PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran: Mallett to the Texans may soon be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
someone get on the phone with BB and make sure that if the texans agrees he has to say no backsies.

Everything is happening!!!!!

If this leads to the Pats using their #1 on a QB, I will be disappointed.
The team has several needs, and QB isn't one.
I would FAR rather go all in on Tom Brady - I think he could be really good - and do everything possible to support him now, than take a risky developmental QB.
The time to pick the next QB is when the Pats have a pick higher than #29.
When Brady retires, it will not hurt the franchise to go (gasp) 9-7 one season. Take a QB then.
I'd rather go 14-2, 14-2, 14-2, 9-7, 10-6, 14-2 then do anything that would detract from securing the #1 playoff spot this season.

Not so fast.

Already going back on his words. "Second source says nothing doing at the moment."

Somewhere BB is getting a kick out of this.

If they trade him for Clowney, though, I'm all in.
I think he could be really good too.

I'm usually in the "trust BB" camp, but we'd better not be giving him away.

This is from Tom E. a few minutes ago...........Something tells me it's a smokescreen.

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran 3m
Second source says nothing doing at the moment on Mallett to Houston. We'll watch how it plays out. Makes sense if Clowney is No. 1.

Peyton must feel better with his move to the AFCW and not having to see a Watt/Clowney combination on the other side. Whatever we get for Mallet is a bonus as (1) I hope he doesn't get any play time with the Pats and (2) he's a FA after this year. Based on (2), that definitely leaves a 2nd round pick out of the equation and it might be a 4th, hoping for a 3rd

He's trying to backtrack.

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran 23s
Second source says nothing doing at the moment on Mallett to Houston. We'll watch how it plays out. Makes sense if Clowney is No. 1.

Both sources could be right. If there is a trade, the parameters would have already been negotiated before the draft. The Texans may be waiting to see who falls to 33 before they decide to pull the trigger or not. That would be the most likely scenario. If Bortels falls to 33 (who they reportedly love), then they may pass on Mallett. If not, they may pull the trigger on the trade with a deal that was already pretty much agreed to.

Whilst I don't think this likely, there was talk that the Texans would take a 1,2,3 this year and a 1 next year to trade down. If the Pats offered that plus Mallett to get to no1 for clowney, would you do it?

What if they have two guys rated highly, Tuitt and ASJ for example. Perhaps a swap of 2nd round picks make sense. The Texans get Clowney and their QB without losing a pick.
That is what I am thinking, Mallett and #62 to Houston in exchange for #33, which equates to 296 points on the value chart so basically Mallett for pick #60 or #61.

And where off..

Whilst I don't think this likely, there was talk that the Texans would take a 1,2,3 this year and a 1 next year to trade down. If the Pats offered that plus Mallett to get to no1 for clowney, would you do it?

So 5 players for clowney? No thanks. The most i would give up is mallet, this year's first and next year's first. That won't get it done, but nothing more if I'm the patriots,

"Mallett and #62 to Houston in exchange for #33"

I think I'd be ok with this. Would love to see HOU throw in a 6th or a 5th next year or something...

??? So give the Texans *more* than what they asked for?

Anyway, no. The team has too many holes where depth is needed, and trading 3 picks this year (plus next year's first) for Clowney isn't worth it.

People on twitter are actually asking Curran if it is for the #1 overall pick… WOW!

So 5 players for clowney? No thanks. The most i would give up is mallet, this year's first and next year's first. That won't get it done, but nothing more if I'm the patriots,

So you are saying you'd turn down a potential future hall of fame pass rusher because a 2nd and 3rd rounder were the deal breakers. Not sure I agree on that.

Is Clowney really that good? Legit question. I have never seen him play.

No, I like Clowney but I probably would not extend beyond Mallett, #29 and next year’s first round pick. I think this team has holes that must be addressed, and if we move forward without another pick until #130, it will be tough.

??? So give the Texans *more* than what they asked for?

Anyway, no. The team has too many holes where depth is needed, and trading 3 picks this year (plus next year's first) for Clowney isn't worth it.

Because they're dropping to the bottom of the first round rather than staying in the top ten. That's not hard to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes