PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There's no QB Competition in Foxborough. Cam is the starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's great what BB is doing.......he fields the best team he can while making relative know-nothings lose their sh!t every time this topic comes up.

In the end, he's going to do what's best for the T-E-A-M team. That's what Mr Kraft pays him to do.
that makes no sense........no sense at all

BB is on a personal vendetta against Brady's underwear brigade.......it's so damned obvious

As others have said. I believe the pre-season play to include the joint practice sessions (may go even further than games) by Mac will go along way to whether he starts week 1 or not.

I still think irregardless of starter status for Cam, you will see him on the field. Although he is clearly a less than desirable starting QB, if not outright an incapable starter at this point, he is still a valuable weapon situationally and it would be foolish not to leverage that.

I have heard that Hoyer is going to get a lot of playing time tomorrow because Bill does not want to risk injuries. This is so depressing.

I have heard that Hoyer is going to get a lot of playing time tomorrow because Bill does not want to risk injuries. This is so depressing.

It's a preseason game, my guy.

You millennials will get depressed about anything.

It's a preseason game, my guy.

You millennials will get depressed about anything.
LOL. I am not a millennial but I am kind of bummed. I really want to see Mac. Don't you?

LOL. I am not a millennial but I am kind of bummed. I really want to see Mac. Don't you?
Hoyer might play a lot of the game but I'm sure we'll see Mac. Cam might sit this one.

Hoyer took the most snaps the most recent day of practice. Which means absolutely nothing. Because tracking practice snaps obsessively does not mean anything. Cam is the starter and BB has consistently said so. The only way Cam loses his job is if he's taken out on a stretcher or absolutely plays terrible every week till Halloween.

It is tough to look at the stats and know who is going against firsts and playing with firsts. I also keep seeing completion numbers followed by the caveat “but in a real game he would have been sacked” when discussing Cam. Also it has been mentioned a number of times that Mac often runs the same play Cam does right after him, so the defense is prepared. Which leads me to take all these numbers with a huge grain of salt and will wait till tomorrow night

Yeah, I am seeing a lot of that as well:

On one hand, it's camp...and the OL will be blocking HARDER too....but on the other hand, I'd like to see a quicker release.

I love how I live rent free in your head. You follow me around and post emojis like a teenage girl. Funny how thin skinned you are.
in your head lizzie GIF by WE tv

Maybe go back and make more bad draft prognostications that end up having zero impact or alignment on what the Pats actually do.
I love when you bring up draft stuff!

I mean if there's anyone better let me know but everyone else is playing for 2nd place. Kind of funny with all the resources they have but hey when you're good you're good.

I identify & hit on multiple picks we make every single year. Probably close to 25 players since 2018. 7 in 2020 alone. Legit almost the entire class. There ain't no one better @DropKickFlutie

Btw I'm not mad at you bro. You used to @ me all the time asking questions. Feel free I don't mind learning you a little something.

As others have said. I believe the pre-season play to include the joint practice sessions (may go even further than games) by Mac will go along way to whether he starts week 1 or not.

I still think irregardless of starter status for Cam, you will see him on the field. Although he is clearly a less than desirable starting QB, if not outright an incapable starter at this point, he is still a valuable weapon situationally and it would be foolish not to leverage that.

I doubt they are using a dozen throws to determine who starts week1. There is no QB competition. Cam Newton is the starting quarterback unless something major happens via injury or extremely poor play for many many regular season weeks.

Yeah, I am seeing a lot of that as well:

On one hand, it's camp...and the OL will be blocking HARDER too....but on the other hand, I'd like to see a quicker release.

to be fair then, how about we stop comparing throws against JC Jackson and Devin McCourty versus practice throws that beat Ja'Juan Williams in coverage.

Last edited:
The title of the article and this thread is really misleading. Volin says he believes Cam is the starter for the reasons stated by the OP but then he also says this further down:

As for Jones, it does seem like he is getting more work with the first team and more attention from Josh McDaniels than other young quarterbacks did in the past. When Jimmy Garoppolo arrived in 2014, he first had to surpass Ryan Mallett before getting reps with the starters. Jarrett Stidham was behind Brian Hoyer on the depth chart when he arrived in 2019.

But Jones does seem to be on an accelerated developmental schedule and is getting a lot of work this camp, as the Patriots are more invested in his development than they were with previous QBs. It’s also important to get Jones as much work as possible during these six weeks because once the season starts, the backup QB usually doesn’t get too much work in practice.

To me this means it is a competition and the Pats are indeed fast tracking Mac as they should be. Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth but it is Volin so ...
You have to understand that Volin is trying to figure this out by reading all the other reporter's columns.

You have to understand that Volin is trying to figure this out by reading all the other reporter's columns.

The Pats spent a 1st rounder for the first time ever in the BB era on a QB. Of COURSE they will make sure the kid is up to speed and fully supported to learn and grow as fast as possible. However there is no QB competition and no rush to start the rookie. There is no good comp for a rookie QB going all the way. Big Ben still didn't go all the way. Herbert had stats but the team lost a ton. This season I'm interested in winning as many games as possible and a slight chance at ring #7 with our star defensive vets in Gilmore, Hightower, and McCourty who may not all be back next year.

The Pats spent a 1st rounder for the first time ever in the BB era on a QB. Of COURSE they will make sure the kid is up to speed and fully supported to learn and grow as fast as possible. However there is no QB competition and no rush to start the rookie. There is no good comp for a rookie QB going all the way. Big Ben still didn't go all the way. Herbert had stats but the team lost a ton. This season I'm interested in winning as many games as possible and a slight chance at ring #7 with our star defensive vets in Gilmore, Hightower, and McCourty who may not all be back next year.
It's not about going all the way. It is about seeing Mac develop as a starter. Ben developed a lot his rookie year and so did Herbert. I would rather lose games with Mac and see him get a handle on things then be a middler team with Cam.

It's not about going all the way. It is about seeing Mac develop as a starter. Ben developed a lot his rookie year and so did Herbert. I would rather lose games with Mac and see him get a handle on things then be a middler team with Cam.

I hear what you mean but I don't agree on Cam. Sounds like you are looking at Cam without the covid fog context nor the zero offensive weapons and turnstile OLine context last year.

If Cam is at 1200 yards, 9 TDs and 5 INTs through the first 6 weeks, in my opinion that doesn't warrant switching it up. I'm totally on board with a change if Cam doesn't show up. Whenever Mac does play, and I think he's high potential, rookie QBs are going to make inevitable mistakes. I don't think the Pats spent $230M in the off-season just for a developmental year for Mac, I think they're going for it and Cam is still the best chance imo for that to happen this year.

I hear what you mean but I don't agree on Cam. Sounds like you are looking at Cam without the covid fog context nor the zero offensive weapons and turnstile OLine context last year.

If Cam is at 1200 yards, 9 TDs and 5 INTs through the first 6 weeks, in my opinion that doesn't warrant switching it up. I'm totally on board with a change if Cam doesn't show up. Whenever Mac does play, and I think he's high potential, rookie QBs are going to make inevitable mistakes. I don't think the Pats spent $230M in the off-season just for a developmental year for Mac, I think they're going for it and Cam is still the best chance imo for that to happen this year.
Cam himself said he did not have the Covid fog but that he fell behind in the play book and could never catch up. He did not have zero offensive weapons. His Oline was just fine. We had one of the top rushing attacks. He just can't play the position anymore. He is still making the same mistakes this TC as he did last year. He admitted that he is still learning the system and does not know where to go with the ball post snap.
I have no faith that we will better with him which is why I want Mac in there as soon as possible.

I doubt they are using a dozen throws to determine who starts week1. There is no QB competition. Cam Newton is the starting quarterback unless something major happens via injury or extremely poor play for many many regular season weeks.
That is where either your lack of imagination or lack of understanding of how football practices work etc... comes in.

Its not just a dozen throws, probably 18-24 throws each, over three practices. Its 18 reads/audibles, its 18 progressions, its 18 pocket presence, its 18 decisions...and its 18 specific situations that the coaches want to see against players they are not familiar with.

In games, you only come across the situations that play out during the game. In practice you can work on any situation you want. Quality over quantity when it comes to the joint practices.

So when you are done with a single joint practice week. Its probably a total of 80 or so throws each, spread out over multiple situations, game speed, half speed, two minute, four minute, red zone, goaline etc...

And how many throws do you imagine it takes to decide the starter? Do you think its just what happens in the games and on the practice field that determines the starter? The coaches are around these guys for 8-12 hours a day and have been since since the start of camp. Plus Rookie camp, mini camp, OTA's etc...these decisions don't happen in a bubble that only consists of a "dozen" throws in practice. Its an entire body of work, most of which neither the media or us get to see.

Practice is the culmination of how these guys put it all together. And thus far, based on media reports, Mac's body is better. What he is missing that Cam has, is 10 years of NFL starting experience and obviously that is worth something. If it wasn't, Cam would spend the entire practice dancing for the crowd. If Mac goes out and continues his growth against other competition and keeps stacking good practices. It will be tough for BB to go with Cam, unless he either improves over the 2nd half of preseason or if BB simply doesn't want to put the pressure of starting the Rookie week 1.

But at this point Mac has been better given what we have seen on the practice field.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye