PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we have a fast, athletic, blitzing defense, that is off the charts.

This week will be especially interesting. BB chose to retain Bennett and other middleweight DLmen to build an athletic defense, rather than retain Pennell or acquire another big body to spell Shelton and Guy. (There may simply not have been anyone available to his liking.) Having interchangeable parts that can get after the quarterback from the inside or outside or even drop into a shallow zone gives him tons of options for disguise and general sowing of chaos against the passing game. However, the lack of beef on the inside has yet to be tested by a team committed to the running game, where the Pats two big bodies and undersized subs get pounded for four quarters. In other years, the Pats' offense might make that an unworkable strategy after 2 quarters most of the time, but this year, that is not the case yet.

Baltimore will test this defense with their commitment to the run. I'm excited to see how the Pats D holds up. That LB core is deep and physical and ready to challenge OLmen moving to the second level. They are also going to be stronger in other ways. Where mobile QBs have sometimes troubled NE defenses in prior years, the speed of the defense should be helpful against Lamar Jackson in the RPO and on broken plays, where his mobility is such a weapon.

I'm too caught-up in the Boogieman hype to anticipate the defense folding under the ground assault, but it's a possibility. This game will tell us a lot about the rest of the season, both because the fast, aggressive D matches-up much better with the KC and Philly offenses, and because it will tell us how things might go on some of the sloppy days in December and January.

Interesting article at the Ringer that makes end of the year predictions based on what they seen at the halfway mark.

All 6 writers have the Pats winning the SB.

3 of the 6 have a Pats player winning the defensive player of the year with 1 vote each for Gilmore, Collins and Hightower.

BB gets 1 vote for COY.

I disagree with what you posted. But rather than argue I marked disagree.

To each their own, but simply hitting a "Disagree" or "Dislike" reaction emoji without explaining WHY is kind of like ringing a doorbell and running away. No biggie, and everyone is perfectly free to do things their way, but jmo.

Last edited:
Can we start grooming Steve Belichick to take over HC responsibilities in 2024, thank you Jonathan Kraft.

How do you know he's any good?

His only job has been through his dad. I'd like to see an actual reason before feeling good about him as HC of the Pats. Let's face it, everyone in that building is real nice to him for one central reason.......

Thanks for illustrating with your attitude exactly why I don’t want to argue about it.
You can feel free to believe whatever you want.
Confrontation & debate is healthy. Avoiding both is a sign of social anxiety

Got my Boogeymen T Shirt just in time for Halloween

View attachment 24906

If I'm Ja'Whuan Bentley, I'm really pissed off about this t-shirt. Who the &uck is #36 and #48??????
Post edit: Oops, just saw the full version without the right side cut off. My man made it onto the shirt! Still who is 36 and 48??????? King is on IR and is really a ST/Safety......

Last edited:
If I'm Ja'Whuan Bentley, I'm really pissed off about this t-shirt. Who the &uck is #36 and #48??????

Bentley is on there

beware-of-the-boogeymen-patriots-shirt.jpg

36 is Brandon King
48 is Calvin Munson

Whoever did the shirt just decided to put every LB on the roster regardless if they were on IR or the PS.

Bentley is on there

beware-of-the-boogeymen-patriots-shirt.jpg

36 is Brandon King
48 is Calvin Munson

Whoever did the shirt just decided to put every LB on the roster regardless if they were on IR or the PS.

Brandon King???? In that case, if I'm Obi Melifonwu, I'm really pissed off about this t-shirt! :D

So I've come to the completely made up conclusion that BB is doing the game-planning during the week and letting Steve and Mayo 'Do their job' on game day. He's still very involved though given his coaching of the entire defense on the fly against the Jets.

To each their own, but simply hitting a "Disagree" or "Dislike" reaction emoji without explaining WHY is kind of like ringing a doorbell and running away. No biggie, and everyone is perfectly free to do things their way, but jmo.

I'm not taking sides on this particular issue here (I've really only been skimming the back and forth), but sometimes "disagree" is as in depth as someone needs to go. People get way too hung up on little red X's under their posts. Someone disagrees with you. You don't have to change your mind because of it, but they also aren't required to give you more if changing your mind isn't important to them.

So I've come to the completely made up conclusion that BB is doing the game-planning during the week and letting Steve and Mayo 'Do their job' on game day. He's still very involved though given his coaching of the entire defense on the fly against the Jets.
I think hes doing it the same they've always done it.

1. They all get the scouting report on the other team.
2. Bill tells the DC (in this case both JM and BBJr.) what he wants to see in the game plan including specific calls, personnel groupings, etc.
3. BBJr and JM come up with the game plan
4. BB tweaks and/or approves.

I'm not sure about the whole play-calling decision but i'm assuming there was/is some kind of evaluation by BB to determine who gets to di it. Maybe its still TBD?

With RAC, Fat Matt, Pees because of their experience he might give them a bit more freedom.

I have absolutely no doubt Belichick is running the defense. Like I said I’m not going to argue about it though.

A reason or two would go a long way.

Safe space. ;)

We all need a safe space now and then, we just can’t live in them everyday.

Man, I’m glad we don’t have the POFO any longer!:)

No it’s a sign of not wanting to waste my time arguing with an anonymous person on the internet.
If you can show me some examples on this board of healthy debate and meaningful confrontation on this board I’m open to having my opinion changed but all I see here (in the “debate” realm) is people insulting each other and acting stubborn.
Avoiding confrontation in real life is certainly a troubling sign but avoiding it on an anonymous message board is simply having discretion to not waste your time.

look here, I said I am not here to argue and already a handful of people want to argue about me not wanting to argue. You in fact are using it to try to psychoanalyze me.
Now I am sure you will come back with some type of argument that I am not giving the real reason I don’t want to get into arguments, which is exactly the path of “internet debate” and exactly what I am not interested in

Cant I just read people opinions about the patriots and state my own? Do people really think they should judge how a person wants to participate?

the weasely thing you write when realize you take a stupid position, don’t want to be proved wrong, and can’t climb down.

The above is what the poster was choosing not to engage with.

It should be said that not all forms of confrontation/debate are healthy, and there will be variance from individual to individual as well. Certainly not an automatic sign someone has social anxiety, or if they do, that their social anxiety is the reason for their unwillingness to debate.

Sometimes it's clear that the energy invested in a discussion is not worth the trouble if the other individual is engaging in the discussion in such a way as to ensure it's stressful and/or unproductive.

Maybe that's why Ring bowed out.

A reason or two would go a long way.
A long way toward what? I’m not trying to convince anyone I am just stating my opinion.
Personally I think the reasons are obvious, if you don’t, that’s fine.

The above is what the poster was choosing not to engage with.

It should be said that not all forms of confrontation/debate are healthy, and that'll vary from individual to individual as well. Certainly not an automatic sign someone has social anxiety, or if they do, that their social anxiety is the reason for their unwillingness to debate.

Sometimes it's clear that the energy invested in a discussion is not worth the trouble if the other individual is engaging in the discussion in such a way as to ensure it's stressful and/or unproductive.

Maybe that's why Ring bowed out.
Yes. I know the nature of “internet debate.” I see what is happening in this board. I know that if I sink to that level I will contribute to the types of silly personal conflicts that infect this board that no one wants to see clogging up threads (kind of like this one. Why are we talking about wanting or not wanting to argue in a football thread) so I choose to not participate In that type of conversation.
I see no value whatsoever in it. I have yet to see a single poster change any others opinion on this board with these arguments. It’s a waste of time.

This week will be especially interesting. BB chose to retain Bennett and other middleweight DLmen to build an athletic defense, rather than retain Pennell or acquire another big body to spell Shelton and Guy. (There may simply not have been anyone available to his liking.) Having interchangeable parts that can get after the quarterback from the inside or outside or even drop into a shallow zone gives him tons of options for disguise and general sowing of chaos against the passing game. However, the lack of beef on the inside has yet to be tested by a team committed to the running game, where the Pats two big bodies and undersized subs get pounded for four quarters. In other years, the Pats' offense might make that an unworkable strategy after 2 quarters most of the time, but this year, that is not the case yet.

Baltimore will test this defense with their commitment to the run. I'm excited to see how the Pats D holds up. That LB core is deep and physical and ready to challenge OLmen moving to the second level. They are also going to be stronger in other ways. Where mobile QBs have sometimes troubled NE defenses in prior years, the speed of the defense should be helpful against Lamar Jackson in the RPO and on broken plays, where his mobility is such a weapon.

I'm too caught-up in the Boogieman hype to anticipate the defense folding under the ground assault, but it's a possibility. This game will tell us a lot about the rest of the season, both because the fast, aggressive D matches-up much better with the KC and Philly offenses, and because it will tell us how things might go on some of the sloppy days in December and January.

You can count me as one person who is worried that the Patriots don't have enough 320lbs DTs on the roster to stop a team that is truly committed to the run. Shelton has been awesome, but he is the only true big guy on the DL. The rest, even Guy, are about 300lbs or less. Can big strong athletic LBs make up the difference? I don't know. I would have felt more comfortable with one more big guy, even if it is to act as a sub on game day. Maybe crashing the line can cover up the lack of beef, but I don't like it.

No it’s a sign of not wanting to waste my time arguing with an anonymous person on the internet.
If you can show me some examples on this board of healthy debate and meaningful confrontation on this board I’m open to having my opinion changed but all I see here (in the “debate” realm) is people insulting each other and acting stubborn.
Avoiding confrontation in real life is certainly a troubling sign but avoiding it on an anonymous message board is simply having discretion to not waste your time.

look here, I said I am not here to argue and already a handful of people want to argue about me not wanting to argue. You in fact are using it to try to psychoanalyze me.
Now I am sure you will come back with some type of argument that I am not giving the real reason I don’t want to get into arguments, which is exactly the path of “internet debate” and exactly what I am not interested in

Cant I just read people opinions about the patriots and state my own? Do people really think they should judge how a person wants to participate?
You absolutely have the right to do as you please.

My statement was about life in general

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case