PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Today in Patriots History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very short list today.

Don Allard, 4/21/1936-5/4/2002 (66)
Patriot QB, 1962
Uniform #12
Allard grew up in Somerville and spent three years as quarterback at Boston College. At Chestnut Hill his favorite target was future Patriot WR Jim Colclough. Washington selected Allard as the fourth overall pick in the 1959 draft. That was the highest an Eagle was ever drafted for 49 years, until the Falcons drafted Matt Ryan. The Saskatchewan Roughriders also drafted Allard and offered him almost double the money that Washington did, so he headed north to play in the CFL.

Allard played out his option so that he could join the Patriots in the first year of the AFL, but Montreal picked him up on waivers. A year later he was released but by that time the Pats were no longer interested. The New York Titans signed him in '61, and then Allard finally joined the Patriots in 1962. He appeared in only four games, with no stats.

In the sixties Allard played locally in semipro leagues. He quarterbacked the Sweepers to back-to-back titles in the old Atlantic Coast Football League, and finished his career in 1969 with the Quincy Giants of the ACFL. For a more detailed bio, check out The Secret Career of Don Allard.

And if you ever want to stump your friends with a bit of Patriot franchise history there is this: Allard was the first player in Pats team history to wear uniform number 12.

Rip Hawkins, 4/21/1939-7/28/2015 (76)
The Boston Patriots selected the linebacker from UNC in the second round, tenth overall in the 1961 draft. Unfortunately for the Pats he never played for them; he signed with Minnesota, who had also drafted him in the second round in their inaugural season. Hawkins was a starting MLB for all five of his NFL seasons with the Vikes. Despite his youth Hawkins was named Minnesota's captain on defense. The Pro Bowler had twelve career interceptions, including five in his rookie season. After his playing career, Hawkins was an assistant district attorney in Atlanta, owned a metallurgic business in Minneapolis, and moved to Denver where he worked for an oil company. Later he moved to Wyoming and ran a 700 acre Ranch. Hawkins remained active until just before his death, going on 30 mile bike rides. At the end of his life Hawkins was diagnosed with Lewy body dementia, which is the second most common type of progressive dementia after Alzheimer’s disease.

Also from the New England area:
Ken Strong 4/21/1906-10/5/1979 (73)
Strong was born and raised in West Haven CT. He is the all-time scoring leader for the Staten Island Stapletons (seriously, I'm not making that up). He spent 12 years in the NFL (interrupted by four years of WWII service) and was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1967.

Other notable NFL birthdays:
- Tony Romo, 37; Cowboy QB turned broadcaster.
- Khalif Barnes, 35; Jaguar/Raider/Saint OT 2005-15.
- Tony McGee, 46; not the Patriot former DL; this one was a Bengal TE with 539 career receptions.

Only a couple of April 22 Patriot birthdays.

Elandon Roberts, 23 (4/22/1994)
Patriot LB, 2016-
Uniform #52
The Pats selected the Houston Cougar in the sixth round (214th overall) in the 2016 draft. Including the playoffs Roberts played in 16 games, with five starts.

For more details on Roberts, check out this detailed column by Kevin Duffy, it's pretty good.

New England Patriots rookie LB Elandon Roberts might be another Bill Belichick late-round gem | masslive.com

Bob Geddes, 71 (4/22/1946)
Patriot LB, 1973-1975
Uniform #59
After getting a late start due to military service, Geddes was an honorable mention All-American DE at UCLA and 14th round draft pick by the Rams in 1970. He was converted to linebacker and spent that first year on the practice squad. Denver claimed him off waivers but he spent '71 on IR. Geddes appeared in all 14 games for the Broncos in '72, with three starts. Chuck Fairbanks picked him up during the '73 seasons and he eventually would play in 24 games for the Patriots, with six starts.

In 1974 Geddes started five games and had two interceptions. Most memorable was an October 13th 24-0 shutout at Shea Stadium over the Jets, to advance to 5-0. It was the latest time in a season the Pats were in first place since I don't know when. The Patriots dominated and Geddes put the exclamation point on the game with a 29-yard pick-six.

Among other things in his post-football career Geddes was the CEO of TBA Global, a corporation that ''produces live events that communicate messages and create brand marketing experiences for global corporations. These events include corporate business meetings, product launches, consumer marketing programs, sponsored music tours, entertainment programming for fairs, festivals and special events and management services for some of today's leading musical artists and performers.''

NFL players with New England ties:

Mike Buck, 50 (4/22/1967)
Buck went to the University of Maine, where he set 27 Black Bears records. He was a sixth round pick, 156th overall by the Saints in the 1990 draft. He also spent time with Arizona and Miami, and saw action in twelve NFL games. Buck was later involved in Arena football, as a head coach and director of football operations. He now coaches high school football in his native Long Island.

Ed Bradley, 67 (4/22/1950)
Not to be confused with the 60 minutes journalist, this Ed Bradley was a middle linebacker who was born in Bridgeport and grew up in Stratford CT. His father was a pro football player too, who also played minor league baseball with the Red Sox. Bradley was a 4th round pick (88th overall) by the Steelers in the 1972 draft. He picked up two Superbowl rings with Pittsburgh and replaced an injured Jack Lambert in Superbowl IX. Bradley also played with Seattle and San Francisco, appearing in 93 NFL games with 32 starts from 1972-78.

Other NFL 4/22 birthdays:
- Darren Fells, 31; Arizona TE is brother of former Patriot TE Daniel Fells.
- Freeman McNeil, 58; Pro Bowl RB for Jets rushed for 8074 yards.
- Jeff Hostetler, 56; filled in for Phil Simms and won the Superbowl in the Scott Norwood wide right game.
- Marshawn Lynch, 31; can we stop with speculation that Beast Mode will be a Patriot in 2017 now?

Thanks for taking the time to sort out all of this information, @jmt57. I'm sure it's an enormous pain in the butt.

It's crazy to see some of the players I remember as a kid like Jets RB Freeman McNeil. I had actually forgotten all about the fact that Jeff Hostetler led the NYG to a SB victory as a backup when Simms became injured. That should remind us what an awesome defense that team had.

Still miffed at the fact that Belichick drafted Tom Brady 17 yrs ago already, and on Bill's Birthday, to boot.

Hoping Elandon Roberts can take a step forward this season. He appeared to grow with more reps, which is obviously a good thing. It's often assumed, but not always the case. Even guys like Spikes and Hightower took a couple of years to fully reach their potential.

@supafly - It's time consuming but I find it very interesting. I'd rather do this than read more speculation on the latest Jimmy Garoppollo or Malcolm Butler trade rumor. It's easy to do with some good music on in the background. Plus now that my kids are grown and no longer under the same roof I have more time on my hands.

One thing that stands out is how very short the career is for the vast majority of those who make it to the NFL. So very many last only one or two years, and it is rare to find players who were able to stay in the league for more than four years.

Something that hit home last night when looking up Roberts: he is a guy with a Superbowl ring, was on a dukw boat in a parade in front of millions and invited to the white house - and is just a couple months older than my youngest daughter, someone I still look at as my baby girl.

April 23 has an original Patriot and a more recent Pat. Patience, these will get a whole lot more interesting in just a few days.

Gerhard Schwedes, 79 (4/23/1938)
Patriot HB, 1960-61
Uniform #44

When the AFL formed, the eight owners agreed to have a consensus regional player go to each team. With no decent college teams in New England at that time, the Patriots ended up with Schwedes – and he therefore is the answer to the trivia question of who was the first player "drafted" in the history of the Patriots franchise.

Ger Schwedes was an All-American and captain at Syracuse, playing halfback, safety and quarterback. In 1959 the Orange went undefeated and beat Texas in the Cotton Bowl to win the National Championship. Schwedes played a pivotal role in the game, throwing an 87-yard halfback option pass to RB Ernie Davis to score the game’s first touchdown on the third play of the game, and running for another TD himself in the third quarter. Schwedes finished ninth in voting for the Heisman Trophy.

The Pats traded the German-born Schwedes to the Titans before the season began, then re-signed him in mid-season. Injuries derailed his pro career though. In seven games over two seasons with the Patriots, Schwedes rushed for 14 yards on ten carries and had one reception for 21 yards. After a stint in the army where he rose to the rank of captain, he then moved to upstate New York, owning a small marketing company that specialized in motivational aids. His son Scott also went to Syracuse, setting school receiving records that lasted for 31 years. Scott was drafted in the second round by Miami; he was with the Dolphins from 1987-90 as their punt returner and backup WR.

Quinn Ojinnaka, 33 (4/23/1984)
Patriot G/T, 2010
Uniform #68
The Pats picked up Ojinnaka near the end of the 2010 training camp from Atlanta, in exchange for a 2011 seventh round pick. He had previously been suspended for one week for an off season arrest, then replaced Marques Murrell. The Patriots cut Ojinnaka on September 30 to make room for RB Thomas Clayton, and then re-signed Ojinnaka a week later. He appeared in eight regular season games and one playoff games with the Patriots. In seven NFL seasons he appeared in 62 games with 20 starts.

Ojinnaka is one of at least three former Patriots (Brennan Williams, Monty Brown) that turned to pro wrestling after their NFL careers ended. He goes by the name of Moose and is the reigning Impact Grand Champion.

Last year in an interview with Sports Illustrated, Ojinnaka had the following to say:

“I’d love to give Goodell a spear,” said Ojinnaka, who is known in Ring of Honor as Moose. “Free Tom Brady.”

The 6’5”, 300-pound former offensive lineman–who is about to become the biggest free agent in wrestling–is furious about Goodell’s treatment of the Brady suspension.

“Goodell lost the battle,” said Moose. “Tom Brady played last year, and he is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, so why would the NFL not want to see him play? They’re making a lot of money off the guy, and I really thought we ended this last year.”

“Playing under Bill Belichick helped me a lot with how I get ready for a match,” said Moose. “Bill Belichick got you better prepared than any other coach in the NFL, and that’s one of the reasons why I come so prepared to my matches. I watch tape of my opponent, I study my opponent and I go into the match knowing more about him than he knows about himself.”

Moose explained that Belichick treated him in the same manner that he treated every other player.

“On the field, Belichick was an a--hole to everybody,” said Moose. “At the end of the day, all he cared about was winning.”​

Jim Kelly, 75 (4/23/1942)
The Notre Dame tight end was a second round (13th overall) selection by the Patriots in the 1961 draft. Kelly instead signed with Pittsburgh, for whom he was also a second round pick. Considering the competition, I would have thought teams would talk to players such as Kelly before the draft, to get a feel for whether or not they would sign - rather than being a waste of such an early draft pick. Kelly only lasted three seasons in the NFL, totaling 31 receptions for 531 yards and five TD.

Other pro football players with New England ties:

Shawn Halloran, 53 (4/23/1964)
Halloran was born in Gardner and is an alumnus of Oakmont Regional High School in Ashburnham, and Boston College. He fared well in the unenviable task of following Doug Flutie as the quarterback at BC. Halloran threw for 5,252 yards and 30 touchdowns with the Eagles. In their 9-3 1986 season his touchdown pass in the final seconds of play gave BC a 27- 24 victory over Georgia in the 1986 Hall of Fame Bowl.

In 1987-88 Halloran backed up Neil Lomax with the Rams. He made only three NFL appearances, going 1-1 in his two starts. Since then he has moved around in various ranks as a college football assistant coach.

Tony Elliott, 4/23/1959-12/31/2007 (49)
Elliott is from Bridgeport, where he graduated from Harding High School. The nose tackle was drafted by New Orleans in the fifth round of the 1982 draft. Elliott played in 85 games with 61 starts for the Saints from 1982 to 1988. He once said that he 'had three loves: football, cocaine and booze'. In 2000 he was shot and paralyzed by an alleged drug dealer. For more on his life, see this 2008 espn column: Tony Elliott's life, death took tragic turns.

Scott Lutrus, 29 (4/23/1988)
The Brookfield CT native stayed local, going to UConn. The linebacker was originally signed by Jacksonville, and then was part of the Rams practice squad. Indy signed him late in the 2011 season, and he appeared in four games. He spent 2012 on IR and was waived/injured by the Colts in 2013. He later played in the short lived Fall Experimental Football League, until it folded last year.

Kyle Juszczyk, 26 (4/23/1991)
"Juice" was a tight end at Harvard, and drafted in the fourth round (130th overall) by the Ravens in 2013. He has been a fullback in the NFL, and made the Pro Bowl last year. The free agent signed a four year, $21 million contract with the Niners in March, making him the highest paid fullback in NFL history.

Exceptional 4/23 pro football names:
- Fungy Lebengood, halfback for the Pottsville Maroons in 1925.
- Jack Bighead, DE/TE for Colts and Rams (and movie/tv actor).
- Edwin Lovelady, 'replacement' WR in 1987.
- Ken Logenecher, Steeler DT/T in 1960.
- Uwe Von Schamann, 61; Dolphin K, 1979-84.

Other NFL notables born today:
- Sam Madison, 43; four-time Pro Bowl CB with Miami.
- Joe Ferguson, 67; QB played 17 seasons and led NFL in passing yards in 1977.

April 23 has an original Patriot and a more recent Pat. Patience, these will get a whole lot more interesting in just a few days.

Gerhard Schwedes, 79 (4/23/1938)
Patriot HB, 1960-61
Uniform #44

When the AFL formed, the eight owners agreed to have a consensus regional player go to each team. With no decent college teams in New England at that time, the Patriots ended up with Schwedes – and he therefore is the answer to the trivia question of who was the first player "drafted" in the history of the Patriots franchise.

Ger Schwedes was an All-American and captain at Syracuse, playing halfback, safety and quarterback. In 1959 the Orange went undefeated and beat Texas in the Cotton Bowl to win the National Championship. Schwedes played a pivotal role in the game, throwing an 87-yard halfback option pass to RB Ernie Davis to score the game’s first touchdown on the third play of the game, and running for another TD himself in the third quarter. Schwedes finished ninth in voting for the Heisman Trophy.

The Pats traded the German-born Schwedes to the Titans before the season began, then re-signed him in mid-season. Injuries derailed his pro career though. In seven games over two seasons with the Patriots, Schwedes rushed for 14 yards on ten carries and had one reception for 21 yards. After a stint in the army where he rose to the rank of captain, he then moved to upstate New York, owning a small marketing company that specialized in motivational aids. His son Scott also went to Syracuse, setting school receiving records that lasted for 31 years. Scott was drafted in the second round by Miami; he was with the Dolphins from 1987-90 as their punt returner and backup WR.

Quinn Ojinnaka, 33 (4/23/1984)
Patriot G/T, 2010
Uniform #68
The Pats picked up Ojinnaka near the end of the 2010 training camp from Atlanta, in exchange for a 2011 seventh round pick. He had previously been suspended for one week for an off season arrest, then replaced Marques Murrell. The Patriots cut Ojinnaka on September 30 to make room for RB Thomas Clayton, and then re-signed Ojinnaka a week later. He appeared in eight regular season games and one playoff games with the Patriots. In seven NFL seasons he appeared in 62 games with 20 starts.

Ojinnaka is one of at least three former Patriots (Brennan Williams, Monty Brown) that turned to pro wrestling after their NFL careers ended. He goes by the name of Moose and is the reigning Impact Grand Champion.

Last year in an interview with Sports Illustrated, Ojinnaka had the following to say:

“I’d love to give Goodell a spear,” said Ojinnaka, who is known in Ring of Honor as Moose. “Free Tom Brady.”

The 6’5”, 300-pound former offensive lineman–who is about to become the biggest free agent in wrestling–is furious about Goodell’s treatment of the Brady suspension.

“Goodell lost the battle,” said Moose. “Tom Brady played last year, and he is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, so why would the NFL not want to see him play? They’re making a lot of money off the guy, and I really thought we ended this last year.”

“Playing under Bill Belichick helped me a lot with how I get ready for a match,” said Moose. “Bill Belichick got you better prepared than any other coach in the NFL, and that’s one of the reasons why I come so prepared to my matches. I watch tape of my opponent, I study my opponent and I go into the match knowing more about him than he knows about himself.”

Moose explained that Belichick treated him in the same manner that he treated every other player.

“On the field, Belichick was an a--hole to everybody,” said Moose. “At the end of the day, all he cared about was winning.”​

Jim Kelly, 75 (4/23/1942)
The Notre Dame tight end was a second round (13th overall) selection by the Patriots in the 1961 draft. Kelly instead signed with Pittsburgh, for whom he was also a second round pick. Considering the competition, I would have thought teams would talk to players such as Kelly before the draft, to get a feel for whether or not they would sign - rather than being a waste of such an early draft pick. Kelly only lasted three seasons in the NFL, totaling 31 receptions for 531 yards and five TD.

Other pro football players with New England ties:

Shawn Halloran, 53 (4/23/1964)
Halloran was born in Gardner and is an alumnus of Oakmont Regional High School in Ashburnham, and Boston College. He fared well in the unenviable task of following Doug Flutie as the quarterback at BC. Halloran threw for 5,252 yards and 30 touchdowns with the Eagles. In their 9-3 1986 season his touchdown pass in the final seconds of play gave BC a 27- 24 victory over Georgia in the 1986 Hall of Fame Bowl.

In 1987-88 Halloran backed up Neil Lomax with the Rams. He made only three NFL appearances, going 1-1 in his two starts. Since then he has moved around in various ranks as a college football assistant coach.

Tony Elliott, 4/23/1959-12/31/2007 (49)
Elliott is from Bridgeport, where he graduated from Harding High School. The nose tackle was drafted by New Orleans in the fifth round of the 1982 draft. Elliott played in 85 games with 61 starts for the Saints from 1982 to 1988. He once said that he 'had three loves: football, cocaine and booze'. In 2000 he was shot and paralyzed by an alleged drug dealer. For more on his life, see this 2008 espn column: Tony Elliott's life, death took tragic turns.

Scott Lutrus, 29 (4/23/1988)
The Brookfield CT native stayed local, going to UConn. The linebacker was originally signed by Jacksonville, and then was part of the Rams practice squad. Indy signed him late in the 2011 season, and he appeared in four games. He spent 2012 on IR and was waived/injured by the Colts in 2013. He later played in the short lived Fall Experimental Football League, until it folded last year.

Kyle Juszczyk, 26 (4/23/1991)
"Juice" was a tight end at Harvard, and drafted in the fourth round (130th overall) by the Ravens in 2013. He has been a fullback in the NFL, and made the Pro Bowl last year. The free agent signed a four year, $21 million contract with the Niners in March, making him the highest paid fullback in NFL history.

Exceptional 4/23 pro football names:
- Fungy Lebengood, halfback for the Pottsville Maroons in 1925.
- Jack Bighead, DE/TE for Colts and Rams (and movie/tv actor).
- Edwin Lovelady, 'replacement' WR in 1987.
- Ken Logenecher, Steeler DT/T in 1960.
- Uwe Von Schamann, 61; Dolphin K, 1979-84.

Other NFL notables born today:
- Sam Madison, 43; four-time Pro Bowl CB with Miami.
- Joe Ferguson, 67; QB played 17 seasons and led NFL in passing yards in 1977.
I played against schwedes son Scott in high school. He went on the SU and was a first round bust by the fins. Tiny guy but lightning quick.
Also played against tim green who went to su abc was a 1st rounder and he was an absolute beast in high school.
My other patriot connection was bob gladieux was one of my college coaches.

- Fungy Lebengood, halfback for the Pottsville Maroons in 1925
128px-Pottsville_Maroons.png
th
th
pottsville_paper3.jpg

Pottsville Maroons still missing trophy

Rendell was furious, rattling off a letter to NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, calling the team owners “cowardly barons” who lacked “cojones.”

How true. Guess Pats aren't the only team Tagliaboob hated.

"The Pottsville Maroons were the most ferocious and most respected players I have ever faced. You know, I always believed the Maroons won the NFL championship in 1925 ... but were robbed of the honor."

Red Grange, Pro Football Hall of Famer with the New York Yankees (NFL) and the Chicago Bears in 1954

Only one Patriot born April 24.

Jim Massey, 69 (4/24/1948)
Patriot CB, 1974-75
Uniform #47
Massey had an unusual path to the NFL. He went to tiny Neah-Kah-Nie High School (enrollment of 230 students) on the north Oregon coast. He enrolled at the University of Oregon but felt out of place at such a comparatively large school. Massey transferred to Linfield College, which was an NAIA school (now Division III). He rushed for 1,709 yards and scored 21 touchdowns, earning the nickname "The Mule" for his toughness.

The Rams drafted Massey in the tenth round (251st overall) but he was cut after the sixth preseason game. He spent one season with the CFL's BC Lions and then signed with the Patriots in April of 1974. He played in one game but then went on IR with an ankle injury. Massey was a standout on special teams, playing in all 14 games in 1975 with one start. He missed all of '76 with another injury and retired in 1977. After returning to school to get his masters, Massey worked as a data processing manager.

Linfield Wildcats Hall of Fame member Jim Massey

Wildcatville: Jim Massey's NFL experience

April 24, 2012: the Patriots officially placed 33 year old LT Matt Light on the reserve/retired list. Light played his entire pro football career with the Patriots after the team selected him in the second round of the 2001 draft, serving as quarterback Tom Brady's blindside protector. Light was a first-team All-Pro in 2007 and a member of the AFC Pro Bowl team in 2006 and '07. He played his college football at Purdue, where he was left tackle for another future Hall of Fame quarterback: Drew Brees.

One player with New England area ties:

Mike Esposito, 64 (4/24/1953)
Esposito was born in Everett and grew up in Wilmington. He went to Boston College and set school records for single season rushing yards, career rushing yards and touchdowns. The Falcons drafted Esposito in the 7th round (159th overall) in 1975. He played for the Falcons until 1978, primarily on special teams and as a fullback, appearing in 42 games with two touchdowns.

A photo taken at a hospital prior to the 1974 East-West Shrine Game is still used today as the game's official logo.

east-west.jpg

Michael Esposito - Boston College Athletics, Varsity Club Hall of Fame

Ex-Wilmington High football star's invention is on the level | Lowell Sun

Other notable NFL players born today:
- 'Iron Mike' Michalske; first guard elected to Pro Football Hall of Fame.
- Carroll Dale; Pro Bowl WR won two rings in first two Superbowls.
- Bob Chandler; Bills/Raiders WR from '71-'82 scored 48 touchdowns.
- Vince Ferragamo; QB almost led Rams to upset over Steelers in SB 14.

He spent one season with the CFL's BC Lions and then signed with the Patriots in April of 1974
Chuck found a lot of hidden gems in the CFL and brought them here, including Mack Herron.

A few April 25 birthdays, but first:

April 25, 1993:
Thanks to a strength of schedule tiebreaker (and blowing a winnable final game of the 1992 season), the Patriots have the first pick in the 1995 draft rather than Seattle. Dodging a bullet the Pats select Drew Bledsoe rather than Rick Mirer.

Bill Brown, 4/25/1936-4/18/1989 (52)
Patriot LB, 1960
Uniform #54
Brown went to the University of Bridgeport and then transferred to Syracuse where he graduated in 1958. He was the defensive captain for the Orange, who were a top ten team back then. Brown was a middle linebacker for the Patriots in 1960, appearing in all 14 games. He then became a high school football coach on Long Island, with his teams finishing undefeated four times. After that Brown served on the coaching staffs at C.W. Post and Hofstra University, before dying from cancer at age 52.

Markus Zusevics, 28 (4/25/1989)
Patriot OL, 2012-13
Uniform #66
At the 2012 combine Zusevics tore a pectoral muscle while participating in the bench press, and as a result went undrafted. In May the Patriots signed him and he began the year on the reserve/non-football injury list. He was later added to the 53-man roster due to injuries on the offensive line, but never appeared in a regular-season game with the team. At the end of training camp in 2013 Zusevics landed on IR due to another pec injury, and was waived in March of 2014. The Jets signed him in May after a tryout during their rookie minicamp. He was released near the end of their training camp and has not been with another team since then.

Corwin Brown, 47 (4/25/1970)
Patriots SS, 1993-96
Patriot DB coach, 2010
Uniform #30
The Patriots selected in the 4th round (110th overall) out of Michigan in the 1993 draft. He started 12 games as a rookie but served mostly as a backup and on special teams the following three seasons. In four years with the Patriots he played in 61 games with 14 starts, making 91 tackles with three fumble recoveries. In '97 Brown followed Parcells to the Jets, and then spent 1999-200 in Detroit.

The following year Brown reunited with former Patriot coach Al Groh, as the special teams coach at the University of Virginia. He later spent three seasons as the defensive backs coach for the Jets, and then was the DC for Charlie Weis at Notre Dame. In 2010 Bill Belichick hired Brown as a defensive backs coach but he lasted only one season. Reportedly Brown "just wasn't a good coach".

Things went south for Brown after that. In 2011 a SWAT team was called in after neighbors reported a domestic disturbance and authorities heard gunfire. Corwin - who may have suffered from brain trauma - was hospitalized with a self inflicted gun wound and in 2012 he was sentenced to a suspended four-year sentence for hitting his wife, and pleading guilty but mentally ill to felony confinement and domestic battery.

Jacob Bender, 32 (4/25/1985)
Patriot OT, 2008
Bender never appeared in any games for the Patriots, but was on their practice squad in 2008 from September 1 to November 19. He was a 6th round draft pick by the Jets, and the Pats picked him up after final roster cuts. San Francisco signed Bender to their roster off New England's practice squad, then waived him just before the start of the 2009 season. He also spent time with the Giants, New Orleans, Washington and Carolina, but appeared in only two NFL games.

One player with New England roots born today:
Dave Rozumek, 63 (4/25/1954)
Rozumek was born and raised in Lawrence, and he is one of ten players from the University of New Hampshire that went on to become a starter in the NFL for at least one season. The Chiefs selected Rozumek in the 15th round (415th overall) in the 1976 draft. He started all 16 games at inside linebacker for Kansas City in 1978, and appeared in 45 games overall with the Chiefs from 1976-79. After a career-ending shoulder injury he returned to New England, as head coach at Salem (NH) High School. In 1985 Rozumek was one of a group of four people to split the winnings of a $5.3 million Megabucks jackpot.

Other notable NFL players born today:
- Art Schlichter, 57; #4 overall pick by the Colts in 1982 was one of the biggest draft busts in NFL history and more well known for his gambling addiction and conviction for fraud.
- Randy Cross, 63; 3-time Pro Bowl guard for Niners and NFL broadcaster.
- Darren Woodson, 48; five-time Pro Bowl safety for Dallas.
- Eddie Edwards, 63; DL started 164 games for Cincinnati.
- DeAngelo Williams, 34; Steeler RB is still miffed the Patriots drafted Laurence Maroney rather than himself.

And a few cool football names born today:
- John Stonebraker; end for Packers in 1942.
- Thron Riggs; OT for Boston Yanks in 1944 and former mayor of Sedona AZ.
- Keaton Kristik; 49er LB now part of Nebraska's coaching staff.

Commemorating Steve Nelson, Julius Adams, Mosi Tatupu on 4/26

April 26 is a mega-birthday date in New England Patriots history. On this date Pats legends Julius Adams, Steve Nelson and Mosi Tatupu were born.

Steve Nelson, 66 (4/26/1951)
Patriot left side inside linebacker, 1974-1987
Uniform #57 (retired)
Even though Nelson was inducted into the Patriots Hall of Fame way back in 1993, he may be one of the Pats and pro footballs most overlooked players. Had Ben Dreith not robbed the Patriots of a 1976 Lombardi trophy (or Billy Sullivan's cheapness derailed a multi-year run), Nelson would be far more well known by football fans across the country. Including the playoffs he started 178 games for the Patriots, with an appropriate 1776 tackles.

Meddlesome Man in the Middle: Few people outside of Foxboro, Mass. have heard of Steve Nelson, the Patriots' inside linebacker, but he may be the best in the NFL | Sports Illustrated, 1978

Patriots HOFer Steve Nelson Interview (2012)

Julius Adams (4/26/1948-3/24/2016)
Patriot right side defensive end, 1971-1987
Uniform #85
Other than Raymond Clayborn, nobody other than Adams is more deserving of induction into the Patriots Hall of Fame. Similar to Nelson, Adams suffers from national recognition due to no fault of his own, his team never won a Superbowl. He spent his entire career with the Pats, playing in a total of 212 games.

Mosi Tatupu (4/26/1955-2/23/2010)
Patriot special team ace and running back, 1978-1990
Uniform #30
The Samoan RB/FB had his best game in the historic Squish the Fish game. Tatupu memorably placed a bone jarring hit on a Miami kick returner, causing a fumble that led to a Patriot touchdown. Later in the second half Tatupu bulled his way in for a touchdown that essentially clinched the victory, which put the Patriots in their first ever Superbowl. Sadly he died far too young, probably from CTE that came about from his selflessly reckless style of play.

Rod Shoate, 47 (4/26/1953-10/4/1999)
Patriot right side outside linebacker, 1975-1981
Uniform #56
Shoate played for Chuck Fairbanks at Oklahoma, and the two reunite in Foxboro. He was a good starter for four seasons but things badly unraveled after an injury that led to the end of his career and then a fatal downward spiral.

Sealver Siliga, 27 (4/26/1990)
Patriot defensive tackle, 2013-2015
Uniform #71 and #96
The Pats signed Siliga to their practice squad in October of 2013, and he later started four games that year. In three seasons he appeared in 25 regular season games with 13 starts. Siliga also played in seven Patriot playoff games, including a start in Superbowl 49. He is now signed with Tampa Bay.

Tim Jordan, 53 (4/26/1964)
Patriot outside linebacker, 1987-1989
Uniform #93
The Patriots drafted Jordan in the fourth round (107th overall) in 1987. He started ten games when Andre Tippett was injured, appearing in 30 games over three seasons with the Pats.

Bob McCall, 67 (4/26/1950)
Patriot RB, 1973
Uniform #24
Appeared in eight games with one start in Chuck Fairbanks first season as Pats HC.

Jeff Paulk, 41 (4/26/1976)
Patriot FB, 2000
Uniform #46
A third round pick by Atlanta in 1999, Paulk barely had a cup of coffee in the NFL. He played in one game in Bill Belichick's first season as head coach in Foxboro and is now a firefighter back in his native Arizona.

Thomas Clayton, 33 (4/26/1984)
Patriot RB, 2010
Uniform #22
Clayton was signed and released three times by the Patriots in 2010, bouncing back and forth between the Pats and the Browns. His only appearance with New England was in the final game of the 2010 season when he had six carries in a 38-7 victory over Miami.

Corey Hilliard, 32 (4/26/1985)
Patriots 6th round 2007 draft pick (209th overall)
The offensive tackle from Oklahoma State did not make the roster, cut on September 1. From 2007-14 he appeared in 42 games with the Colts and Lions.

Phil Olsen, 69 (4/26/1948)
Patriots 1st round 1970 draft pick (4th overall)
Never as good as older brother Merlin, Phil refused to play for the Patriots. In some ways I can't blame him, but who the hell was he to think that way? After the draft Olsen suffered a knee injury getting ready for the College All-Star Game. After he sat out his rookie season due to the injury, his contract became void because of a loophole in his contract regarding an option clause. He was picked up by the Rams, who gave the Patriots their first-round pick the following year.

Also, with New England roots:
Damik Scafe, 29
The defensive end is a native of Windsor CT and went to Boston College. Scafe was with the San Diego Chargers from 2011-14, appearing in two games in 2012.

April 26, 2012:
The Patriots trade their 27th (1st round) pick and 93rd (3rd round) pick to the Cincinnati Bengals for the 21st (1st round) pick, and draft Syracuse DE Chandler Jones. (With the 27th pick the Bengals select Wisconsin G Kevin Zeitler and Clemson DT Brandon Thompson with the 93rd pick).

April 26, 2012:
The Patriots trade their 31st (1st round) pick and 126th (4th round) pick to the Denver Broncos for the 25th (1st round) pick, and draft Alabama LB Dont’a Hightower. (That 31st pick gets traded to Tampa Bay, who drafts Boise State RB Doug Martin; 4.126 gets traded to Tampa Bay and then to Houston, who drafts Nebraska DE Jared Crick).

Nice memories or all, Julius Adams will forever stick in my mind as he was a guy who toiled for years in the trenches.. he made the probowl once, but probably deserved it more but that stuff happens when you are on crappy teams..

Low maintenance guy, we never knew much about, but he was always there doing his job.

Julius Adams (4/26/1948-3/24/2016)
Patriot right side defensive end, 1971-1987
Uniform #85
Other than Raymond Clayborn, nobody other than Adams is more deserving of induction into the Patriots Hall of Fame. Similar to Nelson, Adams suffers from national recognition due to no fault of his own, his team never won a Superbowl. He spent his entire career with the Pats, playing in a total of 212 games.

Mosi Tatupu (4/26/1955-2/23/2010)
Patriot special team ace and running back, 1978-1990
Uniform #30
The Samoan RB/FB had his best game in the historic Squish the Fish game. Tatupu memorably placed a bone jarring hit on a Miami kick returner, causing a fumble that led to a Patriot touchdown. Later in the second half Tatupu bulled his way in for a touchdown that essentially clinched the victory, which put the Patriots in their first ever Superbowl. Sadly he died far too young, probably from CTE that came about from his selflessly reckless style of play.
It's really special that four teammates like this: Nellie, Juli, Mosi and Rod share this birthday. And they are all special people and players that will forever instill pride in New Englanders. When I think of the Packers, I think of championship games vs. the Cowboys in the sixties. When I think of the Steelers, I think of the Noll teams of the seventies.

When I think of the Pats, as much as our roots in the sixties are irreplaceable in our memories, it's these guys of the seventies who represent everything this franchise is about. Nellie is simply the Merlin Olson of linebackers in NFL history. It was appropriate to have him introduce the playoff in LA in January of '86: "We want to say hi everyone back home in Boston, and we're ready to play today!" Later that day, it was Mosi, playing on his USC home field, who knocked the ball out of Sam Seale's hands for the winning touchdown. Rod was another in the seemingly endless list of great players Chuck Fairbanks found, and wasn't the only one Chuck brought here from his old Sooners-hey, we had the best team in the league in '76, of course we were loaded with stars.

There aren't sufficient words to acknowledge Juli. He didn't talk a lot, to the press anyway. He didn't brag. He always carried himself like a champion. He set the example for everyone in the organization. Everyone looked up to him. It was clear to me in 1975, when he was already a five-year veteran, that he represented the franchise, and the best in young American professional athletes. He didn't have to say a word, for you to know he was 100% a Patriot and took a back seat to no one. At the 2005 Super Bowl, when he stated that "I'll always be loyal to the Patriots" it was the most resounding statement of the obvious since George Washington declared, "I have no other view than to promote the public good, and am unambitious of honors not founded in the approbation of my Country."

It's not measured in Pro Bowl appearances or rings or stats, but in terms of honor, leadership and example, Juli will always be my #1 all-time Patriot, the man most responsible for my pride in being a fan of the New England Patriots.

birthday date in New England Patriots history
Happy Birthday, Don "Corky" Calhoun, 65 (4/29/1952)
Patriots FB, 1975-1981
Uniform #44
Yet another K-State alum who made a big contribution here, 'Houn was a role player who made it a starring role when he got the chance.
th
th

Don's versatility as a blocker and receiver as well as rushing made him a big value player in his era; and his ability was appreciated by players and coaches alike.

OT: Clemens struck out 20 31 years ago tonight

OT: Clemens struck out 20 31 years ago tonight

He was stuck in traffic on the way to Fenway that night, and got out of the car to grab his stuff from the trunk - wishing anything but facing the wrath of manager John McNamara - was ready to run the rest of the way, until a cop showed up and helped him make it to his start.

The '86 season is filled with a seemingly endless number of stories and memories, and that it all unraveled at the very end doesn't change that fact.

Dave Henderson, one of the Mariners on this night, would become one of the greatest - and underappreciated - folk heroes in Boston sports history by October.
th
th
th
th
th
Nice uniform...

He was stuck in traffic on the way to Fenway that night, and got out of the car to grab his stuff from the trunk - wishing anything but facing the wrath of manager John McNamara - was ready to run the rest of the way, until a cop showed up and helped him make it to his start.

The '86 season is filled with a seemingly endless number of stories and memories, and that it all unraveled at the very end doesn't change that fact.

Dave Henderson, one of the Mariners on this night, would become one of the greatest - and underappreciated - folk heroes in Boston sports history by October.
th
th
th
th
th
Nice uniform...

Next to 2004 that was my favorite Red Sox season.

April birthdays we have
Dave Meggett, 51 (April 30, 1966)
Patriot RB/KR, 1995-1997
Uniform #22
Dave was an outstanding NFL and Patriots player who had his best season in '96, recording 1,966 all-purpose yards, earning his second trip to the Pro Bowl, and helping us make it to Super Bowl XXXI. Of his 14,005 all-purpose yards, his 3,708 punt return yards are currently the second most in NFL history. He also completed four of eight passes for 114 yards and four touchdowns.
th
Sadly, after retiring he was involved in two assault cases, and is currently serving a 30-year prison sentence for burglary and criminal sexual conduct. Tragic, for a former Walter Payton Award winner (1988).

On a lighter note, John Denvir (born 4/30/1938) played left guard in the AFL for, yes, the Broncos, wearing #65, in 1962.

I think it's just stupid for the Pats, or any team, not to come out and practice in the higher altitude for the week leading up to a game there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates @Actual Pats Fan - I'll see if I can get caught up today.

April 27 had several birthdays, but it was a major letdown after the 26th.

Rabih Abdullah, 42 (4/27/1975)
Patriot RB, 2004
Uniform #27
Abdullah was undrafted out of Lehigh, but made Tampa Bay's 1998 roster after rushing for 280 yards and two TD in the preseason. He appeared in 83 NFL games and was a special teams standout, registering 90 career ST tackles. The Patriots signed Abdullah on September 11, 2004 and was active for seven of the next eight games before being waived on Nov. 22. The Pats resigned him a month later, and he earned a ring in Super Bowl 39. Unfortunately he has had some legal troubles in his post-NFL life, with a DUI in 2004, a 2006 arrest for DUI, gun and marijuana, and a 2008 charge for driving on a suspended license.

Mike Kerrigan, 57 (4/27/1960)
Patriot QB, 1982-1984
Uniform #19
Kerrigan was a three-year starter at Northwestern, and at the time ranked second as their all-time leading passer. The Pats signed him as an undrafted rookie in 1982, but after a preseason concussion he spent the year on IR. Kerrigan saw very little playing time, backing up Steve Grogan and Tony Eason on Ron Meyer's 1983 team and Meyer/Raymond Berry's 1984 club.

John Hughes, 29 (4/27/1988)
Patriot DT, 2016
Uniform #94
Don't feel bad if you don't remember Hughes. He was one of several Cleveland Browns the Pats have recently attempted to rehabilitate, but he lasted only four days. The 1987 third round pick was signed on September 27 after the release of DT Anthony Johnson, and then cut to make room for TE Greg Scruggs. Hughes spent most of last year with Tampa Bay, and is now a free agent.

Ricky Williams, 57 (4/27/1960)
Patriot CB, 1983
The Pats drafted this Ricky Williams in the ninth round of the 1983 draft, 233rd overall, out of Langston (Oklahoma) University. He never played for the Pats but did appear in three games for the Raiders between 1985-87.

Lee Roy Jordan, 76 (4/27/1941)
Patriot 2nd round draft pick (14th overall) in the 1961 draft.
Another draft pick head scratcher. There was no way the Alabama star was going to sign with the AFL, so why waste such an early pick? Jordan was the sixth overall pick in the NFL draft; he went on to become a 14-year starter with the Cowboys and was named to five Pro Bowls at middle linebacker.

April 27, 2012: not the greatest of draft days in Patriot history.

In the second round with the 48th overall pick, the Patriots draft Illinois S Tavon Wilson.

Patriots trade 2.62 to Green Bay for 3.90 and 5.163. (The Packers select Vanderbilt CB Casey Hayward with that pick).

In the 3rd round with the 90th overall pick, the Patriots draft Arkansas DE Jake Bequette.

Other NFL players with New England ties:

Ethan Brooks, 45 (4/27/1972)
Brooks was born in Hartford, raised in Simsbury and is a graduate of prestigious Williams College in Amherst. The Falcons selected Brooks in the 7th round of the 1996 draft, and Atlanta converted him from DT to OT. Over nine years Brooks played with the Falcons, Rams, Cardinals, Ravens and Cowboys, appearing in 76 games with 26 starts. He now works as a strength and conditioning coach at Williams.

Emmett Cleary, 27 (4/27/1990)
The offensive tackle was a BC Eagle, graduating in 2012. Over the next two years he spent offseasons with the Colts and Raiders, and was on the practice squad for the Bucs and Bengals. Cleary signed with the Giants in 2015, finally making it to an active roster in November. Last year he signed with Dallas and appeared in 14 games, mostly on special teams.

Greg Meehan, 54 (4/27/1963)
Meehan's New England roots are very minimal: he was born at Otis Air Force Base. The wide receiver from Bowling Green signed with San Diego after going undrafted, but was cut during training camp. Meehan started three games in 1987 for Cincinnati as one of the replacement players. Meehan is now the Vice President and General Manager of the Continuous Glucose Monitoring business at Medtronic Diabetes, a global medical technology device company.

Other notable NFL players born 4/27:
- Donald Penn; Raiders LT has been to two Pro Bowls and started 156 NFL games.
- Herm Edwards; before he was television analyst, before he was a coach, he was in the right place at the right time in the Miracle at the Meadowlands.
- Perry Schwartz; perennial All Pro/Pro Bowl end prior to WWII, twice led the NFL in yards per reception.
- Nick 'Bulldog' McInereny; spent eight seasons in the 1920s with the Chicago Cardinals at center, end, fullback, tackle and guard.

Best NFL name born 4/27:
Rocky Rasley, NFL guard 1969-1976.

Congratulation if you remember any of these former Patriots that were born on April 28:

Christian Morton, 36 (4/28/1981)
Patriot CB, 2004
Uniform #25
Staring in 2004 many Bill Belichick detractors shouted that BB was incapable assessing defensive backs, and Morton was part of that initial draft class. He was a very late (7th round, 233rd overall) pick in the 2004 draft (the last selection prior to supplemental picks), but Morton got lumped in with safeties Guss Scott and Dexter Reid as evidence that Belichick was a horrible GM by the naysayers. Morton never played a single down for the Pats other than in the preseason; the Pats cut him after training camp on September 5. From 2004 to 2009 he bounced around the league between Cleveland, Atlanta (twice), Washington (twice), Carolina, Denver and Tennessee. Morton appeared in a total of 14 NFL games with one pick, four passes defensed and one fumble recovery.

Ken Hartley, 60 (4/8/1957)
Patriot P, 1981
Uniform #7
Hartley actually qualifies for April 28 twice, since he went to King Philip High School in Wrentham. In Ron Erhardt's final season as head coach for the Patriots the team had plenty of positions that needed an upgrade, and punter was no exception. The season began with Mike Hubuch handling the duties, but after five games and a 38.2 yard average he was let go. Things got worse with Hartley, who lasted only two weeks. In his first game a partially blocked punt led to a Jets touchdown and then in his final game against the Saints he punted for 50 yards - not an average, but a total for his two punts. In total Hartley had nine punts for 266 yards and a long of 41, averaging 29.6 yards per punt. He was replaced by Rich Camarillo, who brought stability and competence to the position over the next seven seasons.

Philip Clark, 72 (4/28/1945)
Patriot S, 1971
Uniform #22
Clark is the answer to a trivia question regarding what may have been the worst trade in the history of the Pats franchise. On October 1, 1971 the Patriots traded RB Rocky Bleier to Pittsburgh for Clark, who had been benched as starter with both Dallas and Chicago in the previous two seasons. From Donald Hubbard's book, 100 Things Patriots Fans Should Know and Do Before They Die: Dynasty Edition, there is this explanation:

A Loyal Soldier
One of the Patriots' worst trades may be their most obscure one. On October 1, 1971, they traded former Pittsburgh Steelers RB Rocky Bleier back to Pittsburgh for safety Phil Clark. Bleier, a rare modern professional athlete who fought in the Vietnam War, returned badly wounded from that conflict. As a Steeler, he gained thousands of yards and helped lead fellow back Franco Harris to even more. Clark played two games for the Patriots as his career ended that fall. Most likely the trade constituted a favor to Steelers owner Dan Rooney, who wanted to keep Bleier on the roster while he recovered from his war wounds.​

Clark is now employed in the health field, focusing on non-traditional wellness.

April 28, 2012:
The Patriots trade 5.163 back to Green Bay, in exchange for picks 7.224 and 7.235. (The Packers take North Carolina State OLB Terrell Manning with the pick).

In the 6th round with the 197th overall pick, the Patriots draft Ohio State safety and rugby player Nate Ebner.

In the 7th round with the 224th pick, the Patriots draft Nebraska CB Alfonzo Dennard.

In the 7th round with the 235th pick, the Patriots draft Northwestern WR Jeremy Ebert.

Post-draft the Patriots sign some undrafted rookie free agents:
- Jeremiah Warren, an offensive lineman from South Florida.
- Markus Zusevics, an offensive lineman from Iowa.
- Brad Herman, a tight end from Iowa.

One other NFL player with New England roots born on April 28:

Mark Bavaro, 54 (4/28/1963)
Two-time All Pro tight end was born in Boston and grew up in Danvers. according to Bill Belichick, Bavaro belongs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Other notable NFL players born 4/28:
- Scott Fujita (38); LB started 125 NFL games but is more well known for taking on Roger Goodell and having his bountygate suspension vacated.
- Jamal Williams (41), three-time Pro Bowl DT for San Diego Chargers.
- Earl Holmes (44); LB started 131 games with Pittsburgh, Detroit and Cleveland from 1996-2005.
- Tony Peters (45); SS had 16 picks for Cleveland and Washington 1975-85.
- Mark Carrier (49); 3-time Pro Bowl safety for Chicago in the 90s.
- Pete Stoyanovich (50); former Dolphin kicker played in 182 games.

Best NFL names born 4/28:
- Earthquake Enyart, Bills RB 1969-70
- Hoot Flanagan, TB for the Pottsville Maroons in the '20s.
- James Thrash, Washington/Philadelphia WR 1997-2008.
- Jim Blumenstock, Giants FB in 1947.
- Petey Perot, Eagles/Saints guard 1979-85.
- Wilson Whitley, Bengals NT 1977-82.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back