PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This is what media lies do to people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats nothing I heard Carson Palmer refer to the Brady rule, he believed the media even when he knew the rule was made as a direct result of a hit on him by the steelers....dumbfounding

You mean the "Brady Rule" where a defender can't lunge at a QB's legs after being blocked to the ground? The "Brady Rule" that I've never seen used since it was created? That "Brady Rule"?

I'm equally confused about the media focus on this. The play most people talk about is the Suggs penalty where "a rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him." As you note, this particular rule wording went into effect in 2006.

The NFL ruled that the Brady injury fell into a gray area, though I don't see that it does. Pollard "forcibly hit" Brady in "the knee area", wasn't "blocked into" him and had every opportunity "to avoid him." Anyway, that led to the following clarifications this offseason:

Note 1: "A defender cannot initiate a roll or lunge and forcibly hit the passer in the knee area or below, even if he is being contacted by another player."

Note 2: "It is not a foul if the defender swipes, wraps, or grabs a passer in the knee area or below in an attempt to tackle him."

I don't think these "Palmer Rule: Brady Addenda" were necessary since "initiating a roll or lunge" means you had the "opportunity to avoid" the QB as covered in the existing rule. Whatever. Perception = Reality, I guess.

Am I the only one that sees the irony in this?

People are complaining about a thread on the Saints board talking about cheap calls going against them, yet this very board is chalk full of threads about how the Colts have the refs in their pockets and the Pats only lose because of that.

*cough* hypocritical? *cough*

Why is Saints fans complaining about Brady rule conspiracies any less relevant than Pats fans complaining about Polian rule conspiracies?

If it's ignorant for them to do it, why isn't it considered ignorant here?

uhmmmm..... because polian's on the competition committee that decide's the rules and brady is a player that plays by those rules. other than that, they're exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back