PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Three Dimensional Chess?

I'm pretty sure BB said that Cam was the QB in 2020...which is what's fueling the "BB hates Mac" storyline.
I always felt that he coached TB hard because he could, because Brady was great. I also felt that he pumped Cam up to the media because Cam was not great and needed to be coached differently.

Is BB really playing 3D chess while everyone else plays checkers?

Considering how many on this board got wrapped around the axle thinking Bill was about to dump Mac and draft a QB high there’s some credibility to Rapp’s hypothesis:

and on top of that the uncertainty was also a ploy to motivate Mac to push harder to be ready for the season. It’s a good bet that if Mac thought he was going to be dumped he wanted to be ready to deliver a stellar performance and show it as a mistake.

3D chess.

Is this why Bill Belichick took so long to endorse Mac Jones?
A 3D chess masterclass by Bill............up until the Patriots take the field in this September with Corky still under center.

Note:
Bill 3 D'd like a Grandmaster last season too when he implemented his infamous Bobo Maneuver

BB does what he has always done... He works hard to put his team is an advantageous position to win... Does it always work? Nope... Does he always make the right decision? Nope... Does he stick to his process? Yes he does...

so whether its checkers, chess or three dimensional chess I'm glad he's our coach...

I'm pretty sure BB said that Cam was the QB in 2020...which is what's fueling the "BB hates Mac" storyline.
My take was and still is 2-fold with Cam. 1. Naming a very popular QB the starter helped to bring in players…especially WR’s and also 2. BB knew Cam was not a good fit….so it was a mini tank which in turn gave us Mac.

BB does not hate Mac. In fact I think he very much values his talents and believes he could be the franchise QB for years to come.

BB does not hate Mac. In fact I think he very much values his talents and believes he could be the franchise QB for years to come.

This part I agree with. Also BB knows it takes 3+ years for a QB to start to be good.

I always felt that he coached TB hard because he could, because Brady was great. I also felt that he pumped Cam up to the media because Cam was not great and needed to be coached differently.
Something that is underestimated or overlooked is how much Bill shifts his style depending on circumstances

BB does what he has always done... He works hard to put his team is an advantageous position to win... Does it always work? Nope... Does he always make the right decision? Nope... Does he stick to his process? Yes he does...

so whether its checkers, chess or three dimensional chess I'm glad he's our coach...
1 playoff win in his 10 seasons without Brady.
Just sayin…..

I’m saying if he thought he might be dumped it would motivate him to buckle down and grind hard both to fight for his job and if he lost it to be ready to rub their nose in it by turning in a stellar year wherever he went and showing what a mistake it was.
You seem unaware that the Patriots *didn’t* draft the QB they visited with. Why would Jones think he might be dumped when they ended up *not* drafting the QB in question? Do you think Jones has some major motivation over a simple pre-draft visit??

It is pathetic how far the Belichick krishnas will stretch in a desperate attempt to make every routine move look like absolute genius.

You seem unaware that the Patriots *didn’t* draft the QB they visited with. Why would Jones think he might be dumped when they ended up *not* drafting the QB in question? Do you think Jones has some major motivation over a simple pre-draft visit??

It is pathetic how far the Belichick krishnas will stretch in a desperate attempt to make every routine move look like absolute genius.
I don’t know, but a lot of folks on here and even some media folks sure thought so. Why not Mac?

Brady sucked...Brady sucks...Brady will suck...OK?...EOS...can we please move on, dead horse beaters? (oh..and "Showtime"is a pure pinhead)

Brady sucked...Brady sucks...Brady will suck...OK?...EOS...can we please move on, dead horse beaters? (oh..and "Showtime"is a pure pinhead)
You always put out fires with gasoline?

1 playoff win in his 10 seasons without Brady.
Just sayin…..
yeah, dont give a ****... he drafted brady... he kept brady around... he made the decision to play brady over bledsoe...

but that always seems to be left out of the discussion...

without Belichick our teams trophy case would look a lot like buffalos...

just sayin'...

Last edited:
I fully anticipate and expect Zappe to be the starter for game 1. I would be very surprised/borderline shocked if Mac Jones is starting game 1.
Zappe isnt good enough yet...

What I find interesting that there were more han a few reports during the draft of teams purposely jumping the Patriots to grab a guy because it was thought that the Patriots wanted him. You have Rappaport's story about Levis. And today, you have a report mentioning that the Lions had trades in place to move up to take Gibbs because the Pats were thought to want him..

What I find interesting that there were more han a few reports during the draft of teams purposely jumping the Patriots to grab a guy because it was thought that the Patriots wanted him. You have Rappaport's story about Levis. And today, you have a report mentioning that the Lions had trades in place to move up to take Gibbs because the Pats were thought to want him..
Two other examples: Brad Childress thinking he "stole" Percy Harvin from the Pats after finding out about the Pats' interest in him, and thinking he got one over on Bill. (Harvin visited MIN after NE.)

Also, Vernon Gholston.

I think Rappaport's theory really does sound like something Bill would do. He hates divulging any information for competitive reasons (I assume), so he naturally doesn't want to respond to a questions like that about Mac anyway, and the rationale -- however weak -- that it benefited the team in the draft to let it be believed he might pick a QB is definitely completely consistent with Bill rationalizing his anal retentive public relations tendencies.

Conversely, if Bill had been thinking of drafting a QB high, he would have tried to conceal that decision completely and might even have done one of his famous insincere pump-up jobs about Mac that he does every week when talking about the opposition -- which would also have helped create a stronger trade market for Mac.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back