PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom House officially helping to fix Macs arm.

Triumph

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Bradys and Brees QB coach.

In this photo he shows Mac how to hold the ball for a picture.
274866328_10166226654380637_1649264125313570113_n.jpg

Hard at it.

FTW,

Ken Rivera
I was personally at one of his workouts with Tom and his staff. I got to see Mac Jones's workout but got to chat with him for awhile. He's a great kid and for sure the future of the Patriots. He was there with Sam Ehlinger of the Colts and Mets minor league pitcher Justin Courtney. Trust me PATS fans, after 2 hours working with Tom, Mac was throwing for 60+ yards on the dime!

274937319_5227925100572132_8585527109562752069_n.jpg

Patriots Fans Worldwide

Jesse Dunn · tS8p454i021u7i95mchg6 ·

One of my biggest offseason wishes was for Mac to work with one of the better QB coaches to strengthen his arm and mechanics, and it looks like I'm getting my wish. Mac is beginning to work with Tom Brady's QB guru Tom House (left). Tom House has been praised many, many times by Brady and Drew Brees for improving their form and getting the absolute best out of their arms. House was recently interviewed on NBC Sports Boston and was asked specifically about working with Mac. He said he guarantees that he can get at least another 10 mph on his football, which translates to at least another 10 yards on his deep ball.

Wow
Let’s go Mac!
Let’s add 20 MPH to that ball?

Bradys and Brees QB coach.

In this photo he shows Mac how to hold the ball for a picture.
274866328_10166226654380637_1649264125313570113_n.jpg
I didn't know Mac's arm was broken.

Wow
Let’s go Mac!
Let’s add 20 MPH to that ball?

He doesn't need an extra 20. Even an extra 5 would make a huge difference. House says that adding 5 mph is roughly adding 5 yards on your deep ball. Even 2 more yards on the throw to Agholor is a TD instead of a pick by Hyde (Nelson probably could have done more, but I'm just thinking in the context of what Mac can control).

There's nothing to fix, his arm isn't "broken". He's tweaking how he throws. It will help... not just on the deep throws but those darts to the EZ need a lot more juice on them.

Got me all excited like when we heard Stidham was working with some expert QB coach and he would be the next Tom Brady :excited:

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
There's nothing to fix, his arm isn't "broken". He's tweaking how he throws. It will help... not just on the deep throws but those darts to the EZ need a lot more juice on them.
This right here I don’t care about the distance as much as the velocity.
Football is a game of inches as Al Pacino famously quoted.
The difference from a completion to a PBU or Int. All
Comes down to timing and throwing power.
Not to mention would be nice to see our QB cut passes in the wind.

Good to hear Mac is committing to the grind and seeing the big picture.

20 games including playoffs is a lot more rigorous than college, lay off the cookies and get stronger.

I look at Jones and I still see he has a far higher ceiling than people think if he dedicates himself. Looking at his frame. he obviously has a few pounds to lose, but he also has a big frame with thin arms and legs. He could easily add 15-20lbs of muscle without affecting his range of motion or ability to move.

The reason people say he has a low ceiling is because they don't think he has a strong arm, but that can change if he dedicates himself. He isn't like Trevor Lawrence who is almost a complete product physically.

He doesn't need an extra 20. Even an extra 5 would make a huge difference. House says that adding 5 mph is roughly adding 5 yards on your deep ball. Even 2 more yards on the throw to Agholor is a TD instead of a pick by Hyde (Nelson probably could have done more, but I'm just thinking in the context of what Mac can control).
Mac was also late on that throw. Reading it quicker would have been the biggest help of all.

I want to see improvement on his dreadful sideline passes from the opposite hashmark. Those were bad.

Needs more zip on intermediate and deep throws.

I’d like to see his release worked on as well. He’s got an odd shot put release.

I'm amazed a guy with Mac's frame actually lasted an entire NFL season taking the hits that he did.

Hopefully he's already eating better and hitting the weights and trying to lose those pounds. That will go a long way toward a second year jump which we all hope to see.

I look at Jones and I still see he has a far higher ceiling than people think if he dedicates himself. Looking at his frame. he obviously has a few pounds to lose, but he also has a big frame with thin arms and legs. He could easily add 15-20lbs of muscle without affecting his range of motion or ability to move.

The reason people say he has a low ceiling is because they don't think he has a strong arm, but that can change if he dedicates himself. He isn't like Trevor Lawrence who is almost a complete product physically.

It's encouraging to me that, for as good as he looked (for a rookie), there is still seemingly a lot of areas where he can get better that are also areas that are COMMON for young QBs to improve in as the years go on. Not just physical areas either, like arm strength, but things like what Upstater mentions here:

Mac was also late on that throw. Reading it quicker would have been the biggest help of all.

Mac had a good year (again, for a rookie) at things like reading defense pre and post snap, commanding the offense, etc. But he has MILES of growth potentially in those areas as he sees more and more looks in the NFL. I can't remember what year it was that Brady said something like, "I feel, at this point, I've got all the answers to the test." But it was after several years into his career.

EDIT: Looks like Brady said that in 2017, so not just several years, but after SIXTEEN seasons in the NFL. Meaning there is always room to grow mentally in the game, if Mac wants to put in that work too.

I'm not knocking anyone and their opinion. I don' feel expert enough to suggest what mac needs but this thread is amazing with all of the QB coaches we seem to have on the site. I know I'll be getting all the knocks so have at it. one note, I won't respond to remarks as I'm not going to get into a pissing contest about who knows what and their expertise.

I'm not knocking anyone and their opinion. I don' feel expert enough to suggest what mac needs but this thread is amazing with all of the QB coaches we seem to have on the site. I know I'll be getting all the knocks so have at it. one note, I won't respond to remarks as I'm not going to get into a pissing contest about who knows what and their expertise.

Since you're assuming people disagree with you, but are unwilling to respond to those disagreements, I'm left wondering what the point of this post truly was, since it wasn't to spark/continue any kind of discussion? No antagonization meant, I'm just curious. If you feel like clarifying, I'm all ears.

Let me see if I understand your fascinating post....

'I know nothing / you know nothing / I can't be bothered......thought you all should know'

That 70S Show Reaction GIF by Laff

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back