PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran: Mallett to the Texans may soon be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are saying you'd turn down a potential future hall of fame pass rusher because a 2nd and 3rd rounder were the deal breakers. Not sure I agree on that.

If you could guarantee me 100% that he is in fact a future hall of famer, then sure. But you can't do that, because no one can. You're giving up all that draft capital for a chance, and if it doesn't work you end up with a huge hole in your development.

So you are saying you'd turn down a potential future hall of fame pass rusher because a 2nd and 3rd rounder were the deal breakers. Not sure I agree on that.

It's risky. If you feel clowney will guarantee you a Super Bowl, then yes.

Curran is just trying to add follower.

Is Clowney really that good? Legit question. I have never seen him play.
Some of the talking heads have said that Clowney may be the most talented and athletic DL .... and that includes the NFL.

I have only seen him play on highlights but, he sure looks the part, and more, to these non GM eyes.

Greg Bedard chimes in with some speculation. Glennon would be a good backup QB.

Greg A. Bedard@GregABedard
Now that would be a Patriots guy RT @JasonLaCanfora: And if the Bucs take a QB, i'd anticipate a Mike Glennon deal soon enough

People on twitter are actually asking Curran if it is for the #1 overall pick… WOW!
You'd be amazed at how much the people in this forum have been overestimating the trade value of Mallet for the past few months.

Whilst I don't think this likely, there was talk that the Texans would take a 1,2,3 this year and a 1 next year to trade down. If the Pats offered that plus Mallett to get to no1 for clowney, would you do it?

If the Texans were willing to take the Patriots picks (#29 in rounds) to move up to #1, I can't really see any reason not to make that trade.

It sounds like it's for Houston's 3rd round pick

Is Clowney really that good? Legit question. I have never seen him play.
He had a better 2012 season than 2013. In 2013, some legit questions about his work ethic and conditioning popped up. The Clowney apologists claim he was just trying to "save himself from injury so he could earn some money" but that is an indictment of the guy as well.

IMHO, he is overrated based primarily on that one stellar play against Michigan that ESPN kept playing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

I consider him a legit 1st rounder, but I certainly don't blame Houston for wanting to trade out of the #1 spot and get more than just Clowney.

Because they're dropping to the bottom of the first round rather than staying in the top ten. That's not hard to understand.
Trade Mallett, #29, #62, #93 and a 2015 first round pick for #1, then trade #1 to Atlanta for #6, #37, #68 and a 2015 second round pick… :)

Would have to think that would be for the Texans 3rd round pick (65 overall). Mallett was taken 74th overall in 2011. I can't see them giving him up for anything less than their 3rd round pick. It would be highway robbery if they gave the Pats #33 unless there are more parts involved in the deal.
What if it's a swap of 2nd round picks. That would be aweome.

Curran is just trying to add follower.
cmon he was the one who "broke" the news that the Pats tried to trade for Larry Fitz. That was 100% true (sarcasm)

Because they're dropping to the bottom of the first round rather than staying in the top ten. That's not hard to understand.

Wasn't aware the asking price was contingent on them still picking in the top 10. If that is the case, then it makes sense.

Still a no from me though, unless we could guarantee that Clowney would never get hurt and his play is consistently at the LT coked-up level.

Essentially the Patriots would have gotten 3 years’ worth of a backup QB and pick #65 for the 2011 #74 pick, which makes Mallett a great draft choice in my opinion.

If you could guarantee me 100% that he is in fact a future hall of famer, then sure. But you can't do that, because no one can. You're giving up all that draft capital for a chance, and if it doesn't work you end up with a huge hole in your development.

It's risky. If you feel clowney will guarantee you a Super Bowl, then yes.

Trades are always risky but the concept of risk/reward seems to apply. Clowney has very rare traits. Will this years 29, 62 or 93 or next years 32 have those traits? If they are in win it all mode, then an elite pass rusher helps towards that.

And bear in mind, I don't think it will happen, I'm just talking hypothetically. I think it's more likely there's a QB they like in this draft (or Glennon) and thay will be expending a pick there and this trade compensates for that.

That would set up the potential

Tuitt
Martin
TE

trio in the first 3 rounds, which works for me.

I wonder if it might be a future pick. 2015 second rounder instead of 2014 3rd??

Wasn't aware the asking price was contingent on them still picking in the top 10. If that is the case, then it makes sense.

Still a no from me though, unless we could guarantee that Clowney would never get hurt and his play is consistently at the LT coked-up level.

The injury aspect is the one thing that scares me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots