PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Tom Brady rumor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is all assuming the issue is merely financial. It may be that Brady has no interest in returning to the Patriots at any price.

Based on the person I've perceived him to be through interviews and such, I think it's more about wanting a longer commitment from the team as a reflection of their belief in him and some amount of greater input. And I really think AB is a big part of it.

I don't think BB will give a player a say in roster moves, ever. And that's why I think their call was unproductive.

I dunno, speculation on my part but you follow a coach and a player religiously for 2 decades you can sort of get a feel for who the person is, and this is what my gut is telling me.

Why does the start of FA feel so far away?

Based on the person I've perceived him to be through interviews and such, I think it's more about wanting a longer commitment from the team as a reflection of their belief in him and some amount of greater input. And I really think AB is a big part of it.

I don't think BB will give a player a say in roster moves, ever. And that's why I think their call was unproductive.

I dunno, speculation on my part but you follow a coach and a player religiously for 2 decades you can sort of get a feel for who the person is, and this is what my gut is telling me.

Tom: So can we talk about what the roster will look like?
Bill: Sure. Like always, Tom, we are looking to field the most competitive team we can. You know that already.
Tom: I have some guys I'd like to talk to you about...
Bill: Look, Tom, I am not going to speculate who we are going to get. Christ, we don't even have a CBA in place.
Tom: So we can't even ...
Bill: How can I talk to you about guys we don't have under contract? We can talk about the guys we have under contract. Which, technically, you are still.
Tom: What about __________ and _________?
Bill: They are under contract. They'll be given an opportunity to compete for a position.
Tom: *pause* Jesus, it's like you're talking to the media.
Bill: It's really not that different. We have guys we have under contract, guys we want to talk to once free agency starts, guys we are looking at in the draft, the usual chit we go thru this time of year.
Tom: *pause and deep exhale* Where do we stand with my situation?
Bill: Same as we were last year. We are in uncharted territory, Tom. You're 43. We really need to go year to year at this point.

I imagine it going exactly like that. I can imagine Bill bristling at the thought of discussing roster moves with any player, even Tom. That's how we end with comments like "I don't know, I am just the QB, I just work here."

Last edited:
Brady is gone.

Giselle could be the reason why too. I do not need to suspend disbelief to suspect that GB is none too happy with Handy Bob and his treatment of women.

Right...Giselle was the bad guy from 2007-13 and now is poised to be bad again. So ridiculous.

Kraft and Belichick could have easily given Brady an extension in August. They instead chose to take the franchise tag off the table, meaning either (a) they don’t care if Tom walks, or (b) they don’t believe Tom will walk. This was an idiotic decision, and one that I’ll continue to lambast since I was just as critical when it happened.

Right...Giselle was the bad guy from 2007-13 and now is poised to be bad again. So ridiculous.

Kraft and Belichick could have easily given Brady an extension in August. They instead chose to take the franchise tag off the table, meaning either (a) they don’t care if Tom walks, or (b) they don’t believe Tom will walk. This was an idiotic decision, and one that I’ll continue to lambast since I was just as critical when it happened.
Brady’s side absolutely needed to take the franchise tag off the table. It would have made no sense to take an $8 million raise in 2019 that lowered his 2020 franchise tag amount by about $5.5 million. He previously would have gotten the minimum 20% raise on the franchise tag ($32.4 million), but his redone deal without a no tag clause would have put him back at the normal QB tag (projected by OTC at $26.9 million).

If deciding that your current working situation isn't working for you under the current parameters is selfish then leaving any job makes you a selfish ahole, if I'm reading your logic right.
No, I wouldn’t have a problem with him staying humble, not ****ing the fans around with daily updates via interview, social media, or leaked articles, and then leaving to take more money. There’s nothing wrong with that. As others have mentioned, Brady hasn’t exactly played this situation well, and this doesn’t seem to be about money to begin with.

No, I wouldn’t have a problem with him staying humble, not ****ing the fans around with daily updates via interview, social media, or leaked articles, and then leaving to take more money. There’s nothing wrong with that. As others have mentioned, Brady hasn’t exactly played this situation well, and this doesn’t seem to be about money to begin with.
Why should he play the situation any differently? The guy is a free agent.

But yet she was cool having AB chillin’ at her residence and building a friendship with her husband?

AB was there for a week when the news came out on him.

Why should he play the situation any differently? The guy is a free agent.
Is your suggestion that no one would have shown any interest in Tom Brady without him ****ing us around almost daily? I suppose it would’ve been nice to have less LeBron throughout this process.

This feels personal, and as another poster mentioned, the fans are caught in the crossfire. He’s obviously got some type of beef going on with the team. It is what it is.

Raiders reportedly are out. There was a report recently that the Titans could get Tannehill locked up before they ever have a shot at Brady. The Chargers talk has died down, and they now have giant holes at both tackle spots. The 49ers rumors were widely shot down within a couple days. So where is Brady going?

Raiders reportedly are out. There was a report recently that the Titans could get Tannehill locked up before they ever have a shot at Brady. The Chargers talk has died down, and they now have giant holes at both tackle spots. The 49ers rumors were widely shot down within a couple days. So where is Brady going?

Noooo I want Mariota

Bill has to be squirming if he feels he is being leveraged to give a 20% raise to a QB that connected with targets only 60% of the time....especially given his offense is predicated on high % passes to RBs and WRs who hover around the LOS to receive the highest % passes.

Brady was a 55% passer when targeting veterans Gordon, Dorsett, Sanu

Targeting neophytes’ Harry and Meyers was surprisingly better....58%

JE ...65%

Brady is not exempt from scrutiny
No question Toms stats were impacted by mediocre talent
Bill has to be squirming if he feels he is being leveraged to give a 20% raise to a QB that connected with targets only 60% of the time....especially given his offense is predicated on high % passes to RBs and WRs who hover around the LOS to receive the highest % passes.

Brady was a 55% passer when targeting veterans Gordon, Dorsett, Sanu

Targeting neophytes’ Harry and Meyers was surprisingly better....58%

JE ...65%

Brady is not exempt from scrutiny
No question Toms stats were impacted by the mediocre talent at TE and WR outside of JE before he got hurt but only BB and those close to him are in a position to truly evaluate TB12.

If his eval concludes Tom fell off in 2019 and believes it will continue in 2020, Tom is gone.

Is your suggestion that no one would have shown any interest in Tom Brady without him ****ing us around almost daily? I suppose it would’ve been nice to have less LeBron throughout this process.

You went full Andy here. That’s not my suggestion at all.

This feels personal, and as another poster mentioned, the fans are caught in the crossfire. He’s obviously got some type of beef going on with the team. It is what it is.

It’s not personal at all. He’s a free agent. He can do as he pleases because he doesn’t owe the team ****.

If Marcus is choosing between Las Vegas and NE he would be crazy to pick Vegas

What's personal? He is a FA. He owes the Pats nothing. He wants the best deal he can get. It is lousy for us as fans but that is the price of fandom.

It’s not personal at all. He’s a free agent. He can do as he pleases because he doesn’t owe the team ****.
We’re back to the “is he,” or “isn’t he trolling us” argument, and there’s been a lot to suggest that he is. When there’s a pretty good chance that this is the way that you’re leaving town after a 20 yr relationship, it’s not the best look.

And yes—he certainly owes the team and the fans some small portion of his success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing