ANNOUNCEMENT OT: New Reactions - Mod Mute is Active

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
1) Nothing major. You guys may have already seen the "Already Been Discussed" (beating a dead horse) and "I Need Coffee" reactions I added yesterday. These replaced the "Eeek!" and "Look at this!" reactions.

2) The in-thread mod mute function is active. Again, the way this works is that if a thread begins to go way off-topic, the conversation between the users involved will now be muted so that it can continue between them without disrupting the thread.

A couple of people have messaged me on this, so here are a few things to know:

a) The user(s) who is(are) muted can still see all the other posts. But their conversation isn't visible.

b) If they reply to you, that's when their post would then become visible to you. And if you reply to them, that conversation remains hidden.

c) Other people within the thread - if they've also responded to them - isn't visible to everyone. Just to the pair having the conversation.

d) Again, only posts by the muted individual(s) and any subsequent replies are hidden. They each essentially become private conversations.

I'm trying to use this on a limited basis, and this solution was created primarily because, previously, the only other option was to institute a reply ban and boot the user(s) from the thread. It may ultimately come to that, but I put this together to give people some leeway since there are some who are willing to respond and continue those conversations. This just now allows them to do it away from everyone else and keep the thread on the original topic.

But otherwise, moving forward, if you notice a thread missing posts/etc., that's the reason.

I think most people in here can figure out that this solution has zero to do with censorship, etc. (if that was the case, they would instead be deleted, and it wouldn't be permitted) This is now in place to remove the constant reappearance of the same arguments that have been hashed out in here literally dozens of times this offseason, especially when it's unrelated to the topic of the thread.

I don't have an issue with criticizing the team, the coach, etc. And while I know some people feel like those topics may be relevant in a given thread, this entire topic has become like the "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" - where you can take any topic and link it back to either Brady or Belichick and then who was more valuable, etc.

We've got just a couple of weeks left until camp, and we don't need to argue about the same things moving forward. Whatever happens in 2023 will ultimately answer a lot of these questions, and I'd like to have us begin shifting things further in that direction.

I'm going to lock this because I don't want to turn this into another complaint thread. Obviously, any issues, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
One other quick note: The normal user mute function has been tweaked:

1689171273662.png

The change was I modified the names of the last two selections to make it a little clearer and highlighted them, as those extend beyond a given thread:

1) The "Full Mute" function will mute the user in every thread board-wide. You would no longer need to mute that user in any thread after that.

2) "Block" user will both block the user and also hide your posts from appearing to them. I would do this only in extreme situations where you don't get along with someone and would prefer to no longer interact with them. Although, please note, this isn't tied into the notifications. If you don't want to get notifications of any replies in a thread, you'll need to put them on ignore.

Otherwise, this post will show you where you can manage those users:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk