PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Throw Back Thursdays: G.O.A.T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good game. Flutie was an amazing QB (and it was cool to see Bryan Cox convert a third down).

Damn that was a long time ago but still fun to watch. I had forgotten about the Fumbled spike but the whistle blew it dead bs.

Really brings back memories. The backup quarterback really kept the boat afloat for a while. I was so happy when Drew got back to the team the following September. I wonder what ever happened to that 1 hit wonder backup. Probably bald, fat, selling used cars........telling anyone who will listen about the time he backed up Drew Bledsoe. Yeah rrrrrrrrright. Was Pete Carrol still coaching the team that year or was it that other guy?.....Belhaven.....Bellevue......No Belichick....yeah that's it. I bet that sorry ass Belichick wishes he went with Huard. Ohhhh well.....fun to watch that kid playing with the big boys for those 4 or 5 games. What a thrill it must have been for him.

Last edited:
I came across this other day and thought WOW how long ago this was and how he can still do this, even better now.

Just watched this last night! A guy has been putting up some condensed games from 01. Saw the Saints game on there, too.

Really brings back memories. The backup quarterback really kept the boat afloat for a while. I was so happy when Drew got back to the team the following September. I wonder what ever happened to that 1 hit wonder backup. Probably bald, fat, selling used cars........telling anyone who will listen about the time he backed up Drew Bledsoe. Yeah rrrrrrrrright. Was Pete Carrol still coaching the team that year or was it that other guy?.....Belhaven.....Bellevue......No Belichick....yeah that's it. I bet that sorry ass Belichick wishes he went with Huard. Ohhhh well.....fun to watch that kid playing with the big boys for those 4 or 5 games. What a thrill it must have been him.

I was just happy he got a chance to play an NFL game. Loved him in college, thought he'd get a few starts, then hang around a bit until he became an insurance salesman.

His dad started an insurance agency, and Brady made a joke about being thankful he didn't have to be an insurance salesman once he got drafted in The Brady Six special, so I'm sure he would have done that instead of used cars. Well, if he hadn't gone on to be the GOAT.

Warms the ****les of my heart.. nice trip down memory lane, great way to start the day.

That kid Brady might have a future in the NFL..

Last edited:
I thought for sure this thread was going to be this picture from long ago.

tom-brady-goat.jpg

Some thoughts on what I saw that I had long forgotten.:

1. Terry Glenn was REALLY very good. Too bad that never worked out. Suspended for the year by BB, he got back only because an arbitor ruled in his favor. With little practice and he was great in this game. Then a few games later he gets booted for good. I wonder if he ever got a ring? We don't win that game without him.

2. Doug Flutie was STILL a very good QB at age 39. He made a lot of great plays that game.

3. Can you imaging the calls by the game day thread for Adam's head after he missed a short FG and extra point. Even his game winner from 43 just barely had enough legs to make it through.

Amazing how much better the kickers are over all. So much stonger and consistent now. I know they KO'ed 5 yds longer, but still most of the KO's that day just got to the 10. In those days every FG over 40 yds was suspect.

4. Greg Randell was our RT. :eek:

5. Interesting seeing Rodney and Junior playing for the other side.

6. Wiggy getting a TD on his only catch of the game. In fact it was the only throw to a TE that entire game. How things have changed

7. How poised Brady was under some hard pressure.

8. It's easy to forget that the Pats were 1-3 exactly where most people expected them to be. The back up QB is coming off a game he threw for 86 yds, and they were playing a 3-1 team who should have been 4-0. Amazing how things changed for b0th teams after this OT game.

We don't win that game without him.

I always think about Glenn. Without him they don't get these wins and maybe don't make the playoffs. He was so key for a short time that season and is now mostly forgotten.

Is it fair to say that Terry Glenn was the original "Jamie Collins" of the BB era? He was the first big name guy to get in BB's doghouse.

Some thoughts on what I saw that I had long forgotten.:

6. Wiggy getting a TD on his only catch of the game. In fact it was the only throw to a TE that entire game. How things have changed

It's crazy how the offense changed over a 10 year stretch from 2001 to 2011.

We go from the TE's being nearly nonexistent in our passing offense, to them being completely relied upon while shattering records.

This was the first and only NFL game I ever attended. Became a Patriot fan that afternoon.

IIRC, Flutie got the biggest applause of anybody, despite being on the other team.

I always think about Glenn. Without him they don't get these wins and maybe don't make the playoffs. He was so key for a short time that season and is now mostly forgotten.

I've always been a big fan of wide receivers in general (just ask the guys in my keeper fantasy league), and Terry Glenn was awesome when he had his head on straight. Unfortunately for us football fans that wasn't too often.

It's crazy how the offense changed over a 10 year stretch from 2001 to 2011.

We go from the TE's being nearly nonexistent in our passing offense, to them being completely relied upon while shattering records.

And our offense went to dink and dunk/ just don't lose the game.....to consistently a top 5 offense each year.

Bill Belichick, 2nd season as Patriots head coach, 6-14 (,300).

That looks so unrealistic hahaha

I actually think that the Patriots worst-to-first 2001 season has ruined coaches around the league since it happened. After all, until teams like the Pats had quick turn arounds I'd say owners were more patient with their coaches (given them ample time to turn it around).

Looking at Brady then, I'm reminded of BB saying recently that Brady wasn't Brady for the first few years. Arm strength? Accuracy? Deep ball? Mobility? Ability to throw on the run? Not really any of the above.

So it's not surprising so many people thought he was just a place-holder for Drew's return. What did he have? Well, he didn't turn the ball over.

BB said recently that what Brady brings to the team above all is that he doesn't put them into bad plays. We can't prove it, of course, but that good decision-making -- not being a risky gunslinger -- must have been there from the start.

5. Interesting seeing Rodney and Junior playing for the other side.

7. How poised Brady was under some hard pressure.
5. Amazing we got them here later.
6. Wiggy got the job done all season - underrated, underappreciated, local kid.
7. The first real glimpse of what **** Rehbein saw in Miami.

**** Rehbein: In 20 years Tom Brady will be a household name

Finally, note that this was a showdown between two QB's with superb past/future records at Foxborough...sad that Doug had his chance at history benched by Berry (we'd already beaten the Bengals earlier in '88)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft