PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There's no QB Competition in Foxborough. Cam is the starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knew it was a Trollin article before I even clicked on it.

This is the same guy that claimed Pats players in the locker room yelled “Foles does it again” when he beat another team to help the Pats in the standings. As if. Riiiiight

Cam Newton has NOT outperformed Mac Jones in camp.

i think it’s start to be embarrassing for Cam at this point honestly. The guy has been one of the worst QB in the league last year and he doesn’t look much better than a rookie QB two weeks in his first TC. I don’t want that guy to start for my team. I start to think that the only reason he will start is because BB loves him. Never saw him make so many excuses for a player before
No, Cam hasnt.

Cam and Mac are equal. No way in hell is Mac getting the nod for the season opener over Cam.

Cam is the starter until he isn't and that's fine like that.

When will it be? Now, that's the question and, at this point, my guess is as good as any of yours. Unless Mac completely dominates preseason, I would be very surprised if he were to start game 1. If he does not start game 1, I do not see him starting before like game 5 or 6 unless Cam gets hurt. BB has always treated September like an extension of training camp.

I think Mac will start at some point this year, but it could go to next year if Cam performs adequately. They have to play the long game with Mac. If it means being a little worse this year, so be it.

Yesterday's local radio media hot take: "Wouldn't be fair to Mac to have him start vs. Tompa's Bucs in week 4 so start Glam the first 4 games and deploy Mac in week 5."

Funny how the won/loss record for those 4 games was never factored into the Start Glam Equation...... just Mac's apparently vulnerable psyche.
Tender/caring Bill sure has a lot of feelings to protect....including not making the worst QB in 2020 sad in training camp.
Gilmore is probably wondering why Bill isn't worried about his emotional state as well.

The Pats might end up being the most emotionally stable 0-4 team in the NFL.
What is comforting to this fan is how much practice will be devoted to QB Sneak-right, QB Sneak-center, and QB Sneak-left....probably catch opposing defenses off-guard this year as well.

You illegally altered my comment which constitutes identity theft and fraud.

Expect a knock on the door. I hope you represent yourself in the criminal trial you ****in fuk
Actually, Rudy G was too busy but I got a guy who's represented himself before and that's good enough fo me, Mike "Pillow Cheeks" Lindell.

Magnitudes better than some trashy gossip threads being slung around about how some players supposedly feel about Cam.

That’s like asking “Which tastes better, a dogshit panini with avacado or a dogshit panini with diced tomato?”

We still get the hard copy of the Globe on weekends and I read that article. I immediately regretted it. My summary was “what an idiot”. In a nice way, Curran says something similar about Chubby Bennie’s take in his latest pod with Perry (starts at 4 minute mark).

‎Tom Curran’s Patriots Talk Podcast: Has Cam Newton fallen off enough to give Mac Jones a shot? on Apple Podcasts

His take about the running backs in that same article may have even been worse….If all six of Harris, Michel, Stevenson, White, Bolden and Taylor are healthy at the end of camp Sony is the “odd man out“? What? Has he paid attention to how the patriots typically treat rookie running backs in the Belichick era? Did he take the time to listen to what Fears has said about Stevenson after his first week of camp?

Volin sucks. End scene.

Last edited:
Mac is getting too many reps to be on the "keep under wraps until 2022" plan, but not enough to suggest he has been gifted the job.

Where Belichick draws the line between "Bench Newton" and "Start Newton" is up in the air but the way camp has been handled doesn't support the idea that Newton has a lock on the job. If he did he'd be getting more snaps to maximize his preparation, not splitting more or less evenly with the noob.

i think it’s start to be embarrassing for Cam at this point honestly. The guy has been one of the worst QB in the league last year and he doesn’t look much better than a rookie QB two weeks in his first TC. I don’t want that guy to start for my team. I start to think that the only reason he will start is because BB loves him. Never saw him make so many excuses for a player before

I think what BB has in mind is that yes, Cam will start, but he is walking on thin ice.

Also, the other thing is- as good as Mac Jones is, and as encouraging as he has been through camp, it's generally a good thing for rookie QB's to sit for as long as is possible. It's not just about the learning curve, but also about repetitions. There's a lot to learn and absorb to the point of executing without thinking.

No, Cam hasnt.

Cam and Mac are equal. No way in hell is Mac getting the nod for the season opener over Cam.
No one cares about your liberal politics, we're talking football here.

Mack Jones has NOT outperformed Cam in camp.

Keep smoking the glass pipe of you believe that he has and that MJ is going to start over Cam.
From what I can tell, it's been close to even. Mac seems to make quicker reads and decisions and probably has an equal to or better ability in uderstanding defensive formations. Cam seems to do best when he's able to throw to his first read. Cam also brings that element of 11 on 11, which is hard to show in practice.

Let's be clear, Cam is not "running away with it" in practice. Mac is right on his heels and the fact that a rookie is holding his own against a 10 year vet says volumes. Mac is doing what he's supposed to be doing at every level, working with the 1's 2's and rookies. Cam isn't doing anytihng to lose the job, Mac seems to be getting better each practice.

I agree, Cam probaly starts the season, barring injury or him being a streaky player, he puts together a series of really bad practices. But I can tell you that I believe Mac will be ready to play at a high level by 4 games into the sason. So Cam had better watch out, because he won't have much of a leash with that crap sandwich we saw last year. BB didn't have an option to put on the field he thought would be better. Now he does.

My thoughts. Cam sucked last year. Hopefully he will be better this year. Bill will look at everything this summer and decide who to start based upon who he thinks is best for the team now. I find it rather tough to imagine Bill planning on having Cam play 4 games then pull him as the starter to put Mac in. I also find it difficult to imagine Bill having the two qb’s split time. So I generally come around to the whoever is better over the next month is the starter for the year. I think tomorrow night will give us the first real idea where both qb’s are. Finally Volin is an idiot who doesn’t like the Pats and should be completely ignored.
I personally hope it is Mac, but won’t be devastated if Cam wins it. I just want the Patriots to win.
He's going to poll the team, the fans, the fifth graders ....

From what I can tell, it's been close to even. Mac seems to make quicker reads and decisions and probably has an equal to or better ability in uderstanding defensive formations. Cam seems to do best when he's able to throw to his first read. Cam also brings that element of 11 on 11, which is hard to show in practice.

Let's be clear, Cam is not "running away with it" in practice. Mac is right on his heels and the fact that a rookie is holding his own against a 10 year vet says volumes. Mac is doing what he's supposed to be doing at every level, working with the 1's 2's and rookies. Cam isn't doing anytihng to lose the job, Mac seems to be getting better each practice.

I agree, Cam probaly starts the season, barring injury or him being a streaky player, he puts together a series of really bad practices. But I can tell you that I believe Mac will be ready to play at a high level by 4 games into the sason. So Cam had better watch out, because he won't have much of a leash with that crap sandwich we saw last year. BB didn't have an option to put on the field he thought would be better. Now he does.
It is tough to look at the stats and know who is going against firsts and playing with firsts. I also keep seeing completion numbers followed by the caveat “but in a real game he would have been sacked” when discussing Cam. Also it has been mentioned a number of times that Mac often runs the same play Cam does right after him, so the defense is prepared. Which leads me to take all these numbers with a huge grain of salt and will wait till tomorrow night

It is tough to look at the stats and know who is going against firsts and playing with firsts. I also keep seeing completion numbers followed by the caveat “but in a real game he would have been sacked” when discussing Cam. Also it has been mentioned a number of times that Mac often runs the same play Cam does right after him, so the defense is prepared. Which leads me to take all these numbers with a huge grain of salt and will wait till tomorrow night

However they are designing this, everything I'm seeing/reading/interpreting says that Mac is right there. Whatever spin you want to put on it, the rookie should be in over his head right now, but he rises to every challenge they've thrown at him. Which, to me, has significant meaning.

your last sentence is the truest of all. BB has never glorified a worse player as much (on his own team) He does it every week for the opponent, but never even gave TB12 as much public praise as he's given Cam. I don't care if he's jokey and fun in the locker room, and that qualifies as leadership these days... if the dude can't manage THIS offense more efficiently by week 6, then it's time to move on.
I think wk 7-9 (Jets, Chargers, Panthers) will be the softest schedule to get Mac going as any (except for the first 3 games - which won't happen)

The title of the article and this thread is really misleading. Volin says he believes Cam is the starter for the reasons stated by the OP but then he also says this further down:

As for Jones, it does seem like he is getting more work with the first team and more attention from Josh McDaniels than other young quarterbacks did in the past. When Jimmy Garoppolo arrived in 2014, he first had to surpass Ryan Mallett before getting reps with the starters. Jarrett Stidham was behind Brian Hoyer on the depth chart when he arrived in 2019.

But Jones does seem to be on an accelerated developmental schedule and is getting a lot of work this camp, as the Patriots are more invested in his development than they were with previous QBs. It’s also important to get Jones as much work as possible during these six weeks because once the season starts, the backup QB usually doesn’t get too much work in practice.

To me this means it is a competition and the Pats are indeed fast tracking Mac as they should be. Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth but it is Volin so ...

Assuming Cam is the starter I’ll be rooting for him like I do all Patriots, but it doesn’t mean I have to pretend he’s something he’s not at this point. He’s the bridge guy.

The same way fans of other teams were rooting for wins under Ryan Fitzpatrick or Tyrod Taylor until the next guy was ready is what most of us see as the default position.

I can put shiny chrome rims, a loud muffler and racing stickers all over my Toyota Corolla… it won’t make it any faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back