PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trent Brown Playing LT and Onwenu at RT with Wynn Still Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its is very rare for a .offensive lineman to come into the league and shine in their first year, So you comments on Herron are particularly bad.

You're missing the point. I didn't comment about his potential, at all. It was a catastrophe to have a rookie bad LT in Herron, have to come in to play because Wynn was out, and this coming year it makes no sense to have the same bad plan of poor backups available when Wynn likely goes down again. It makes no sense especially when we can start Brown at LT and Onwenu at RT and mitigate this. If you don't do this, then when Wynn goes down again it's jerking Onwenu back and forth between positions, or putting the same crappy Herron backup in to play. It's very poor planning. Makes more sense to have Wynn and Karras alternate at LG for when Wynn invariably cycles in and out of the lineup.

As predicted, Wynn is still out of practice with injuries. Trent Brown is playing LT, Onwenu at RT, and Karras at LG.

At this point just keep Trent Brown at LT and Onwenu at RT. Brown was good enough to win a Superbowl with the Pats at LT and Onwenu was a top10 RT last year. We can't keep reshuffling the OLine when Wynn is out, and Wynn has missed 70% of his NFL games since he was drafted.

When Wynn comes back just plug him in at LG where he played guard most of his college career...

No way!!! Wynn is out?!?! Now that’s strange!!!!! :rofl:

You're missing the point. I didn't comment about his potential, at all. It was a catastrophe to have a rookie bad LT in Herron, have to come in to play because Wynn was out, and this coming year it makes no sense to have the same bad plan of poor backups available when Wynn likely goes down again. It makes no sense especially when we can start Brown at LT and Onwenu at RT and mitigate this. If you don't do this, then when Wynn goes down again it's jerking Onwenu back and forth between positions, or putting the same crappy Herron backup in to play. It's very poor planning. Makes more sense to have Wynn and Karras alternate at LG for when Wynn invariably cycles in and out of the lineup.

You (and others) think that the best lineup is Brown, Wynn, Andrews, Mason, Onwenu.

The staff seems to believe that this probably weakens the OL at a couple of positions.
1) Wynn is a better LT than Brown.
2) Brown is a better RT than Onwenu.

As an aside
3) It is NOT clear that the team believes that Onwenu's future is at RT. All indications are that they prefer him at OG.

The bottom line is that you believe that Wynn is injury prone and worth nowhere near what we are paying him. So, you want to make the best of it, and have him be a part-time LG. I suspect that, even better, you would prefer not risking injury, and have him as the backup at 3 positions.

The last sentence here is key. When Wynn goes down again, it will be catastrophic for the Oline if they try to start one of these bad backups at tackle. Or, alternatively keep playing switcheroo on Onwenu and mess the kid's career up.

Your alternative has the switcheroo if either Brown or Onwenu is out. Until there is an injury during the season, you choose to weaken our OlL.

Let's be REALLY clear. Wynn-Brown is much stronger than Brown-Onwenu at OT. Yes, if Wynn were to be injured, we would have to live with the much weaker pairing. It is GREAT to have our LG be our backup RT.

You (and others) think that the best lineup is Brown, Wynn, Andrews, Mason, Onwenu.

The staff seems to believe that this probably weakens the OL at a couple of positions.
1) Wynn is a better LT than Brown.
2) Brown is a better RT than Onwenu.

As an aside
3) It is NOT clear that the team believes that Onwenu's future is at RT. All indications are that they prefer him at OG.

The bottom line is that you believe that Wynn is injury prone and worth nowhere near what we are paying him. So, you want to make the best of it, and have him be a part-time LG. I suspect that, even better, you would prefer not risking injury, and have him as the backup at 3 positions.

It's not a weaker lineup compared to
Herron-Onwenu-Andrews-Mason-Brown.

And better than short notice asking Onwenu to switch again and Brown to switch again to LT and RT. Absolutely have to factor in durability and reliability. The OLine guys aren't in an individual vacuum, the chemistry and disruption week to week can impact performance. It's tough to be used to how the guy next to you is supposed to play and then keep getting yanked around which is likely if Onweny doesn't stay at RT.

It's not a weaker lineup compared to
Herron-Onwenu-Andrews-Mason-Brown.

And better than short notice asking Onwenu to switch again and Brown to switch again to LT and RT. Absolutely have to factor in durability and reliability. The .
I have a real estate agent in FL that you might want to speak to. He has swamp land for sale.

So, you believe that if Wynn is injured during Game 2, Belichick would start Game 3 with Onwenu at LG. Really? Would it hurt his carreer so much to play RT? If so, then SURELY, there is no point in him playing RT in the OTA, and camp. We need to develop Cajuste, Herron, Cunningham and/or Sherman. If none look good, we should sign or trade for a veteran swing OT.

Personally, I think that Belichick is pretty transparent. He thinks Wynn is worth $10M, and he thinks that he is likely to have a swing OT among his backups.

At worst, if Brown isn't extended, Belichick would need to acquire an OT next year.

I would be really interested in some pass blocking run blocking numbers from 6th round pick Herron coming in as a rookie in a shortened Offseason. Unfortunately I do not have access to much. Could somebody help out ? Just curious bc I thought Herron did a solid job esp better than other BU like Cunningham or JE

certainly not done with him, but extremely frustrated with his injuries

Injuries are by far the most frustrating part of being an NFL fan.. He's great when healthy, problem is he can't stay healthy!

What Wynn hurt? impossible!

Shawn Crable thinks Wynn is hurt too much.

No way!!! Wynn is out?!?! Now that’s strange!!!!! :rofl:

He's not ****ing injured though, is he! OP made it it up, he's just not at OTAs, like 15 other guys as well.

While I am a fan of Wynn and would love for him to excel, there are worse OLs than Brown-Karras-Andrews-Mason-Onwenu. I hope they play up to expectations, as a squad, because I suspect much of the O’s success will rest on them this year, regardless of who is at QB.
Karras is too easily exposed by penetrating DTs and stunts. He's a capable backup, but would be a liability as a starter.

whole OLine setup around the most injury prone guy (Wynn)
Arent Andrews and Mason just as "injury prone"? The propensity for posters to bury players for the entire upcoming season before camp even begins is something I'll never understand.

when Wynn likely goes down again.
And what empirical data points to that as fait accompli? It's more "why cant the Patriots have all-pro never miss a game players at every position and as backups" woe is us thinking.

Absolutely have to factor in durability and reliability.
So again...what about Mason and Andrews too then? They're similarly injury prone the past few years. Just as unreliable. Better get 10 different guys in here to play OL with this "Wynn is going to miss the season" take.

He's not ****ing injured though, is he! OP made it it up, he's just not at OTAs, like 15 other guys as well.

I didn't say he was injured, my comment stands 100% as stated, regardless of his current injury status

calm down

, you believe that if Wynn is injured during Game 2, Belichick would start Game 3 with Onwenu at LG. Really? Would it hurt his carreer so much to play RT?

No. Read above. I said alternatively we keep messing with Onwenu and jerking multiple players around when Wynn is hurt. LG moving to RT again and then the RT moving to LT. This will likely happen frequently with Wynn missing 70% of his career games. Not thrilled with instability at both tackle spots. Would rather have stability at the tackle spots and worry less that the LG spot is shuffled between Wynn and Karras.

certainly not done with him, but extremely frustrated with his injuries

Injuries are by far the most frustrating part of being an NFL fan.. He's great when healthy, problem is he can't stay healthy!

Absolutely. And for an OLine of 5 guys, knowing what the guy next to you will do is important as defenses disguise blitzes. Can't keep moving guys in and out like machine parts and expect any chemistry.

A lot of the defense for Wynn here sounds like the same homeristic blind defense of NKeal Harry. Wynn is more talented but missing the field is a major factor in his overall body of work.

I agree that Belichick and the staff are very happy with their starting 5 at their present positions. We also have a starter as an interior backup.

It is good there is lots of camp this year. We need to find our backups at OT. Not having a swing OT is a serious problem, which belichick chose not to address earlier than the 6th, so one must believe that he thinks that someone will step up: Cajuste, Herron, Cunningham or Sherman

Agree. And an objective look at the OT position around the League would show that the Pats OT situation is among the best, and that group of potential backups has a better than average chance of producing a good swing OT. As Belichick has said, most teams struggle to get two starting caliber OT's, and having three is a rare luxury, even if one of them has an injury history that may (or may not) indicate his availability over the next few years.

Absolutely. And for an OLine of 5 guys, knowing what the guy next to you will do is important as defenses disguise blitzes. Can't keep moving guys in and out like machine parts and expect any chemistry.

And yet, that's precisely the plan that the Pats use when selecting their OL - they value flexibility very highly so they can move players into slots when stuff happens. You are arguing against the Pats entire OL philosophy, and calling it "poor planning."

Karras is too easily exposed by penetrating DTs and stunts. He's a capable backup, but would be a liability as a starter.
As fifth best on a line with the four other projected staters (if Wynn was missing) I still think he’s more than adequate. I like / prefer Wynn in the starting five. Obv. Was just saying this wouldn’t be a disastrous starting OL (w Karras).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3