PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ANNOUNCEMENT Thread Mute Function Added

Very bad idea
Not quite that extreme. It’s basically just a continuation of the mute where responses in the same thread by the person who is muted won’t be seen. Just like the ignore. The ignore hides the reply whereas right now, the mute doesn’t.

There probably won’t ever be a full block. At worst, anything that extreme might lead to a forced mutual ignore. But it’s been 20+ years…I’d like to think we can avoid those situations.

Not quite that extreme. It’s basically just a continuation of the mute where responses in the same thread by the person who is muted won’t be seen. Just like the ignore. The ignore hides the reply whereas right now, the mute doesn’t.

There probably won’t ever be a full block. At worst, anything that extreme might lead to a forced mutual ignore. But it’s been 20+ years…I’d like to think we can avoid those situations.
Looking at how this function works, it hides muted posts but not if someone responds to those posts. To see the effect I muted two posters that were hijacking a thread. The page count remained the same but some pages only had 2 or 3 posts, making it way easier to navigate through the thread. If you also mute the responses to their posts, won't you be muting responses from the person using the mute feature? I don't see the benefit in that.

To me if you in fact have a need to mute a poster, you can then simply scroll past the responses to their posts (which are unmuted) when you see them at the top of the response. Anyway, nice feature.

Not quite, it’s more for people to be able to control things a little more.
Elon is creating an "edit" button
You have your "mute" button

Are you an alien lifeform too?

For practice....
Go to this thread (link below) and "mute" the author of post #1
14 out of 20 Bucs posts vanish just on Page 1
Quite a fervent Bucs supporter, I must say

Last edited:

Looking at how this function works, it hides muted posts but not if someone responds to those posts. To see the effect I muted two posters that were hijacking a thread. The page count remained the same but some pages only had 2 or 3 posts, making it way easier to navigate through the thread. If you also mute the responses to their posts, won't you be muting responses from the person using the mute feature? I don't see the benefit in that.

To me if you in fact have a need to mute a poster, you can then simply scroll past the responses to their posts (which are unmuted) when you see them at the top of the response. Anyway, nice feature.

If Ian's talking about the equivalent of a total ignore (posts from ignored person aren't seen by the function user, and neither are posts that reply to that ignored person), but everyone else can still see the response a/k/a where the only impact is on the person using the tool (called mute in this case), it's actually a very good way to do it, and I've got that set up for another forum I frequent.

But, if it's the equivalent of a speech silencer, where the mute effectively prevents all response from the ignored person, that's a terrible system.

Reactions: Ian
If Ian's talking about the equivalent of a total ignore (posts from ignored person aren't seen by the function user, and neither are posts that reply to that ignored person), but everyone else can still see the response a/k/a where the only impact is on the person using the tool (called mute in this case), it's actually a very good way to do it, and I've got that set up for another forum I frequent.
Yes, this is how it's essentially set up (with the latter portion in red working on ignore but not yet on mute). And it's only specific to the user using it on whoever they're trying to "mute" from the thread conversation.

Not sure what you mean. It doesn't mute a post, it mutes that person for the duration of that one specific thread. Quoted responses of the person muted will eventually be removed (again - only for the person who has that user muted) just like they are in the ignore feature but that hasn't been implemented yet.

Last edited:
But, if it's the equivalent of a speech silencer, where the mute effectively prevents all response from the ignored person, that's a terrible system.
Also, it's only specific to the person who has essentially placed the user on what more or less amounts to a personal thread ignore. Whoever they're "muting" is only specific to them - it has no bearing on anyone else. Their replies, etc. continue to appear to everyone else as normal and in theory, unless someone notices that person isn't responding, they technically wouldn't even know they were essentially being ignored.

Also, it's only specific to the person who has essentially placed the user on what more or less amounts to a personal thread ignore. Whoever they're "muting" is only specific to them - it has no bearing on anyone else. Their replies, etc. continue to appear to everyone else as normal and in theory, unless someone notices that person isn't responding, they technically wouldn't even know they were essentially being ignored.

Yeah, that's an important distinction, and your first post made it seem (at least to me) like you were looking to set it up like a Twitter block function, where it's a complete shutdown of the blocked (muted) person. I should probably have asked for clarification before initially calling it a bad idea, so my apologies about that.

Yeah, that's an important distinction, and your first post made it seem (at least to me) like you were looking to set it up like a Twitter block function, where it's a complete shutdown of the blocked (muted) person. I should probably have asked for clarification before initially calling it a bad idea, so my apologies about that.
No worries. This was just meant for people to have their own ability to mute someone who was getting a little crazy for a single thread without having to do a full ignore.

No worries. This was just meant for people to have their own ability to mute someone who was getting a little crazy for a single thread without having to do a full ignore.

Total ignore is great. I'm not sure how often a one-thread-only version of it will be used, but it'll make for some interesting thread reads if people use it without letting the target know.

The thing is, with the ignore function, the ignored user will respond to something you write and then someone whom you didn't ignore will respond to that and then you are forced to inevitably hit the "show ignored content" button at the bottom to see what's going on. Then you are sucked back into a conversation with someone you didn't want to be in to begin with...will the block function solve this?

The thing is, with the ignore function, the ignored user will respond to something you write and then someone whom you didn't ignore will respond to that and then you are forced to inevitably hit the "show ignored content" button at the bottom to see what's going on. Then you are sucked back into a conversation with someone you didn't want to be in to begin with...will the block function solve this?
Wow!

Any therapists logged in who can help Mac10 with these intricate complications that may cause him future unease?

It's summer, go play a round of golf. Skip a rock across a pond

Testing the mute function on another thread...

Lol, unfortunately, there’s only so much I can do. Hiding the replies like the ignore function is the only other thing being added. So anything above and beyond will just require self- control ;)

Lol, unfortunately, there’s only so much I can do. Hiding the replies like the ignore function is the only other thing being added. So anything above and beyond will just require self- control ;)

Thanks, I figured as such but I thought I'd ask anyway...

So...

No way you can mount some lasers on this bad boy, then?

Maybe you can send him a Patsfans full body white spandex deflection suit w/ hoodie, like a giant rubber, for his protection. Hope you carry them in XXL size. Lol

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back