PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade 34 for

Aiyuk is vastly overrated by some.

Yes, he's a good player but people are acting like he's a top 10 WR in the league, which he patently is not. You can't give up pick 34 for what is either going to be a one year rental or is going to come with a huge contract. Not with so many holes to fill on the roster and it being such a WR heavy draft.
Can you please explain how a second team all pro is patently not top 10? I’m curious.

This is just not correct. Aiyuk was second team all pro last year and has far, far surpassed Samuel both statistically and in skill set. Niners fans almost universally want to trade Samuel and keep aiyuk. Aiyuk was top 7 in receiving yards in the league last year. His production last year is almost equivalent to Samuel over the past TWO years combined.

In the two years before the trade, AJ brown averaged 950 yards. In the past two years, Aiyuk has averaged 1150 yards.

I believe you are significantly underrating Aiyuks value around the league.

We disagree, I think Samuel is a better player, and I don’t believe Aiyuk is a #1 receiver. I also don’t think this is the time to trade a high 2nd for him, and would much rather see them use it on a tackle. Then again you may care more about how they do this season than I do. I want them to build for the long term, they aren’t a contender now and using that pick for a high priced receiver is a bad idea imo.

One year of Ayiuk is worth more to the Niners than the 34th pick. They are a legit contender whose window is now, and unlike KC they don't have a QB who can overcome a significant talent loss.

Higgins is in a similar situation. Neither will be traded.

One year of Ayiuk is worth more to the Niners than the 34th pick. They are a legit contender whose window is now, and unlike KC they don't have a QB who can overcome a significant talent loss.

Higgins is in a similar situation. Neither will be traded.
Aiyuk being a distraction might just be enough for the Niners to move him.
The Pats certainly have the cap.
If you take Maye and get Aiyik in the second or third and Can add Tez Walker later.
I’m a believer in connecting a QB with his WR if possible.

34 is a preposterous price for a player who is scheduled to make $14.1M this season and hits UFA after it when he'll be looking for franchise $.
That's the kind of deal you only make if it's for a player you believe is the difference between going to the playoffs and really having a true shot at a ring
And, if an OT (especially one that can man the LT spot even if it takes his rookie season to be ready) is there at #34, we need to take that guy.

Aiyuk being a distraction might just be enough for the Niners to move him.
The Pats certainly have the cap.
If you take Maye and get Aiyik in the second or third and Can add Tez Walker later.
I’m a believer in connecting a QB with his WR if possible.
I absolutely agree with your basic premise, but Maye should sit his rookie season and we really need to build a solid OL between this off season and the next (in addition to addressing offensive skill position players) so that Maye can have the tools to be successful when he starts in year 2.

I block other forum members about as well as Max Lane blocked Reggie White.
Post of the Day

Football Reaction GIF by New England Patriots

I absolutely agree with your basic premise, but Maye should sit his rookie season and we really need to build a solid OL between this off season and the next (in addition to addressing offensive skill position players) so that Maye can have the tools to be successful when he starts in year 2.
Maybe they feel good about the pieces and coaching scheme they have for the current O line?

It’s tough to say if a wr getting open a second faster than the average WR is as or more valuable than an extra second or 2 the QB is protected.
Both help the QB get rid of the ball quicker and in turn protect them.

I would love to know what Wolf is thinking about which QB to build around and how they want to build,

We know they tried swinging for Calvin Ridley so the question is which WR in the draft so closest to that skill set?

I’d have to say Mitchell, or Ladd Mcconkey.

I like Aiyuk a lot as a player, but I just don't think this type of deal makes sense for this team. You're giving up #34 and allocating a big part of the cap to him on his extension. I'd rather avoid paying "double cost" for players at this stage. That's something I do only when the team is good enough that the player you're paying the double cost for is pushing you over the top to something to meaningful (or hopefully doing that).

Maybe they feel good about the pieces and coaching scheme they have for the current O line?

It’s tough to say if a wr getting open a second faster than the average WR is as or more valuable than an extra second or 2 the QB is protected.

I would love to know what Wolf is thinking about which QB to build around and how they want to build,

We know they tried swinging for Calvin Ridley so the question is which WR in the draft so closest to that skill set?

I wouldn't read into their interest in Ridley as a particular skill set indicator. I think he was just the only high(ish) end WR talent available and they have gobs of cap space so they just tried for it. On paper, Ridley is more of a Z receiver and our big need is an X. I think they just went for Ridley because that's the guy they had an opportunity to go get.

I wouldn't read into their interest in Ridley as a particular skill set indicator. I think he was just the only high(ish) end WR talent available and they have gobs of cap space so they just tried for it. On paper, Ridley is more of a Z receiver and our big need is an X. I think they just went for Ridley because that's the guy they had an opportunity to go get.
That almost sounds like an irresponsible way to spend cap then.

Mitchell has nice size and speed. I also wouldn't sleep on Xavier Leggette (who could be a seriously faster A.J. Brown). McConkey may be redundant with Douglas and Osborn. Mitchell and Leggette have the raw abilities to not only be Outside X WR's, but also Multi-Role WR's. They could be lined up anywhere (and Leggette is a good Returner and can be used out of the backfield like Deebo). And they both have the size and speed to play outside and threaten defenses deep. McConkey, who could end up being excellent, doesn't quite yet have the upside and versatility that Mitchell and Leggette have.

How I'd use 34

I'd trade down to 11 to get me some bounty

11 23 and 20251st

then use 34 to trade back up and get Nabers at #5 from #11.. keep offering #6 then#7 then #8 etc until Nabers... Odemze or Alt are gone.

Leaving me with hopefully Nabers #23 & 2025 1st..

I then take at #23 the best QB out of Nix & Penix or best player on our board.

Tempting, he’s better than any WR you’re likely to get at that pick, but this team isn’t that one offensive player away. Unless something miraculous happens this team won’t be a contender until he’s on the wrong side of 30

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back