PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Three Dimensional Chess?

n6249c

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Is BB really playing 3D chess while everyone else plays checkers?

Considering how many on this board got wrapped around the axle thinking Bill was about to dump Mac and draft a QB high there’s some credibility to Rapp’s hypothesis:
“Look, Belichick has not committed to Mac Jones over the last couple of months. My read—and this is just a read on this thing—is he wanted to let people wonder was he going to take a quarterback in the draft,” said Rapoport. “They were never taking Will Levis, but they brought him into the facility for a visit.

“Maybe they wanted another team to jump over them if they wanted Levis. Maybe they wanted the team in the second round to jump over them if they wanted a quarterback. I think Bill Belichick liked the advantage of keeping teams guessing, and only after it was clear they weren’t taking a quarterback early could they say, ‘Yeah, Mac is our guy.'”

and on top of that the uncertainty was also a ploy to motivate Mac to push harder to be ready for the season. It’s a good bet that if Mac thought he was going to be dumped he wanted to be ready to deliver a stellar performance and show it as a mistake.

3D chess.

Is this why Bill Belichick took so long to endorse Mac Jones?

Judge Judy Eye Roll GIF

Maybe. Or it could just be something as simple as Bill thinking “I was effusive in my praise of Mac last year before the season started. How’d that work out? He **** all over my decisions, went behind my back and disrespected my staff. He never bought in and it affected the team around him.” Now, he’s treating him the way he should. Another guy on the team that needs to go out there and realize he has a target on his back. He needs to earn this job and earn back the respect of those in the building. If the locker room is really some Zappe, some Mac, he’s gonna need to earn their respect too. All this noise just to fill up time slots on radio and tv. Ridiculous.

Maybe. Or it could just be something as simple as Bill thinking “I was effusive in my praise of Mac last year before the season started. How’d that work out? He **** all over my decisions, went behind my back and disrespected my staff. He never bought in and it affected the team around him.”
To be fair, though, I'd be even more alarmed if he continued to buy in after it became clear Patricia was in over his head.

Yeah... I like Bill as much as anyone, but this is a stretch to say the least.
Yeah, I agree, to a point. I do think that if he can eff with other teams with a little gamesmanship, he's 100% going to do it with a "Let's f*ck with these A**holes" quip while he's doing it. In my mind, Bill's been doing this forever and knows which organizations he can eff with and which ones just take care of their own business. Do I think that's his plan A on bringing Levis in? Nope. Does he crack a smile when someone takes the cheese? Yup.

As far as Mac Jones goes, he has to know this is norm in the NFL. Does he like it? Probably not.

and on top of that the uncertainty was also a ploy to motivate Mac to push harder to be ready for the season. It’s a good bet that if Mac thought he was going to be dumped he wanted to be ready to deliver a stellar performance and show it as a mistake.
Or maybe BB doesn't spend every waking moment of his days thinking of ways to motivate Mac Jones.

I don't think so.

I think Bill felt Mac fell short (performance, behavior, etc) of proving himself to being a true leader as the QB of the team. Because of that, like all players who in his mind, "have not earned it" he let him twist in the wind. He has the opportunity to prove himself this year.

Considering how many on this board got wrapped around the axle thinking Bill was about to dump Mac and draft a QB high there’s some credibility to Rapp’s hypothesis:

3D chess.

don't over think it.

Yeah, I agree, to a point. I do think that if he can eff with other teams with a little gamesmanship, he's 100% going to do it with a "Let's f*ck with these A**holes" quip while he's doing it. In my mind, Bill's been doing this forever and knows which organizations he can eff with and which ones just take care of their own business. Do I think that's his plan A on bringing Levis in? Nope. Does he crack a smile when someone takes the cheese? Yup.

As far as Mac Jones goes, he has to know this is norm in the NFL. Does he like it? Probably not.

I don't doubt that he does things to mess with other teams, I just doubt that he would do so at the expense of one of his players, especially a QB.

I don't know why this is so difficult for the media.

Before the draft, Belichick was asked if Mac is his #1. His answer: no, Mac must compete for #1.

After the draft, he's asked the same question. His answer: no, Mac must compete for #1.

When asked if he's still enthusiastic about Mac as he was last year, he says: absolutely.

These are not contradictions. Nothing has changed, AT ALL.

I'm sure Belichick feels that there's no point in telling Bailey Zappe he has no chance to compete even if the chance is only 10-15%. Especially when Mac hasn't absolutely solidified himself as the franchise.

There is no contradiction here, no mystery at all.

The media is getting confused because they have papers to sell.

I don't doubt that he does things to mess with other teams, I just doubt that he would do so at the expense of one of his players, especially a QB.
I don’t see it as being atbthe expense of Mac, I think BB got a two-fer being able to push Mac’s buttons at the same time that he was ****ing with the rest of the league.

Maybe. Or it could just be something as simple as Bill thinking “I was effusive in my praise of Mac last year before the season started. How’d that work out? He **** all over my decisions, went behind my back and disrespected my staff. He never bought in and it affected the team around him.”
To be fair, though, I'd be even more alarmed if he continued to buy in after it became clear Patricia was in over his head.
Problem wasn’t not buying in, it was how he handled it after not buying in. See bolded text.

3D chess.

This doesn't even make any sense. I can understand the logic that if NE drafted a QB then it would motivate the current guy (in this case, Mac Jones) to fight harder to keep the job. But are you honestly suggesting that Jones is going to be more motivated because they brought a rookie QB (whom they ended up not selecting) in for a visit?

This doesn't even make any sense. I can understand the logic that if NE drafted a QB then it would motivate the current guy (in this case, Mac Jones) to fight harder to keep the job. But are you honestly suggesting that Jones is going to be more motivated because they brought a rookie QB (whom they ended up not selecting) in for a visit?
I’m saying if he thought he might be dumped it would motivate him to buckle down and grind hard both to fight for his job and if he lost it to be ready to rub their nose in it by turning in a stellar year wherever he went and showing what a mistake it was.

or, flip answer, it doesn’t make sense because you’re only playing 2D chess

I don't know why this is so difficult for the media.

Before the draft, Belichick was asked if Mac is his #1. His answer: no, Mac must compete for #1.

After the draft, he's asked the same question. His answer: no, Mac must compete for #1.

When asked if he's still enthusiastic about Mac as he was last year, he says: absolutely.

These are not contradictions. Nothing has changed, AT ALL.

I'm sure Belichick feels that there's no point in telling Bailey Zappe he has no chance to compete even if the chance is only 10-15%. Especially when Mac hasn't absolutely solidified himself as the franchise.

There is no contradiction here, no mystery at all.

The media is getting confused because they have papers to sell.
This is like rocket science for some here to figure out.

Nobody gets a free ride…everyone including the coaches have to earn the right to play / coach.

Everyone should be optimistic about a new NFL season. I am.

Last edited:
No, it turned out once again that someone made up a rumor that the media wanted to run with.

I do like and don't discount a coach's propensity to take advantage of those little things. I mean, the last thing I'd ever want is someone to know anything about my team at all. If that makes teams over-plan? Great. At the very least, it doesn't show your hand. However, I also can't remember the last time Bill said anyone would be the starter except... probably Brady? I could be wrong, I just don't remember.

I do like and don't discount a coach's propensity to take advantage of those little things. I mean, the last thing I'd ever want is someone to know anything about my team at all. If that makes teams over-plan? Great. At the very least, it doesn't show your hand. However, I also can't remember the last time Bill said anyone would be the starter except... probably Brady? I could be wrong, I just don't remember.
I'm pretty sure BB said that Cam was the QB in 2020...which is what's fueling the "BB hates Mac" storyline.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back