped to the $13-14MM/yr area that the Pats would have been OK with.

But it didn't happen. HE was the best option out there and they usually garner the top market price....and he got it.

Will there be any good pass rushers in this years draft to be found in the 2nd and 3rd round?
There could be one or two in the first.

Very happy for Flowers.
It would have been great to keep him, but anyone who has been schooled in "The Patriot Way" over the past 18+ years never expected that he'd remain on the Roster.
Thanks for everything, Trey. Invest that money wisely!

I have the same cautious reservations about Michael Bennett and BB traded for him...what do we know??:confused:
I don't know. I don't think anyone in his long career every question Bennett's motor, effort, and his dedication to being a student of the game. Those are ALL questions that have been raised in Suh's career.

People are making too much about Bennett's rather "colorful" personality and "different" off field pursuits. As long as he works as hard at his game as he has in the past, he will be fine here....just like his brother was.

I'm sure BB was knew what was up having the same agent. Could be why he jumped on Bennett before Philly wound up cutting him.
Yep. He and Cornrich had a beer on Bill's boat and he told him Trey is getting north of $17m aav.

Bill chugged one down and grabbed another Heineken.

I hate to lose him but we simply can't afford to pay him that much unless both Gronk and Devin walk and I don't see that happening.

Also a light over pay. IMO he is a 13-14M a year player and I would have been happy for the Pats to pay top dollar to keep him.

Michael Bennett is the plan B. Very similar player to Flowers. Can line anywhere. He will play less snaps and is not the same player Flowers is, but for 40-45% of the price you get 80% of the player and a comp pick. That is a GREAT deal IMO. They will have Bennett + Wise + Clayborn and a rookie probably that is good unit
I believe this is exactly how they look at it. I am sure they are way more detailed, but I feel this philosophy is accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back