PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tiquan released; Ocho active?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For one thing, the special teams have been completely fine up to this point, completely fine. One PS player isn't going to mean squat in this football game. What could mean something serious is Tiquan spilling his guts all over the place to some boys in the Rutgers area with Giant contacts. Not to mention, how can you do this to a kid like that right before this game ? I mean really, all of this for a PS squad ST player?, are you sh*ting me?

All this? Foolish conspiracy theory aside, we simply made a roster transaction.
Tomorrow we are going to deactivate 8 players, do we need to write them a letter of apology? Should we go back and apologize to every player we cut because its unfair that we thought someone else was better?
Should Silvestro not get the chance he has earned to play in the SB because it would be nicer for Underwood to be inactive and on the roster than inactive and cut?
I mean, I just don't get what all the *****ing is for.

The thought that AS will take Gronk's spot on ST a makes a lot of sense, as well as having another player for the DL think back the the SB with the Panthers and guys cramping in the 4th qtr. He was just more valuable for the roster in this game than T Underwood.

Ray McDonald whose a pretty average player looked like Warren Sapp in the NFCCG. BB might want a quicker guy inside. I believe AS will play a little nickel DT they used Fletcher and Anderson a little inside the last two games. AS isz a little bigger better fit; keep Anderson on the edge.

AS must be playing makes no sense otherwise, so who are the inactives ?

For one thing, the special teams have been completely fine up to this point, completely fine. One PS player isn't going to mean squat in this football game. What could mean something serious is Tiquan spilling his guts all over the place to some boys in the Rutgers area with Giant contacts. Not to mention, how can you do this to a kid like that right before this game ? I mean really, all of this for a PS squad ST player?, are you sh*ting me?

They were NOT fine against the Giants though.

See this post.

The Pats ST and offense gave up 399 yards of field position against the Giants in game 1. The defense gave up 438 so ST and O matched them up for a total of 837 yards vs Giants 465 yards. 222 of those yards came from special teams.

So yes while the Pats special teams are #2 in the league overall, they clearly didn't match up very well against Giants special teams. This news gives that analysis even more credence and backs that up.

PS: Bill is aware of that problem. He knows. He thought of it too, I assure you. He's obviously not worried about it. Tiquan doesn't know jack squat about the Pats strategy going into the game. Only Bill and the coaches do. And maybe Tom, but not all of it.

Why do this now? I mean the guy went to Rutgers right? He's in the heart of Giant territory, who's to stop him from texting a buddy or making a phone call to start spilling the beans to some Giant contacts/buddies on the Pats game plan?

Why even take the chance?

They must know something you don't, like Tiquan isn't into committing career suicide... The Giants have had multiple cracks at Tiquan and never pulled the trigger. Nor did 30 other teams. He's not stupid enough to bite the only hand that has fed him in the last year... Nobody is going to claim him even on Monday...he knows that. His best chance to make a roster next year is on the team that just cut him to promote a DL for one game...

By Mike Reiss 8:43 PM ET
INDIANAPOLIS -- A few thoughts on the release of receiver Tiquan Underwood and the promotion of defensive lineman Alex Silvestro:

1. This seems harsh to Underwood, who by most accounts is a great kid.
At the same time, the move is consistent with how the Patriots have managed their roster all year, making a lot of moves the day before a game based on needs for that contest.

2. Underwood should be back in 2012, if he wants. This is not a disciplinary based decision, according to a source. The team likes him. Underwood has been the team's third, fourth or fifth receiver this year and has played sparingly.

3. Wouldn't be surprised if this is special teams based for this game.
Injured tight end Rob Gronkowski plays in the wedge on special teams and the team might want to lessen his load there, given his high ankle sprain, and Silvestro can step in.

4. This should mean Chad Ochocinco is active.

5. In a longer than normal game, one that is also played indoors, keeping players fresh figures to be important. Silvestro adds depth as part of a possible rotation.

TiUnderwood Tiquan Underwood
THANK YOU To Everyone Supporting/Wishing Me Well (Fam,Friends,Ppl Who Dont Kno Me Personally) To Those Happy About What Happen...God Bless U
3 minutes ago

TQ, keepin it classy. Good kid.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised. Watch for Ocho to get more reps. He may very well be a big factor in the game. Reid's buried the lead on purpose.

I feel bad for the guy, but his cut is insignificant to the offense. The guy has caught three passes all year and not one since the first Denver game. If Ocho plays and doesn't catch a ball, he more than adequately replaced any production or lack there of by Underwood. Underwood is more of a fan favorite than a producer.

I'm sure the Pats will let him either watch the game on the sidelines or in the team booth. It sucks that he was cut on the eve of the Super Bowl, but he was likely to be in street clothes either way.

Last edited:
Re: Tiquan released

On the eve of a superbowl...ouch. I hope this doesn't mean a DE is under the weather...

My concern too.

More generally, it suggests that some other Front 7 player is likely to be inactive.

Either that, or BB wants to use a very deep rotation ...

I'm sure it means a world of difference to Tiquan. Even if he only played one snap in the SB he'd be able to tell his grandkids that the played in the SB with one of the all time great QB's.

Now his story will be, I got cut the day before the SB and didn't play in it at all after practicing with the team all week.

I sort of get the football logic behind it....maybe...but cutting a guy the day before the actual game is extremely harsh (unless he did something to warrant getting cut that is. e.g.- screwing up badly in practice).

Cut vs. inactive needn't be that big of a difference.

And there I was thinking that they'd signed Randy Moss ... :rolleyes:

Actually can you imagine if BB signed Moss the week of the SB? I'm not saying to play him. Just make the Giants think about it. The media reaction would have been awesome!!!! First Josh then Randy, LOL.

Why are you coming back for a ring?

Hell no, straight cash homey.

Does that, by rule, cost him his $88,000 SB share?

Good question.

In most sports, the players vote on who does or doesn't get a share.

enter the secret weapon, Ocho F'n Cinco. The whole season, the genius BB has not thrown to Ocho, playing up the story that he does not know the playbook...now, we will find out it was all a ploy. Ocho WILL come up huge in the Super Bowl as the Giant wont pay any attention to him. When they finally catch on to the grand sceme, it will be too late.

Super Bowl MVP = Ocho Cinco. You heard it here first

On the eve of a superbowl...ouch. I hope this doesn't mean a DE is under the weather...

I don't know if that is a real concern. Belichick does know that in a dome with a longer halftime and a longer pregame where the players are on the field, the defense will get worn down by the end of the game. I think he wants extra guys on the d-line to keep people fresh especially if the Giants decide to do an up tempo offense themselves.

For one thing, the special teams have been completely fine up to this point, completely fine. One PS player isn't going to mean squat in this football game. What could mean something serious is Tiquan spilling his guts all over the place to some boys in the Rutgers area with Giant contacts.

So you're saying Tiquan's a scumbag? Something tells me he's a class act, which is how he got on the Pats to begin with. Only a scumbag would think of something like that.

Well, present company excluded, of course.

My concern too.

More generally, it suggests that some other Front 7 player is likely to be inactive.

Either that, or BB wants to use a very deep rotation ...
increased pass rush = less pressure on the secondary to cover Nicruzingham.

I can't believe after 190 posts that noone has asked the question:

WHO IS SICK???

I mean is there a chance this isnt just a st, rotation depth issue and some other starter cant go?

Hm, so if this was all planned ahead of time why is he bummed out?

"Tiquan, I have two pieces of news for you you're not going to like. First, although we appreciate all your hard work, you're not going to be active for the game.

Second, we're actually going to cut you. We want you with us competing for a roster spot next season, but right now we had to cut somebody from the 53, and the way the contract technicalities work, it turned out to be you."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents