PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Three Dimensional Chess?

If BB is irrelevant, there is a graveyard of coaches out there. Last year, Sean McVay was 5-12. Pete Carroll was 9-8. Kyle Shanahan has 3 losing seasons in the last 5 years and no rings. Tomlin was 9-8. None of the younger guys has anywhere near a sustained record of winning.

McDermott and Beane have five years of Josh Allen and can’t make it to the SB.

So there’s Reid, who is a great coach and had Mahomes fall in his lap.

Bill makes mistakes and I think parts of his philosophy are a bit dated. He screwed up the offense last year by leaving it rudderless. But you should ask yourself: who are you replacing Bill with?

McVay is a year off a Super Bowl and everyone knew he was selling out to get it. Nobody is going to rush to blame a coach in that situation. See 2019 when most people on here were blaming Brady for the reasons of that season being mediocre and giving Bill a pass. Seattle last year was an improvement on the prior season despite losing their QB, they also made the playoffs when nobody expected them to given the situation. Carroll has also went to the playoffs more than Bill in the last 4 years. In the last 4 seasons where Belichick hasn't won a playoff game, Shanahan has been in the Super Bowl one year and the NFCCG 2 other years, last year making it despite being on the back up to the back up QB. McDermott has fielded a top 3 team in the conference 3 years in a row and there's really no shame in losing to the Chiefs in nailbiters in the playoffs twice and then the Bengals who are another elite team with top tier QB and top tier coach.

Every Patriots fan would take those outcomes since 2019 over the one we've gotten. And yeah in football that's a long time.

As to the question of who you are replacing Bill with, that's always going to be a risk. We could always do a lot worse. That said, there is a point where replacing Bill can mean different things. Replacing the Bill of 2019-present is looking very different from replacing Bill from 2001-2018. Yeah you probably can't improve on Bill at his peak. It's easy to look across the league and see lots of guys who are on par or outright better.

Bottomline, Bill needs to be better.

it's time people star realizing Bill's "Chess" was really just Brady making it work with his poor decisions....

now that we are just like any other team in the league, his decisions look downright horrible and would get most other coaches/GM's fired.

it's time people star realizing Bill's "Chess" was really just Brady making it work with his poor decisions....

now that we are just like any other team in the league, his decisions look downright horrible and would get most other coaches/GM's fired.
Rarely do you win it all in the NFL without a franchise QB.

Trent Dilfer and the Ravens were 23 years ago.

Rarely do you win it all in the NFL without a franchise QB.

Trent Dilfer and the Ravens were 23 years ago.
Nick Foles was the latest in 2017.

Brad Johnson with the 2002 Bucs was before that.

I haven't been as active as I used to be with the Belichick criticisms. This thread brought me back for a moment

I come from a time where coaches in the NYFL were fair game, just like managers in baseball and coaches in hockey and bball. I will never understand why Belichick is any different and why some Pats fans are so defensive about him.

This shouldn't be a safe space for folks to get away from a Pats discussion of any kind. It's a Pats message board and Bill's mistakes deserve to be discussed.
“I will never understand why Belichick is any different and why some Pats fans are so defensive about him.”

Sports message boards have been a guilty pleasure of mine for 20 years (incredibly embarrassing to admit, I know), and this is the dumbest comment I’ve ever read on any of them.

The patriots haven’t played chess without Brady, not sure they’re even playing a board game

Last year was closer to tiddly-winks; and their drafting closer to sitting in a pile of feces and throwing it in the air...

Say what you want about BB, but the Rams and Bucs bought Super Bowls and are paying the price today. The Rams have 74 million in dead 2023 money and the Bucs have 75 million in wasted 2023 cap dollars. You aint winning 5hit with 1/3 of the cap gone before you lace them up.

BB has managed the Pats cap like a shrewd NY bookie and has always had the Pats in contention.

McVay is a year off a Super Bowl and everyone knew he was selling out to get it. Nobody is going to rush to blame a coach in that situation. See 2019 when most people on here were blaming Brady for the reasons of that season being mediocre and giving Bill a pass. Seattle last year was an improvement on the prior season despite losing their QB, they also made the playoffs when nobody expected them to given the situation. Carroll has also went to the playoffs more than Bill in the last 4 years. In the last 4 seasons where Belichick hasn't won a playoff game, Shanahan has been in the Super Bowl one year and the NFCCG 2 other years, last year making it despite being on the back up to the back up QB. McDermott has fielded a top 3 team in the conference 3 years in a row and there's really no shame in losing to the Chiefs in nailbiters in the playoffs twice and then the Bengals who are another elite team with top tier QB and top tier coach.

Every Patriots fan would take those outcomes since 2019 over the one we've gotten. And yeah in football that's a long time.

As to the question of who you are replacing Bill with, that's always going to be a risk. We could always do a lot worse. That said, there is a point where replacing Bill can mean different things. Replacing the Bill of 2019-present is looking very different from replacing Bill from 2001-2018. Yeah you probably can't improve on Bill at his peak. It's easy to look across the league and see lots of guys who are on par or outright better.

FWIW, I wouldn't take the Rams approach even though they did win in 2019. They are doomed for years now and have an unwatchable team. I liked the Pats approach of being in it every year and not selling out. I remember being frustrated by trades that would be for next year/the future when we could have loaded up for the current season. -- but appreciating it. We played the long game, until the last few years with Brady. And now we're re-setting and it hasn't been painful. It's a competitive team -- even the Cam year was fun in its own way. signed, blind homer.

Are you running on a Bill Back Better agenda?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back