PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady says he's done "for good"

It's not an excuse, it's just a fact. Just because you might have a bead on who may or may not be leaving (and I'm sure out of all of those guys, there were likely at least one or more he might have been caught off guard by), it doesn't make it less challenging.

Obviously, most people agree that players win games. But at the same time, replacing players is still easier than replacing coaches.
This isn't unique to the Patriots though. This happens across the league, every single season. You don't think other teams have been poaching coaches from the Rams and 49ers? Probably faster than from the Pats.

Here are the issues:

1. Pats have the smallest coaching staff in the NFL. That's Bill's choice.
2. Pats like to have a small circle from where to hire coaches (usually called F&F). That's Bill's choice.
3. Pats are well known across the league for having their coaches work long hours at low pay. That's Bill's choice.
4. Pats are not into giving out titles, so there's a glass ceiling, which prompts coaches to leave for better opportunities. That's Bill's choice.

Because of all of the above, which is directly a result of how Bill wants to run things, it limits the availability of coaches and it encourages the departure of coaches. The fact the team is no longer having success is added motivation to leave.

All of this is on Bill. 100%

If the choice is between:
Evans
Welker
Jules
Moss

Or:
AB
Welker
Jules
Moss

I would go with:
Evans
AB
Welker or Jules
Moss

That receiver corp would be unstoppable w/ Tommy under center. Welker & Jules are the same type of receivers.
Racist

That receiver corp would be unstoppable w/ Tommy under center. Welker & Jules are the same type of receivers.

I pick Jules every day and twice on Sundays. He always comes up big in the clutch while Welker chokes in the spotlight. Welker might have put up better numbers at times, and ostensibly played in the same slot position, but I'm taking Edelman over him every time!

Welker chokes in the spotlight.
Other than the SB drop which was not the easiest catch where else has WW choked in the spotlight?

Fine

All Brady had to say was hang on for just 2 more months and I am done. Brady didn't because the door is open to comeback that's why.
Yeah, he could've. So you know how it goes happy wife, happy life..

What are the odds we see Brady in the Fox booth on SB Sunday?

This isn't unique to the Patriots though. This happens across the league, every single season. You don't think other teams have been poaching coaches from the Rams and 49ers? Probably faster than from the Pats.

Here are the issues:

1. Pats have the smallest coaching staff in the NFL. That's Bill's choice.
2. Pats like to have a small circle from where to hire coaches (usually called F&F). That's Bill's choice.
3. Pats are well known across the league for having their coaches work long hours at low pay. That's Bill's choice.
4. Pats are not into giving out titles, so there's a glass ceiling, which prompts coaches to leave for better opportunities. That's Bill's choice.

Because of all of the above, which is directly a result of how Bill wants to run things, it limits the availability of coaches and it encourages the departure of coaches. The fact the team is no longer having success is added motivation to leave.

All of this is on Bill. 100%
I haven't read anything confirming #3, but I don't disagree with the rest. I've said a couple of times now that the fact so many situations with guys on the staff internally get contentious is certainly a trend that's concerning. I read a lot of news elsewhere and you don't tend to see as many reports of internal issues coaching-staff-wise with other teams as there seems to be here.

What are the odds we see Brady in the Fox booth on SB Sunday?
Hopefully not. Let him cut his teeth over the offseason so he has more time to prep and doesn't end up sounding like Gronk.

It would have been an easy extension at the time for 2 years/ 50M. They would have avoided the $12.5M hit in 2020 and been able to sign both Brady and Thuney or McCourty and probably could have signed all three with a little creativity. Reminder, they had a zillion dollars for the 2021 cap (and could have backloaded contracts to account for that) but it's okay...we didnt' get Brady but we wouldn't have signed Henry, Smith, Bourne and Agholor for $50M annually and probably would have gone 0-17 because we didn't have them.
Didn't we spend $50m+ on just Smith and Agholor.

Basically we could have had Brady instead of Smith+Agholor :(

Hopefully not. Let him cut his teeth over the offseason so he has more time to prep and doesn't end up sounding like Gronk.
I thought he already has a contract with Fox and there's no way he's going to sound like Gronk.

Reactions: Ian
I'll believe it when the next Super Bowl is done and over with. Until then....

Are you saying that the person that controls every single aspect of the Patriots football operations as both GM and HC was caught off guard? The person that plays 3D chess while everyone else is playing checkers was caught with his pants down? That the football genius was pressured into making decisions because he lacked foresight? Maybe Bill is getting too old and is starting to slip.
Chess is literally a 4D game (time being the 4th dimension). If BB is playing 3D chess, he's doing it wrong.

If the choice is between:
Evans
Welker
Jules
Moss

Or:
AB
Welker
Jules
Moss

I would go with:
Evans
AB
Welker or Jules
Moss

If I had to pick 5 WR/TE I am going

Gronk
Martellus Bennett
Moss
AB
Welker

Its a real shame we hardly got to see Gronk and Bennett on the field together :(

Moss is obvious.
AB, who isn't crazy and/or hurt, would be sick with Brady.
Sad to say that if you look at the facts Welker is better than Edelman, even though the heart would pick Edelman.

**** me, that's so obvious but I never thought about it.

Chess is literally a 4D game (time being the 4th dimension). If BB is playing 3D chess, he's doing it wrong.
Actually I take that back. The board can effectively be viewed from a 2D plane. So if he's playing 3D chess (time being the 3rd dimension), he's doing it right.

I don't get you guys wanting to include AB on a hypothetical list of great Brady receivers. His best years were in Pittsburgh, he played one game for the Pats and he was a shadow of himself in Tampa. He did nothing to help further Tom Brady's career. I am all in on including Godwin or Evans, but c'mon. AB belongs on Roethlisburger's list, not Brady's.

I thought he already has a contract with Fox and there's no way he's going to sound like Gronk.
He does. I meant let him take some time during the offseason to work on his delivery, etc. I don't want to see him do it early and not be ready and have the entire country see it.

Annualized, roughly it would be around $25M for Brady or both of those clowns. Henry is a total ripoff as well. It's unreal how Team Bill tries to spin the cap in 2020 like it was impossible to spend $25M on Brady but they HAD TO sign McCourty and Thuney for the same price....because....the system or something.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back