PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady: an honest take

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since TB has turned 39 this is what he's helped the team do...

-Biggest comeback in Superbowl History
-Broke passing yardage record in Superbowl 52
-Won Superbowl 53
-Another double digit win season

Safe to say the team made the right call. These past few years alone is a HoF career

It's not easy to do this we just become so spoiled that we expect them to win every single game. TB had a bad season by his standards but he still led the team to another divisional crown, a home playoff game and a shot to keep playing. We could be the Rams who were at the superbowl just last year and look at them now.

He’s in decline right now.

I am not seeing his decline.

I am seeing a god awful receiver corps that can get no separation, and TEs who don’t know how to run a route, and the one time Tom squeezes a ball to a WR they often drop it.

He's about to turn 43. This happens with increasing frequency to people as they age. What part of that do you not understand? The chances of him going through a season in the NFL at 43 and not being beset with all the same or worse ailments is virtually nil.

For the last time, Tom is not the frickin reason for the team’s ailments

In particular the Jimmy Garoppolo hot take artists and revisionists are just killing me here.

They railed about the idea of going with JG over Brady and spent the 2018 season laughing at and mocking the rational posters who thought Garoppolo was going to be awesome (though that doesn’t mean they were in favor of kicking Brady to the curb.). That was when JG blew his ACL. Now the moment it’s “pay up” time for the trade, which was largely sacrificing long-term success to complete an all-time historical career from Brady as a hometown legend, they are suddenly here in droves with the second guessing “told you so,” “would have won with Jimmy last year too” drivel. Yet no one said that last year. I am just so amazed at how ****ty so many forum members are when the magic force behind the Patriots/Brady appears to be receding at last. In fairness, it isn’t a lot of regular posters. It’s lurkers coming out of the woodwork to proclaim now smart (yet oddly silent) they were the whole time.
Half of them oddly probably want us to lose with Brady to prove some odd point

Nursing multiple ailments I believe while being doubled/tripled.

If Edelman had been tripled we would have scored about 40 points on the Dolphins because the coverage math would just not work out. This is getting ridiculous.

Of course his health has become one of the key issues on offense. He couldn't throw accurate intermediate passes consistently yesterday.

If Edelman had been tripled we would have scored about 40 points on the Dolphins because the coverage math would just not work out. This is getting ridiculous.
I admit I haven't been here long enough to know how our SBless run for 9 years was, but I wonder how bad the forum was from 09-14. This is worst ive ever seen it. Its not even people being depressed. Its entitled and spoiled.

I admit I haven't been here long enough to know how our SBless run for 9 years was, but I wonder how bad the forum was from 09-14. This is worst ive ever seen it. Its not even people being depressed. Its entitled and spoiled.

Completely agree. The way people are acting you’d think we finished 6-10 after we had high hopes for season. Instead we went in with gaping holes at WR/TE that remain unresolved and still managed to finish 12-4 and division champions and a home playoff game to come. Meanwhile people are singing the glories of 49ers, Saints and Chiefs who have ONE more win. And even yesterday should have been a Pats win really just defense didn’t deliver when it mattered. Tom got us the go-ahead TD at the end. Saints are in exact same position as us. They are playing next weekend too.

The members on this forum are acting like the entitled pricks the rest of the NFL fans accuse us to be.

BB: an honest take

4th and 1 on 1 yd goal line kick the field goal (decision issue)

1:43 and 3 timeouts decided to go to lockroom (time man issue)
Edelman is hurt and they don't rest him (roster man issue)
They don't throw to the TE (Why would you draft a RB in the third round if you NEED a professional TE)

Is he on decline?

Mahomes threw for 24 less TD's and is praised
Rodgers is having a 26/4 season with a WAY better line and running game.

Tom had a bad pick 6 yesterday but D was atrocious. Sanu was dropping everything, Watson penalties killed us, our PS Trent Harris was hurring Tom, Gilmore looked like a pop warner CB, JJ was BAD. JE is hurt. Harry did not learn that in the NFL you have to land with both feet to score ... But let's take a honest take on Tom....

Tom had a bad pick 6 yesterday but D was atrocious. Sanu was dropping everything, Watson penalties killed us, our PS Trent Harris was hurring Tom, Gilmore looked like a pop warner CB, JJ was BAD. JE is hurt. Harry did not learn that in the NFL you have to land with both feet to score ... But let's take a honest take on Tom....

You forgot Meyers double shift penalty that killed a 3rd down pickup and killed a possession. You forgot BB’s atrocious decision to not use last 2 min of 1st half. That’s 2 possessions wasted right there.

He's part of the problem especially the last few games. The ball has been sailing on him big time.

I'm not saying don't sign him next year. I'm not saying he's done. I'm just saying that he's not playing his best football because he's hurt.

Well that OPI was complete BS. You can't blame Watson for that.

He's part of the problem especially the last few games. The ball has been sailing on him big time.

I'm not saying don't sign him next year. I'm not saying he's done. I'm just saying that he's not playing his best football because he's hurt.

To say that you have to believe he’s not seeing the separation players are getting and not throwing to them or not hitting them when they are open accurately. Reality is that noone is ever open (Edelman is double covered) and when he finally hits them both Sanu and Meyers especially have been dropping everything coming their way. And Tom ends up holding the ball longer waiting for someone to open which then makes the OL look bad too. It’s all linked and it all starts with the ineptness of the WR/TE crew.

To say that you have to believe he’s not seeing the separation players are getting and not throwing to them or not hitting them when they are open accurately. Reality is that noone is ever open (Edelman is double covered) and when he finally hits them both Sanu and Meyers especially have been dropping everything coming their way. And Tom ends up holding the ball longer waiting for someone to open which then makes the OL look bad too. It’s all linked and it all starts with the ineptness of the WR/TE crew.

Nah, it starts with the guy throwing the ball. The buck stops with him.

Why is Jimmy even mentioned in this thread? Jimmy got traded and we won two more Super Bowls with Brady. Most QBs dream of even appearing in the Super Bowl, never mind appearing in three and winning two. The Brady extension was the correct choice, I don't even know why people are bringing up JG again. Brady has been injured, yes, and there should be questions asked whether he should continue to play for another season or more, but JG is 100% irrelevant in this conversation.

Do you know who hasn't been to the Super Bowl in 8 years? Most non-Patriots fans claim him to be the best QB to ever step onto the field, not the GOAT, but the BOAT. The great Aaron Rodgers. Eight years since his last and only Super Bowl appearance.

Why is Jimmy even mentioned in this thread? Jimmy got traded and we won two more Super Bowls with Brady. Most QBs dream of even appearing in the Super Bowl, never mind appearing in three and winning two. The Brady extension was the correct choice, I don't even know why people are bringing up JG again. Brady has been injured, yes, and there should be questions asked whether he should continue to play for another season or more, but JG is 100% irrelevant in this conversation.

Do you know who hasn't been to the Super Bowl in 8 years? Most non-Patriots fans claim him to be the best QB to ever step onto the field, not the GOAT, but the BOAT. The great Aaron Rodgers. Eight years since his last and only Super Bowl appearance.

And they couldn't have kept Jimmy anyways. No team is going to pay their backup starter money. No. Team. Trading him was the only decision that made sense considering they got a pick and a backup QB for him instead of the nothing they would have gotten if they held on to him until the end of the year.

With the completion of today's game, Tom's QBR this season will rest right around 88. In each of the last four seasons, starting with the suspension shortened season of 2016, Tom's QBR has declined. Tom's career average QBR is 97. He barely hit that last season and fell well below this season. Tom Brady will be 43 years old at the start of next season. If I'm BB, he doesn't get re-signed. I try to talk him into retiring as a Pat. He is playing well below Tom Brady averages now. He is no longer worth the investment. You can blame the offense all you want, but the steady 4-year decline is undebatable. It's not just QBR.. it's pretty much every stat that matters. They're all at 4 year lows this year. It's time to move on.

Tom Brady's final stat line and where he ranks among qualified NFL QBs this year:

373-613 (60.8%), 4,057 yds, 6.6 y/a, 24 td, 8 int, 88.0 rating

Comp: 373 (7th)
Att: 613 (4th)
Comp%: 60.8 (27th)
Yds: 4,057 (7th)
Yds/Att: 6.6 (27th)
TD: 24 (13th)
Rating: 88.0 (19th)

He has played at a league average starting QB level this year, which is definitely good enough to win a Super Bowl if the other parts of the team do their job. For example, 24 points scored against Miami should have *easily* been enough, if the defense played up to its normal 2019 standard. But nope. This was still a 13-3 caliber team even with an average Brady.

Re-signing him all depends on the money. If Brady is willing to take a small salary (his cap hit will be much bigger than his actual salary because of carry-over from this year), the Pats can add talent around him and make another run at a championship. I'd still obviously trust him over Stidham.

The question is: if you move on from Brady, who replaces him? Stidham? Maybe. Or do they trade up in the draft to get Tua or Hebert? And do we have any idea of those guys are the answer? And what about a FA quarterback? I mean, Fitzpatrick is available, but is HE the guy you want? He'll also likely make more than Brady next year. Rivers would be available. Haha. Eli would be. Winston would be. I mean, really, what are the options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes