PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady: an honest take

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selective short term memory.

Defense gave up 20 points not 27.
In the spirit of Christmas, Teflon Tom gifted Miami 7

Then there‘s what the NE coach was feeling about his 2019 league average QB with 1:45 left in the 2nd qtr:
“Do I have faith in my QB to get a first down let alone lead a scoring drive after all the passes he’s air mailed in the first half?
Nope!
Let the clock run
Only call running plays
Calling timeouts is futile”
—————————————-
1st half info BB had processed:

1st series: Brady 1-1 for 4 ydS
2nd series: Brady 2-4 for 20 yds
3rd series: Brady 0-2 INT (pick 7)
4th series: Brady 1-4 for 18 yds
5th series: Brady 1-1 for 50 yds (IMO underthrown ball with fearless catch)
———————————-
5-12 for 92 yds and INT

For the game: 55% passer
No question

BB declared that this team was pitching, defense and timely hitting were it's calling cards. 2 minute offense w chunk plays wasn't going to happen

With the completion of today's game, Tom's QBR this season will rest right around 88. In each of the last four seasons, starting with the suspension shortened season of 2016, Tom's QBR has declined. Tom's career average QBR is 97. He barely hit that last season and fell well below this season. Tom Brady will be 43 years old at the start of next season. If I'm BB, he doesn't get re-signed. I try to talk him into retiring as a Pat. He is playing well below Tom Brady averages now. He is no longer worth the investment. You can blame the offense all you want, but the steady 4-year decline is undebatable. It's not just QBR.. it's pretty much every stat that matters. They're all at 4 year lows this year. It's time to move on.
Congratulations you've managed to evenly divide the forum with 19 agrees and 19 disagrees. @DarrylS and @TouchDown Patriots evenly split in like/dislike. We were all counting on @VegasGuy to break the tie, but he's just confused. Lol

20191230_074017.jpg

Selective short term memory.

Defense gave up 20 points not 27.
In the spirit of Christmas, Teflon Tom gifted Miami 7

Then there‘s what the NE coach was feeling about his 2019 league average QB with 1:45 left in the 2nd qtr:
“Do I have faith in my QB to get a first down let alone lead a scoring drive after all the passes he’s air mailed in the first half?
Nope!
Let the clock run
Only call running plays
Calling timeouts is futile”
—————————————-
1st half info BB had processed:

1st series: Brady 1-1 for 4 ydS
2nd series: Brady 2-4 for 20 yds
3rd series: Brady 0-2 INT (pick 7)
4th series: Brady 1-4 for 18 yds
5th series: Brady 1-1 for 50 yds (IMO underthrown ball with fearless catch)
———————————-
5-12 for 92 yds and INT

For the game: 55% passer

The defense allowed a crummy Miami team to score 20 points (yes 7 came on a pick six) and rack up nearly 400 yards of offense. In the last drive, the Dolphins went 75 yards in 13 plays. They allowed Miami to convert two third downs. Gilmore alone allowed 3 receptions for 37 yards on the drive.

Brady wasn't good yesterday at all. But when all is said and done, he handed the defense a 4 point lead with less than 4 minutes to play and the defense couldn't stop Ryan Fitzpatrick, of all people, from marching right down the field for the game winning (or losing) touchdown.

Plenty of blame to go around, including the defense.

Congratulations you've managed to evenly divide the forum with 19 agrees and 19 disagrees. @DarrylS and @TouchDown Patriots evenly split in like/dislike. We were all counting on @VegasGuy to break the tie, but he's just confused. Lol

View attachment 25708
It's a helluva post with lots to unpack.

There is factually correct information with a polarizing PoV all in one post

I'm not sure what my reaction is. Agree and a dislike?

It's surreal that the time has come where there is legitimate debate to be had whether to keep or move on from Brady. The Pats are currently 10 to 1 to win the SB & would in all likelihood have to win @ the chiefs and @ ravens. Their season is likely (mathematically) over.

This post already shows a split fanbase. There are merits to both sides.

Whether you go by standard metrics (comp pct, passer rating) advanced metrics (passer rating under pressure, adjusted accuracy), or tape (multiple below average games - Eagles, Bengals & 1st half Dolphins) there is enough evidence of a decline. Once the best QB in the league under pressure he now needs his surroundings to be great to produce. I'm not completely buying all the WRs suck besides Edelman either. WRs have been open on all-22.

Brady's production the last two seasons:

upload_2019-12-30_7-58-55.png

Average QB production across the NFL:

upload_2019-12-30_8-0-15.png

The pats have had average QB production the last two seasons & are 26-7 with a SB. The notion they would be garbage with another QB doesn't hold up unless they would have bottom 3-5 QB production.

Is Brady's statistical decline all his fault? No. Is there enough evidence that he is no longer an elite QB going on two seasons? I think so - particularly his passer rating under pressure.

Paying a QB that can no longer carry an offense 25+ million a season in guarantees with a limited supporting cast doesn't sound like a sound GM move.

I'd honestly rather just go with Stidham -- or a displaced starter like Andy Dalton for a year -- and regroup on offense as we start a rebuild.

In terms of Brady, I'm not sure any teams come calling after this falling off the cliff down the stretch. Maybe the Bears? We could be looking at Brady retiring.
Wow, so much here. Doubt @ashley1992 or @Ross12 would agree to moderate the GDT next year, with Red Rifle at the helm, it would be a doozy.

You captured "falling off the cliff," but forgot "passing of the tourch." Is last weeks game part of "down the stretch?" Nice try though.

It's surreal that the time has come where there is legitimate debate to be had whether to keep or move on from Brady. The Pats are currently 10 to 1 to win the SB & would in all likelihood have to win @ the chiefs and @ ravens. Their season is likely (mathematically) over.

This post already shows a split fanbase. There are merits to both sides.

Whether you go by standard metrics (comp pct, passer rating) advanced metrics (passer rating under pressure, adjusted accuracy), or tape (multiple below average games - Eagles, Bengals & 1st half Dolphins) there is enough evidence of a decline. Once the best QB in the league under pressure he now needs his surroundings to be great to produce. I'm not completely buying all the WRs suck besides Edelman either. WRs have been open on all-22.

Brady's production the last two seasons:

View attachment 25709

Average QB production across the NFL:

View attachment 25710

The pats have had average QB production the last two seasons & are 26-7 with a SB. The notion they would be garbage with another QB doesn't hold up unless they would have bottom 3-5 QB production.

Is Brady's statistical decline all his fault? No. Is there enough evidence that he is no longer an elite QB going on two seasons? I think so - particularly his passer rating under pressure.

Paying a QB that can no longer carry an offense 25+ million a season in guarantees with a limited supporting cast doesn't sound like a sound GM move.

Brady has to know that there won't likely be a market out there for a huge payday, not that that's ever been his MO in the first place. They're already on the hook for something like $14 million due to his current contract. If they pay him $10 million, that's $24 million tied up in the QB position. The only way to go cheaper is to basically start Stidham and really go for the rebuild. I think there's enough talent on the team to give them one more go-round in 2020. Hopefully Brady would take a one-year deal for modest money. If he's looking to improve the team, he really should take a small contract (something like $5 million), reducing his overall cap hit and freeing up important dollars to add talent. If I'm him, at this point in my career I'm not caring about extracting as much money as possible. I'm looking to win one more ring.

I'd be very comfortable with Brady being paid $8 million in 2020 and quarterbacking the team again next year.

Hope he goes and finds an owner who will appreciate him and do right by him. Man has lost millions of dollars by taking less than what he deserves for the sake of the team and gets left with crap.

You do realize that they effectively paid him $23,000,000 for this season, right? Sure, some of it will be in deferred bonus money, but in the end, he's going to earn $23,000,000 for playing the 2019 season for the Patriots.

Last edited:
We are ready to dump a QB that helped lead a team to a 12-4 record. Guy is a bum. Yesterdays loss was on the D. Just like the 2007, 2011 and 2017 SB.

Wow! I've only read the last 2 pages of this thread, but I am sure in the 13 other pages Brady has also been accused of murdering kittens and as being the guy on the grassy knoll. The Pats and Brady have been disappointing this year (can't believe I am saying that after a 12-4 season). There are lots of reason for the decline of Brady and the offense. Age, injuries, poor player decisions, poor coaching, etc. But I don't see the need to tear apart a guy who is 42 doing something that no other player has done or could even come close to. And I don't mean win 6 SB, I mean competing at a level that most players are years into their retirement by this age. Has Brady declined? Absolutely. Is he the player he once was? No way. But I have seen enough of him THIS YEAR to see he still has the arm, still has the pocket awareness and still has the drive to make this team a championship caliber team. But he can't do it as the team is currently set up. He needs more help. And I don't see any shame in saying that about a 42 year with 20 years under his belt. The Pats need to fish or cut bait next season. Get him (and edelman) more help. Better WR's, and actual TE and more depth at OL. If they are not committed to that then they need to let Brady walk and remake the team. Its sad to see Bradys career coming to an end and however this season or his career ends I am sure he will be fighting til the last snap.

TB would have to rebound more than a bit just to get back to career average numbers. At age 43, such a revival is pretty unlikely. From a shrewd GM's standpoint, it's time to move on. Although, we don't know what we really have in Stidham yet.
Stats are for LOSERS

Some terrible drops today though. Don't get me wrong brady was bad. Receivers were worse

He was gifted the TD pass by an incredible effort by Elandon Roberts.

His. Throwing. Arm. Is. Injured.

what part of this do people not understand?

That kind of thing, and the recovery times, don’t improve with age.

Last edited:
The defense allowed a crummy Miami team to score 20 points (yes 7 came on a pick six) and rack up nearly 400 yards of offense. In the last drive, the Dolphins went 75 yards in 13 plays. They allowed Miami to convert two third downs. Gilmore alone allowed 3 receptions for 37 yards on the drive.

Brady wasn't good yesterday at all. But when all is said and done, he handed the defense a 4 point lead with less than 4 minutes to play and the defense couldn't stop Ryan Fitzpatrick, of all people, from marching right down the field for the game winning (or losing) touchdown.

Plenty of blame to go around, including the defense.
The defense is what disappointed me the most. I thought we were past giving up a TD when we needed a stop but it doesn’t look like it. I’m not sure why the defense has regressed so much as there haven’t been any major injuries and the Dolphins aren’t a great team.

Brady's Dad famously said that it would end ugly for Brady.

It (this dynasty) is ending ugly for us here in Patsfansland right now.

The 2020 schedule looks formidable. I know, it's early, but it includes Ravens, Chiefs, 49ers, Seahawks, plus four games against very improved AFCE teams in Dolphins and Bills. Right now, with a healthy Brady, this is a .500 team against that schedule.

Whether the QB is Brady or someone else, the Pats are going to need some cap space relief from the QB position next year if they are going to build a championship worthy team.
2020 Quarterback Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap. They'll need to create dominance in other units.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What fourth and one ? What are you even talking about ?

Maybe stick to beach volleyball or something.. neither types of football seem to be something that people from Brazil can comprehend.

Hello racist, i don't give a f u c k about you ****. You don't know s h i t about Brazil. Go f u c k yourself:). Spend the whole day here being a smartass, but is f u cking r e t arded that wanna impose your opinion down other ppl throats. Go find a job you p u ssy, stop living on you moms basement w ierdo. You kind the the reverse Barry. If we take a pic of BB n ut you will be there.

What fourth and one ? What are you even talking about ? >> Other game. Kansas city game.

Part of the blame for a disappointing season (12-4 but still disappointing) is the decision to basically go with garbage TEs, no true deep threat WR to stretch the field and gambling on 2 WRs who were ticking timebombs. Injuries just added to the problem. A 42 year old QB dealing with a bunch of JAGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back