PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TONY ROMO effect on the SB....

Status
Not open for further replies.

NENGFAN

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Lot of discussion on sports talk about Romo and his predictions of Patriots offensive plays. Does that help Mcveigh in preparation for the SB...he can goto the tape and see what Romo said regarding Brady’s tendencies of what play will be coming up. Is Romo spilling the beans of what he sees in Patriots practices? I am sure Rams will use Romo’s analysis to their advantage. I am pretty sure BB will talk with Romo and Nantz before the SB and discuss this. I do feel it helps the Rams a little.

This is a ridiculous non story, though I could see someone as dumb as the bengals using broadcast commentary as their primary source of scouting material. It would fit right in with their approach to draft research

Kidding of course. Mostly.

All of these teams have way better knowledge of the other teams formations and tendencies than what a broadcast shows them. It’s just that there is such a huge gap between what a team knows and what we as fans can glean while watching that a great commentator like Romo can be a very informative voice in the middle fir us fabs

McVay should be able to see tendencies just by looking at the film of the season. I don't even understand why that's a discussion on sports talk. If McVay has to rely on Romo's color commentary to break down our tendencies on offense and defense, this will be a blowout.

First and goal from the one, gee Romo is a genius that the Pats are going to run it after throwing a ridiculous INT at the goal line. The man is a genius!!!

The Chiefs had to defend the sneak, so the Pats audibled to an off tackle, its not rocket science, its here we are, we are going to run this ball down your throats.

Now if Romo came out and predicted the failed flea flicker, then I would be impressed.

The Pats game plan is, that whatever they have on tape is not what you are gong to be seeing. I think the key to the game, is not to make any defensive shifts until the play clock gets under 15 seconds so McVay can't tell Goff what's going on.

I am surprised there is this discussion.
No team in an SB would do what is suggested.

Go Pats

My two cents is that while Romo does have a good sense, many of the predictions are smoke and mirrors sprinkled with hype.

As examples, there were two Gronk plays where he lined up wide and Romo is credited for "calling the play".

On the first instance Romo is credited for predicting Gronk would be wide, but in fact, he said this while cameras were focused on something else. By the time they showed Gronk he was already set wide and would not have time to have moved and get in this position. In other words Romo saw Gronk wide and made an observation. Then Romo said if Gronk is doubled (he was, but late safety help) Brady was going to find Edelman over the middle. Brady threw long to Gronk and Nantz began crediting Tony for being having called this.

In the second instance Romo was plain wrong. He pointed out Gronk was wide and said if the safety moved up, Brady would go long. The safety moved up and Brady caught Gronk over the middle.

In these situations (3rd and long) Brady is going to either Gronk, Edelman, or White. Since White was non existent and Edelman had caught the last two, it was pretty safe to focus on Gronk. Even then Romo was mostly wrong.

Last edited:
The Patriots self scout to analyze what other teams would see as their tendencies. I'd like to think they'd be at least as effective as Tony Romo.

I hope they are relying on color commentators to make s game plan on defense. If so then Pats by 30.

I wonder if there is a tape delay in the broadcast feed that allows Romo to see the play before it actually gets broadcast...

There were several plays where Romo seemed like a wizard and that was kind of fun. Trust the internet to blow it up to be much more than it was and now we have threads like this posing this as a serious question.

I am pretty sure BB will talk with Romo and Nantz before the SB and discuss this.

I'm crying I'm laughing so hard.

Every day we learn just how much space mediots occupy inside fans' heads.

is the implication that Romo see's stuff in practice during the week of a broadcast and uses that to make commentary more accurate? I can see that....he's ran an offense, I'm sure he "envies" the patriots offense & Brady so when they get behind the scenes at practice, he's making notes of certain plays that he can call out during broadcast e.g. a motion to the right on 3rd/4th and short means a run to the right. If he notes a handful of the situational plays, he will be able to call them out during broadcast. But it's also just as likely to get them wrong because Brady kill's the playcall based on what he says. So while we're all focused on the handful of plays he's called out, im sure plenty he had no ideas. And the team changes these

Now, if the implication is he is telling the other team what he's observing in practice, that I'm sure has been handled

I wonder if there is a tape delay in the broadcast feed that allows Romo to see the play before it actually gets broadcast...

Do you also wonder if Brady has a magical ability to look 1-2 seconds into the future when he is at the LOS ?

Romo just studied some NE tape & tendencies and the rest is reading coverages from the press box. He isn't doing anything that any NFL level QB could not do as well. I mean it doesn't require some kind of magical skill to distinguish cover 2 from cover 1 and then their respective weaknesses given what the Pats have on the field. Especially not for someone who has done that while pass rushers were coming his way and from a much worse angle for years.

Romo doesn't stick out because he is some wizard but because 90% of the other crews are just absolute garbage at the same thing and instead talk about irrelevant stuff.

is the implication that Romo see's stuff in practice during the week of a broadcast

You folks are aware that he is not sitting there for practices. He comes by with the rest of the media when they all have access at the beginning (or sometimes end of practice sessions) plus the production meeting where sometimes coaches/players are a bit more open about answering questions.

But it is not like he is sitting and watching the Rams or Patriots go through their practice sessions.

If thats the case romo would be a dc somewhere by now

He is already making more money than most DC and reports are CBS is about to lock him up to a new deal soon. There is no reason for him to jump into the 100+ hour weeks of being a coach when he has a much more comfortable job as the face of football at CBS.

You'd have to be extremely passionate about the sport to give all of that up for the grind that is coaching.

You folks are aware that he is not sitting there for practices. He comes by with the rest of the media when they all have access at the beginning (or sometimes end of practice sessions) plus the production meeting where sometimes coaches/players are a bit more open about answering questions.

But it is not like he is sitting and watching the Rams or Patriots go through their practice sessions.
im pretty sure the main game broadcast teams get more access than the regular media. i wasnt clear in that i didnt mean they sit their for the whole practice

You're giving Romo too much credit because if you countered all of the dumb sh!t he says with some of the smart things he says and it could be tabulated based on a +/- ratio like hockey then he would be in double digit negatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes