PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trent Brown Playing LT and Onwenu at RT with Wynn Still Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
As predicted, Wynn is still out of practice with injuries. Trent Brown is playing LT, Onwenu at RT, and Karras at LG.

At this point just keep Trent Brown at LT and Onwenu at RT. Brown was good enough to win a Superbowl with the Pats at LT and Onwenu was a top10 RT last year. We can't keep reshuffling the OLine when Wynn is out, and Wynn has missed 70% of his NFL games since he was drafted.

When Wynn comes back just plug him in at LG where he played guard most of his college career...

Who's this Khari Thompson kid? Never heard of him.

He's pretty wet behind the ears.

why? because LG's matter less that RT's. Do you think that Wynn is a better LG than Onwenu? If so, the coach would likely make the change you suggest, even with no injuries.

I suppose that the switch would add stability to the OL, having 4 positions set, with Wynn or Karras playing LG.

LG might be a position Wynn could play without getting hurt

Fact is Wynn has missed 70% of his NFL games. He's unreliable and the OLine has had to constantly shuffle when he is out which is most of the time. Sorry to break this fact to you.
And 33% of those came in one season with a torn Achilles.

He was leading the team in offensive snaps (640) when he got rolled up in Week 11. The injury wasn't serious, but the Pats decided to be careful with him and put him on IR. By the time he could have come back, their run was essentially over, so they didn't bring him back.

I guess BB's tired of him, too, though, which is why he didn't pick up the 5th year...oh wait.

One thing I will note in line with this injury issue is how smart/lucky KC was in rebuilding their line. Not only did they infuse tremendous talent, they got "iron men" in Thuney and Orlando Brown (and yes, the Ravens remain idiots for trading him to the AFC team they need to get above to make a SB run).

PSA for everyone coming to this thread: There are zero reports that Wynn is injured, he's just not present at OTA's. The OP jumped to a conclusion, just because Wynn was injured before.

Anybody else done with Wynn at this point?

certainly not done with him, but extremely frustrated with his injuries

Injuries are by far the most frustrating part of being an NFL fan.. He's great when healthy, problem is he can't stay healthy!

PSA for everyone coming to this thread: There are zero reports that Wynn is injured, he's just not present at OTA's. The OP jumped to a conclusion, just because Wynn was injured before.
He has a habit of that. I think he needs a new hobby bc he never picked up on football.
Need Want GIF

Also, why in the world do people want Wynn at G? Any reasonable explanations (of there's not but let's pretend this is a football forum)?

Genuinely asking bc it makes no sense to me.

The Patriots guaranteeing Wynn's 5th year option is significantly more indicative of his future than anything happening at OTAs. He's the presumed starting left tackle for both 2021 and 2022.

Wynn should be kicked inside to LG. Onwenu-Mason-Andrews-Wynn-Brown. Or flip Onwenu and Brown if they think the kid can make the move. Aside from Andrews, that’s a LOT of beef up front.

why? because LG's matter less that RT's. Do you think that Wynn is a better LG than Onwenu? If so, the coach would likely make the change you suggest, even with no injuries.

I suppose that the switch would add stability to the OL, having 4 positions set, with Wynn or Karras playing LG.

If healthy, Absolutely.

Belichick doesn't always follow his own directives. *shrug* He's talented enough to keep around, but I'd just have him as a swing tackle at this point. There is some value to having a capable backup, of course. I, personally, would not have done the 5th year option. But that's just me.
Bring him out for big running plays but conserve his body otherwise. It's better to cherry pick and save Wynn for big leverage plays, than to waste him and have him out when you really need him

Who's this Khari Thompson kid? Never heard of him.

He's pretty wet behind the ears.

Another out-of-towner with no interest whatsoever in wanting the Pats to succeed, thus his employment at the glob.

Also, why in the world do people want Wynn at G? Any reasonable explanations (of there's not but let's pretend this is a football forum)?

Genuinely asking bc it makes no sense to me.

Because he has experience there from college, and has more of a LG's build than a Tackle's anyway.

I still say Wynn is the Week 1 LG.
I would have thought he would played guard by now if he was ever going to. Also the fact Bill picked up his 5th year option only to pay a guard over $10 mill makes me think he will stay at tackle but you never know. Regardless I wouldn't mind them investing in a veteran swing tackle for when Wynn inevitably gets hurt.

Fact is Wynn has missed 70% of his NFL games. He's unreliable and the OLine has had to constantly shuffle when he is out which is most of the time. Sorry to break this fact to you.
And yet the Patriots chose to pick up his fifth-year option, which means his salary for next season is fully guaranteed now.

I would have thought he would played guard by now if he was ever going to. Also the fact Bill picked up his 5th year option only to pay a guard over $10 mill makes me think he will stay at tackle but you never know. Regardless I wouldn't mind them investing in a veteran swing tackle for when Wynn inevitably gets hurt.
He paid Thuney franchise tag money, so who knows?

That said: "co-OL coach Carmen Bricillo says that Michael Onwenu's "natural" fit would be at guard."

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back