PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady says he's done "for good"

I'm dismissing you and Steve's and Tune's statements that we are saying that coaching doesn't matter! I've never said that. In fact, I've said coaching matters. This isn't complicated.
Again, You’re just being difficult and trying to shift the goalposts and divert it away from the point. You know what you said, and you’re probably sitting there laughing knowing exactly what you’re doing. ;)

Ian answer the question please. Fill in the blanks so we can have an honest debate.

Lol, who is saying it doesn't matter? You're deflecting again.

Let me put it this way:

What percentage of winning an NFL football game do you attribute to:

1. The coaches: _____%
2. The players: ______%

Just fill in the blanks so we can at least try to stay in the proper lanes.

Players making plays determines execution.

No, execution is what makes for good plays and I asked you what determines execution. I'll spell it out for you: successful execution evolves directly from practice orchestrated by coaches. Without coaches putting players in position to succeed, they can't execute. That it in a nutshell.

Oh sure, Ken. Tannehill was going to throw a high arcing rainbow 75-80 yards into the endzone and McCourty shouldn’t have been on the field over any of the 11 defenders including Gronkowski :rolleyes:
you mean should HAVE been on the field. That's what happens when your mind works faster than your fingers. I do it all the time.

What's so shocking? Bill vs Tom is the biggest story that this team has ever seen. And Tom won it going away.
I am just surprised we went 25+ pages before the discussion began in this thread.

Burt Breer just said pretty bluntly that the door was open to go to the 49ers on the TEAM end of things but Brady determined he couldn't do it because, reading between the lines based off what Breer then said, Giselle basically won't let him take the kids out to California for extended periods of time so he'll basically never get to see them. That's why when the Dolphins said they're going with Tua the situation really did come down to either Tampa or retirement because he had to stay local to see his kids. Which...that legitimately makes me angry. Like very angry. What a...not good woman I'll just say that.

And if you don't believe Albert Breer then that's your problem, he is a legit source that's actually reinforcing gossip that I've alluded to.

Man, you are a sad, angry little man. But you are really good at twisting the TRUTH to fit your narrative
I'll be a little more blunt than you. You lie.

So you would like us to believe that Brady was "begging" for an extension in 2018 at the same time he was selling his Brookline home?
This here, a lie right out of the gate.

Brady's Brookline home didn't go on sale until August 2019. Asking price: $39.5 million. After Brady signed his contract for the 2019 season with the no franchise tag clause. Nice try.

That Brady was "begging" to stay and play several more years in an area his wife was DESPERATE to leave?
Brady and Gisele lived in Massachusetts for 10 years. Gisele called her Brookline home her "sanctuary." Where's the desperation to leave? They eventually left because Brady's playing career was over in New England. They didn't leave because Gisele hated her life in Massachusetts.

And none of the "poor tom brady sycophants has YET to give a solid reason, WHY Tom would want to stay after 2019. You know the year he kind of checked out at the end of the year.
The arguments have been stated over and over and over. Brady wanted a contract extension with the Patriots prior to the 2019 season. He was trying to negotiate that with the team. There was an obvious impasse, and when asked by a reporter if he had earned it, Brady replied, "talk to Mr. Kraft, come on."

Brady wanted to remain a Patriot. BELICHICK had different ideas. Belichick didn't want to go beyond season by season. Not getting the commitment he felt he had earned from the team, Brady agreed to the reworked $23 mil/$8 mil signing bonus for the 2019 season with the no franchise tag clause.

This part is my speculation. I believe Belichick had an inclination to prove he could win with another quarterback. He had had it in his mind for a long time that the winning was more about his overall team building and the system. He thought he could move on from (an aging) Brady, replace him with another top 15 quarterback, and continue the winning. He basically squeezed Brady out. Eventually Brady complied, the two parted ways, and Brady proceeded to kick the f'ing snot out of Bill in term of the Tom vs Bill debate. Amen.

And check yourself on the Brady checked out of the 2019 season. Here I am repeating myself again, which I'm going to surely hear about but for Christ's sake people keep coming at Brady with the same tired ********.

Go back and look at the 4th quarter, week 18 of the 2019 season. Patriots need this game to get a playoff bye. Down 17-20, Brady led a 4th quarter comeback TD drive to put the team up 24-20. With 3:53 left, the "Boogeymen" defense has to stop Ryan Fitzpatrick from leading a TD drive. Instead Fitzpatrick goes 9-12 for 77 yards and a TD with 0:24 left. The worst part about it was the Dolphins were inside the NE30 with under two minutes left and Belichick sat on all 3 of his timeouts as the clock, game, and the bye slipped away. So the only checking out on this day was by the head coach.

When are you guys going to admit that Brady wanted to continue to play compete for Championships. That was NOT going to happen here for the next few years, for ALL the reasons I have put forth over and over again. Cap issues, FA's leaving, older players retiring, mediocre draft capital, etc, etc, etc.
OBVIOUSLY! That's the point of playing at all for a quarterback of Brady's caliber, to win championships. He was winning them every other season in NE so why would he be convinced it couldn't happen again? As he was looking for the contract extension prior to the 2019 season, the team was coming off it's 6th Super Bowl championship. Hello!!

It's easy for you to say now the team wasn't going to win here for a few seasons, because they've sunk into interminable mediocrity since Brady left.

I mean just think about it for just a second. Why would Tom want to play throwing to Edelman on his last legs, and.....pretty much no one else, when he could throw to Evans, Brown, Godwin and Gronk, a good running attack, and a great DL/LB group on defense, with decent DB's. And this was just ONE of his potential landing spots.
More lies. Brown and Gronk weren't on that roster when Brady was considering Tampa Bay. And their running game sucked. After Brady signed with Tampa Bay, he brought in Brown and Gronk and then Fournette to fix the running game. That team was a pile of **** for 17 seasons before Brady got there. The literal worst organization is professional sports.

Now we all know that Tom was STILL the GOAT. But if he GENUINELY wanted to stay, why WOULDN'T he want to stay and play year to year. Christ he was going to be 43 in 2020. What would you have done as GM. Is it wise to have a long term contract with a 43 year old player?!
If Tom had REALLY wanted to stay and had confidence in himself why wouldn't he go year to year and incentive deals, if it helped the Pats cap situation.

NOOOOOOO, Tom did what was best for TOM, and rightfully so. He had a small window for playing time left and he needed a better roster to compete for championships. TB provided that for him. I'm personally glad he wound up there. When the rumors were flying around on where he'd land, I always thought TB looked like the best fit.
Now you're just yammering, repeating yourself. I addressed all this above.

I'll answer the GM question though. If I had been the GM of the Patriots in the summer of 2019 then I would have hung onto Brady for dear life and given him the extension he deserved and I would have maintained the only chance my team would have had for continued success.

Oh God! This old chestnut. You mean being unable to stop a miracle play at the end of the game where GRONK was the safety and couldn't catch Brandon Bolden. THAT was bill's fault? God what next. Bill is responsible for the Corona Virus.......AND the inflation. Blame Bill for the offensive coaching malpractice this season and I'll listen, but THE above is just whining, crybaby, "it's everyone's fault, but mine", mentality.
Um, wrong season, bub. The Miami miracle was in 2018. And yes, that loss was Bill's fault, but that's irrelevant to what I said. I was talking about the end of the 2019 season... I detailed that argument above.

OK, swearing is now allowed. About ****ing time! So listen you perpetual whining *******.
Ian gave you a trophy for your overall pathetically crafted post full of lies and gibberish, so he can correct me if I'm wrong (and I'll adjust my filter), but I don't think calling someone an ******* is in the spirit of the forum rules.

Edit: apology accepted

Bill's "hubris" and system (and perhaps one day I WILL clear that up for you, but it isn't a one sentence answer, so I doubt you'd have the patience for it) provided Pats fans the most successful and sustained period of football success in NFL history, for TWENTY ****ing years! So get off your high horse and grab a little perspective.
Again, you go completely off your rocker here. I commented on Bill's hubris leading to Brady's departure, which I stand by 100%. I wasn't commenting on the entire ****ing duration of the dynasty.

And the lack of appreciation and perspective here (other than Belichick himself also being guilty of this), comes from the IBWT side of the aisle. You underestimate the importance and impact of an all-time elite quarterback like Brady. Nothing happens without Brady, not 1 solitary championship, nothing. It's the way the NFL works, practically forever, the quarterback is the straw that stirs the drink. And having one the caliber of Brady opens up immense possibilities for your franchise. See also what Mahomes is doing for Kansas City.

this thread just needs constant popcorn reactions

Lol, not that odd. It happened after the game was over and the trophy was in the case and it’s called rooting your own horn. ;)
It's odd to me that instead of celebrating a great play by Butler we were told that the coaches were the reason for the play and that the other coach was responsible for calling the wrong play. I really don't understand why or when coaches became more important than players.

I don't want to drag this on any further so this will be my last word on this... I hope. :)

Reactions: Ian
It's odd to me that instead of celebrating a great play by Butler we were told that the coaches were the reason for the play and that the other coach was responsible for calling the wrong play. I really don't understand why or when coaches became more important than players.

I don't want to drag this on any further so this will be my last word on this... I hope. :)
Butler made the play, but he was also given reps in practice - by the coaching staff - to expect the play. Yes, it comes down to execution, but there's a good chance he doesn't jump the route if they hadn't repped it - and he hadn't repped it - ahead of the game.

If Brady is truly all done, he will take Krafts offer on a 1 day contract and file his retirement papers with the NFL.
This won't be a popular view but I think Brady should decline the offer. Brady originally wanted to retire a Patriot, and Kraft could have made it happen, but he deferred to Belichick instead. Brady left and he went on to have great success in a Buccaneers uniform. He retired a Buccaneers. That's that.

Brady will go in the HOF of both teams. He'll go in the actual HOF with both jerseys representing his career. His jersey number should be retired by the NFL and the Lombardi should be renamed. I'm being serious.

I really don't understand why or when coaches became more important than players.
The point so many are missing is the chicken/egg situation. Again, you can have all the talent in the world and not win with subpar coaching.

We see plenty of regular seasons where mediocre coaches finish with winning records. However, I think it's probably even fairer to admit the value in coaching in January/February, which is where it definitely matters even more.

Butler made the play, but he was also given reps in practice - by the coaching staff - to expect the play. Yes, it comes down to execution, but there's a good chance he doesn't jump the route if they hadn't repped it - and he hadn't repped it - ahead of the game.
There's a good chance Malcolm doesn't catch it if Russell Wilson doesn't drill the pass into his chest. Or better yet, Wilson should have checked out of the play altogether, or called a timeout, or maybe pulled back on the throw as the play was being immediately blown up. Wilson has escaped way too much criticism for this play.

This won't be a popular view but I think Brady should decline the offer. Brady originally wanted to retire a Patriot, and Kraft could have made it happen, but he deferred to Belichick instead. Brady left and he went on to have great success in a Buccaneers uniform. He retired a Buccaneers. That's that.

Brady will go in the HOF of both teams. He'll go in the actual HOF with both jerseys representing his career. His jersey number should be retired by the NFL and the Lombardi should be renamed. I'm being serious.
season 2 stir the pot GIF by MTV Floribama Shore

I really don't understand why or when coaches became more important than players.
They haven't. Your understanding is fine. Players are more important.

There's a good chance Malcolm doesn't catch it if Russell Wilson doesn't drill the pass into his chest. Or better yet, Wilson should have checked out of the play altogether, or called a timeout, or maybe pulled back on the throw as the play was being immediately blown up. Wilson has escaped way too much criticism for this play.
Doesn't change the fact he jumped the route because the coaches prepped him for it.

Burt Breer just said pretty bluntly that the door was open to go to the 49ers on the TEAM end of things but Brady determined he couldn't do it because, reading between the lines based off what Breer then said, Giselle basically won't let him take the kids out to California for extended periods of time so he'll basically never get to see them. That's why when the Dolphins said they're going with Tua the situation really did come down to either Tampa or retirement because he had to stay local to see his kids. Which...that legitimately makes me angry. Like very angry. What a...not good woman I'll just say that.

And if you don't believe Albert Breer then that's your problem, he is a legit source that's actually reinforcing gossip that I've alluded to.
So you invent a theory, then make yourself miserable based on that invented theory. Got it.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back