PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Transactions Before The Game With TENN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was listing possibilities.

If Michel is healthy, we obviously don't need to activate Farrow. As an aside, perhaps Farrow is showing enough in practice to be activated, or not. If so, and Michel is healthy, it COULD be the time to activate Farrow.

You have Grissom listed twice.
Davis just played as many snaps as Dietrich wise and almost twice as many as Clayborn.

Why would we bring farrow up nowcthat Michel is likely to play when we didn’t while he was a out?

Hollister is our nothing right now and that has been the case for pretty much his whole career outside of one game we lost.

He's averaged 15 ST snaps/game-active since wk-5 of last season. That's 3 of the 4 units, including both coverage units. ST coverage struggled during the first half of the season while Hollister has been out. He's not "nothing".

Then why sign McClellin who is a special teamer.
because Grigsby could be out another 2-3 weeks? It is well worth signing a backup Ster.

Then why sign McClellin who is a special teamer.

Because both Grissom (ankle) and Hollister (hammy) - both also high-value special teamers - have been out for extended periods with injuries that appear to have become chronic, and ST units have struggled during the first half of the season. One or both of them may be headed to IR. Grigsby simply had an "illness" this past week.

He's averaged 15 ST snaps/game-active since wk-5 of last season. That's 3 of the 4 units, including both coverage units. ST coverage struggled during the first half of the season while Hollister has been out. He's not "nothing".

Fair point, but in the context of TE play (the post I was replying to said he plays an essential TE role for us) he is nothing.

Here it is.

I'm really surprised Croston has been on the active roster the past two years. Has he even played?

I think there is still hope he can play the tight end who shall not be named roll in this offense.

However I have yet to see anything that suggests that.

The coaching staff must see something.

As BB has publicly stated at least twice, AFAIK, the learning curve for college TEs in the Pats offense is very steep - a combination of the OL learning curve and the WR learning curve. So, it take awhile to develop a guy.

They have a year of developmental time already invested in Hollister, and he did show notable improvement in both blocking and receiving during the pre-season (and was good receiving against JAX). He's also been a high-value special-teamer (regularly appearing on three of four units since wk-5 of last season).

While I don't worry much about sunk costs, cutting Hollister may mean that the next college TE prospect might not be as far along as Hollister is now in his development until sometime in 2020. Meanwhile, Hollister has shown some not insignificant current ROI when healthy. I could see sending him to IR so that they'll retain the investment into 2019, but not cutting him.

Here it is.

I'm really surprised Croston has been on the active roster the past two years. Has he even played?

Croston has been an interesting case. Looked solid pretty much every time he played in preseason games but never gets a chance to play for real but is also (until today?) considered too valuable to cut.

The fact that Ferentz is still on the 53 while Croston isn't makes me want to cry.

Well, not yet.

I didn't buy the hype around him at all last year, but finally decided to trust him sometime during TC 2018. Then he immediately burns me. Just a sore subject...

More moves.

Here it is.

Croston played 8 snaps last season, and 4 snaps in the first half of this season. Still a surprise, since that seems to leave the Pats with only three OT on the roster. If/when Schwenke gets healthy, Ferentz might get sent back to the PS and Croston re-signed, or even Tobin (who's still a free agent after being released by the Niners on Sept. 19th, AFAIK).

Wonder which of Grissom/Croston makes it to the PS given the one spot. Grissom may be past the point of eligibility, not sure.

There is no open spot on the PS since Kamalu was signed yesterday. However, the Pats could cut Eric Smith (also OT/OG) if Croston clears waivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes