PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thursday Night: Seagulls vs WILD PANTHERS (Philly at Carolina)

The easy fix would be to add an additional bye week to the schedule and use it before the TNF games.

Another suggestion I heard a caller make to a sports radio show was to make the TNF game the last game of the week instead of the first game. So a team would skip the Sunday game and play it on Thursday essentially giving them two 10 day breaks . Not sure how that would look on the schedule. Opening day weekend would have two teams not playing on Sunday.

A second BYE week is the easiest solution for everything. Adds another week of ratings for the league, more rest for the players and can act as a buffer for TNF, MNF or London & co. games. Everybody wins.

I think both OL looked terrible at times in pass protection which if you have barely time to prepare is not unexpected I guess.

And I thought the pass rushes (and the Eagles' run D) looked great.

Eagles are a top 3 team in the NFL right now. They dont have a bad unit, either in Offence nor in Defence and Wentz doesnt make dumb decisions, even though i feel like he has a somewhat limited arm.

Still, they seem like one of the best teams in the NFL, next to KC

Because the Eagles are good, I wont take too much away from the Panthers, but I dont buy the Cam hype yet.

Yesterday he looked like the non-2015 version: Poor decision making, his legs bail his ineptitude

Honestly, I was kind of pulling for the Panthers last night, but I'm still disheartened by a pass interference that was called on a Philly defender in the third quarter that nullified an interception (by another defender).

That was as an egregious of a call as I've seen this year. I mean, the contact with the offensive player was ticky tack at best (happens every play) but it had ZERO impact on the play. The other defender cleanly cut off the pass before it even got to the WR/CB involved in the penalty.

Again, I had no betting or fantasy implications in the game. In fact, my mild rooting interest was in favor of the team who benefited from the bad call, but I HATE HATE HATE seeing the game diminished by these bad calls.

instead of Philly getting the ball with the INT the Panthers had a 1st and 10 after the 40YARD PI. I mean, you want to talk about a huge, non sense call.......there is it.

Honestly, I was kind of pulling for the Panthers last night, but I'm still disheartened by a pass interference that was called on a Philly defender in the third quarter that nullified an interception (by another defender).

That was as an egregious of a call as I've seen this year. I mean, the contact with the offensive player was ticky tack at best (happens every play) but it had ZERO impact on the play. The other defender cleanly cut off the pass before it even got to the WR/CB involved in the penalty.

Again, I had no betting or fantasy implications in the game. In fact, my mild rooting interest was in favor of the team who benefited from the bad call, but I HATE HATE HATE seeing the game diminished by these bad calls.

instead of Philly getting the ball with the INT the Panthers had a 1st and 10 after the 40YARD PI. I mean, you want to talk about a huge, non sense call.......there is it.

Why did I watch the video again? Now I'm even more irate at how the refs are destroying a product I love so much.

Here's a good challenge.......

I DARE YOU....to skip to the 5:44 and convince me that what happened was deserving of TAKING AWAY a turnover and AWARDING 40 YARDS to the Panthers!?!?!

Why did I watch the video again? Now I'm even more irate at how the refs are destroying a product I love so much.

I DARE YOU....to skip to the 5:44 and convince me that what happened was deserving of TAKING AWAY a turnover and AWARDING 40 YARDS to the Panthers!?!?!

It was a bad call for sure. After that, it was nice to see a defense actually tighten up in the red zone, especially on those misdirection plays that everyone in the stadium knew was coming.

That PI on Jalen Mills reminded me in a way of Rodney Harrison's first INT of McNabb in SB39, during which Tedy Bruschi was Correctly not called for PI:

I think the ref sees the hand around his shoulder and assumed he's pulling the receiver away. I don't think that was the case but I think that's why it might have been called.

That PI on Jalen Mills reminded me in a way of Rodney Harrison's first INT of McNabb in SB39, during which Tedy Bruschi was Correctly not called for PI:

Oh man, I would have lost my mind if they called PI on that play.

Watched the replay and it was the usual Thursday ****show. Thanks to the NFL for this neutered product where both teams have no time to gameplan or regenerate.

Both teams looked bad with the Eagles getting the win essentially handed thanks to those Newton turnovers in the Panthers own red zone. Wentz keeps impressing and then throwing 2-3 absolutely braindead passes each game.

Handed the win. No way, Philly earned that win despite the refs

Honestly, LGB was probably one of my favorite Patriots of the last ten years, along with Jules ofcourse.

This current team, while it has all similar ingredients ( Brady, Gronk, Dola , Hightower ) its missing the flavor pretty bad.

Hopefully we can right this ship, but this team just feels off for some reason this year.

I agree with your sentiment that this year feels a bit more "off" than others (though a few seasons ago didn't we begin with Dobson as our #1 WR? That has to rank as about as 'off' a feeling as it comes :)).
Look at this thing like a chef preparing a stew (yes, I made beef stew tonight). Any dope can throw a bunch of ingredients into a pot but that don't make it good. OTOH throw those ingredients in a pot then give it enough time, attention, simmering, spicing changes here and there? Eventually, and sometimes even suddenly, it comes together and ends up damn tasty.
BB doesn't always end up creating a stew that is good enough, however, the track record strongly suggests the time/attention/changes he does throughout the season will equal a December-January team with a solidly functional 53 along with an MO for that 53 to win most of the games they play.

If that lame stew analogy doesn't help with the 'off feeling' then the ultimate mental fallback is remembering 2011. If the Patriots can be that close to winning the SB with that putrid D? All things in all aspects of life are possible :). I don't recall exact final 2011 numbers but I think the pass D gave up 300 a game and the run D gave up 110 a game (don't quote me -- that's just a best recollection). Now compare the actual D personnel, 2011 vs 2017. One now had to feel A LOT better about the 2017 D chances for being sufficiently effective.

Wentz doesnt make dumb decisions, even though i feel like he has a somewhat limited arm.

Have you even watched their games ?

He makes like 2-3 per game. It is not as egregious as Winston but he still is way too greedy at times.

Handed the win. No way, Philly earned that win despite the refs

Of course they deserved to win the game but coughing up the ball in the shadow of your own endzone twice was in the end the main difference between the two teams. And that is what I meant when I wrote that the Panthers served them the game right up.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back