PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The TOM BRADY appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and now I'll play my Blue Eyes White Dragon against your attack (just kidding)

But anyways, for those who don't think of Brady as the GOAT athlete in Boston (and I'm not saying you should) realistically what would he have to do in your mind to earn that title? (That's not a rhetorical question, I really want to know)
I was arguing Russell as GOAT in basketball. I wasn't saying Rus > TB12.

I haven't really thought about Brady vs Russell much. Different sports.

Orrs primary responsibility was defense.

Gretzy was a Center where the puck is controlled.

Bobby Orr only lasted 12 season with about 7 of those seasons on a bad knee that only got worse because the other teams Thugs would go after him. Still Orr dominated. Still Orr holds the NHL record of scoring 100 points 6 times as a Defenseman.

Gretzy did not have to face the NHL GOAT team Montreal Canadians year after year. In the same division too.

66 Montreal Champs
67 Toronto Champs
68 Montreal Champs
69 Montreal Champs
70 Boston Champs
71 Montreal Champs
72 Boston Champs
73 Montreal Champs
74 Philadelphia Champs
75 Philadelphia Champs
76 Montreal Champs
77 Montreal Champs
78 Montreal Champs

8 times the Canadians won the Stanley Cup during Orrs tenure. Montreal reloaded with Hall of Famers like the NY Yankees year after year. Gretzys Edmonton team was full of Hall of Famers too - Messier, Anderson, Kurri, Coffey scored 100 points 5 times and is 2nd to Bobby Orr.

Orr did not have particularly great players around him. Orr out scored Center Phil Esposito as a defenseman.

This sums up Bobby "GOAT" Orr. A Bruins defenseman scoring the deciding winning goal in the Stanley Cup finals.

CFBJEuN.jpg

I don't know about the GOAT between Orr or Gretzky (Orr's career was short), but I know that if you could have either player for a season, healthy in in your prime, then you'd be an idiot not to choose Orr. No need to apologize about Orr's two championships; Gretzky won zero after being traded from Edmonton, who were still the best team in hockey without him. Messier won with the Rangers later on.

I would also add Pedro Martinez to that list. He was the GOAT pitcher.

Best and most exciting peak-level player I've ever seen. No one pitching today is half as good as Pedro. What he did really did seem to defy physics.

Gretzky was the most prolific, amazing, flashy, super player and he made you smile. They don't call him The Great One for nothing.

Orr made your jaw drop. Bobby made you seriously question whether you really did see what you just saw. As I've pointed out before, the all time plus/minus category is in this case the most telling statistic. Bobby was human, but those who saw him had to keep telling themselves that.

As always, winning is a key measure in team sports. Both won. Bobby dominated defensively and offensively; Wayne was more like Esposito: You essentially started each game down a goal or two, and they also had skating ability and were excellent penalty killers.

Orr is in a class of his own.

If Michael Bishop showed more promise ...

Would the Patriots have drafted Brady.... hmmm?

I'm so done with the "he did juice and should be

Did you research how many hall of famers played in the 60s? Seems you chose not to.

The Celtics did not win the title in 70, 71, 72 and 73. That is a fact. That means they did not win a championship, but were competitive. Same as from 1947-1956. What I have stated are facts.

You are talking about another sport.

You lose.

The celtics did not win championships, but they were in the hunt ... something you tried to hide. Completely disingenuous on your part.

as for the hall of fame, no I did not research it ... you really want me to look into it? I most certainly will ... will focus on guys playing during russells career. guys who made it, and why they made it... and when they made it.

The celtics did not win championships, but they were in the hunt ... something you tried to hide. Completely disingenuous on your part..

During the last 4 years of Russell's career the Celtics did not have the league's best record. It matters.

as for the hall of fame, no I did not research it ... you really want me to look into it? I most certainly will ... will focus on guys playing during russells career. guys who made it, and why they made it... and when they made it.

Please do. You will find there were well over a dozen of HoFers which played in the NBA from 1957 to 1969.

During the last 4 years of Russell's career the Celtics did not have the league's best record. It matters.

Please do. You will find there were well over a dozen of HoFers which played in the NBA from 1957 to 1969.

lol, you should have looked up half those guys before you brought them up ... Its a hall of fame filled with joe namaths ... and the three or four other celtics who played with russell.

certainly did nothing to dissuade me from my belief that there is Brady atop the mountain and then everyone else.

lol, you should have looked up half those guys before you brought them up ... Its a hall of fame filled with joe namaths ... and the three or four other celtics who played with russell.

certainly did nothing to dissuade me from my belief that there is Brady atop the mountain and then everyone else.
...because you've never heard of them doesn't make them not HoFers

Last regular season game at Gillette tomorrow ...

tenor.gif

...because you've never heard of them doesn't make them not HoFers
to be fair, no. HOF doesn't make them all world beaters either.

Outside of a handful of players in that era, there is nothing there to convince me anything i said was wrong. The number of players was in the range of what I predicted... The only thing was the number of HOF players Russell had on his rosters...

You keep your basketball player, I will keep Brady atop the mountain of Boston Sports.

to be fair, no. HOF doesn't make them all world beaters either.

Outside of a handful of players in that era, there is nothing there to convince me anything i said was wrong. The number of players was in the range of what I predicted... The only thing was the number of HOF players Russell had on his rosters...

You keep your basketball player, I will keep Brady atop the mountain of Boston Sports.
I see your bias.

I see your bias.

Bias? lol, ok. You are arguing for a guy you've never seen play except in a highlight reel ... arguing against Tom Brady, a once in a generation talent ... for a guy who played in an 8 team league in the 50s and 60s

i get its hard to admit you are wrong, but come on dude, its obvious to all but some hardos who want to argue yesteryear is better because they think it gives them some sort of "Sports Historian Cred" for whatever reason ...

Bias? lol, ok. You are arguing for a guy you've never seen play except in a highlight reel ... arguing against Tom Brady, a once in a generation talent ... for a guy who played in an 8 team league in the 50s and 60s

i get its hard to admit you are wrong, but come on dude, its obvious to all but some hardos who want to argue yesteryear is better because they think it gives them some sort of "Sports Historian Cred" for whatever reason ...

Winning 11 titles in 13 years demands every fan's respect and acknowledgment and it doesn't matter when it happened. You refuse to because it's not worthy of consideration because it happened a long time ago.

27 Yankees are considered the GOAT. They played in a 16 team league.
78 Canadians are considered the GOAT. 17 teams.
66 Packers..15 teams

Are all those teams and players not worthy because they played in smaller leagues than now? Your answer is yes of course.

Thats recency bias.

All decade 2000, all decade 2010s that's like having 2 hall of fame careers.

Tom has to be the Boston GOAT, not only for his incredible sports accomplishments, but by far he is way more handsome than Orr, Williams, Russell, Bird, Pedro, and Big Papi. No one can dispute this fact.

The thing I appreciate about Tom is that he is still learning...from the NEW guys. He’s watching Lamar, Mahomes as well as Rodgers and Brees. This is why our offense can evolve because Brady’s knowledge is evolving. Brady IS the system.

Talk about money.

How much are Teddy Williams, Bambino Ruth, Carl Yaz worth compared to these overrated and overpaid Bums today.

Funny that you'd mention Yaz. I remember when he was one of the first players to get a $100K contract and he got boos at Fenway for jogging down to 1st on a grounder. Now players make 100M and fans grovel at their feet no matter what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back