The TOM BRADY appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Super Bowl 51 post game thread on NFL reddit, the top two comments were:

“There is no God”

Reply: “There is, and his name is Tom Brady.”

That’s our QB. The one and only GOAT.

You stated GOAT Boston Athlete.

Russell not Brady. The Celtics are the GOAT. Nobody will ever amass that many titles or dominate the NBA like the Celts with Russell.
The Yankees are the GOAT.

Apple, meet orange.

Pre-expansion basketball league without free agency, post expansion football league with free agency and a salary cap.

You stated GOAT Boston Athlete.

Russell not Brady. The Celtics are the GOAT. Nobody will ever amass that many titles or dominate the NBA like the Celts with Russell.
The Yankees are the GOAT.

Needs context though. the NBA in the 60's is not todays NBA. Russell amassed those championships in an 8 team league.

Brady is the Boston GOAT.

TB's football smarts and acumen are so evident, but what impresses me about him is his toughness and durability. I have stated this in previous threads but to be honest, it never ceases to amaze me. It is an aspect of his game that has been much understated imho, even pre TB12 methodology.

Apple, meet orange.

Pre-expansion basketball league without free agency, post expansion football league with free agency and a salary cap.

The goal posts on wheels.

Your turn to move them.

Needs context though. the NBA in the 60's is not todays NBA. Russell amassed those championships in an 8 team league.

Brady is the Boston GOAT.

In an 8 team league meaning that great talent was condensed and not diluted like today.

Russell is the Boston GOAT.

In an 8 team league meaning that great talent was condensed and not diluted like today.

Russell is the Boston GOAT.

Talent wasn't concentrated, it didn't exist. The 50 and 60's celtics are the prime example of that. One or two good players, they cleaned up for eternity. there was no real competition in those leagues.

Nice try though

Orr may very well have been the greatest hockey player to ever lace them up but his main issue is that his career was effectively over by age 26. His 70-71 season when he had over a 120 +/- was probably the most dominant single season in NHL history. I do believe that longevity matters when rating the all time greats so the medical communities failure to develop their future surgical techniques in a more timely manner likely costs Orr the top spot.

The goal posts on wheels.

Your turn to move them.

The skill and athleticism required to master the prolate spheroid is much greater than that required for a simplistic sphere.

Check mate.

While an alltime great, only people from Boston rate Orr the GOAT. You minimize Gretzky as if he didn’t take over games. The league had to change the rules because the Oilers would crush people 4 on 4. Also, like Brady, Gretzky wasn’t the fastest or strongest. But he was better than the others because he was smart and felt the game on a different level.

I know it’ll be unpopular here because most are from Boston, but there are several players I’d take ahead of Orr, including Lemieux & Gretzky. That isn’t to say Orr wasn’t exceptional. He was.

Orrs primary responsibility was defense.

Gretzy was a Center where the puck is controlled.

Bobby Orr only lasted 12 season with about 7 of those seasons on a bad knee that only got worse because the other teams Thugs would go after him. Still Orr dominated. Still Orr holds the NHL record of scoring 100 points 6 times as a Defenseman.

Gretzy did not have to face the NHL GOAT team Montreal Canadians year after year. In the same division too.

66 Montreal Champs
67 Toronto Champs
68 Montreal Champs
69 Montreal Champs
70 Boston Champs
71 Montreal Champs
72 Boston Champs
73 Montreal Champs
74 Philadelphia Champs
75 Philadelphia Champs
76 Montreal Champs
77 Montreal Champs
78 Montreal Champs

8 times the Canadians won the Stanley Cup during Orrs tenure. Montreal reloaded with Hall of Famers like the NY Yankees year after year. Gretzys Edmonton team was full of Hall of Famers too - Messier, Anderson, Kurri, Coffey scored 100 points 5 times and is 2nd to Bobby Orr.

Orr did not have particularly great players around him. Orr out scored Center Phil Esposito as a defenseman.

This sums up Bobby "GOAT" Orr. A Bruins defenseman scoring the deciding winning goal in the Stanley Cup finals.

CFBJEuN.jpg

Talent wasn't concentrated, it didn't exist. The 50 and 60's celtics are the prime example of that. One or two good players, they cleaned up for eternity. there was no real competition in those leagues.

Nice try though
Chamberlain, West, Baylor, Lucas, Big O.

Nice try though

Revisionist history at its finest.

Tell me why these game are so close and why the series went 7 games if the Celts opponents were all Bums?

1957 NBA Finals - Wikipedia

Orrs primary responsibility was defense.

Gretzy was a Center where the puck is controlled.

Bobby Orr only lasted 12 season with about 7 of those seasons on a bad knee that only got worse because the other teams Thugs would go after him. Still Orr dominated. Still Orr holds the NHL record of scoring 100 points 6 times as a Defenseman.

Gretzy did not have to face the NHL GOAT team Montreal Canadians year after year. In the same division too.

66 Montreal Champs
67 Toronto Champs
68 Montreal Champs
69 Montreal Champs
70 Boston Champs
71 Montreal Champs
72 Boston Champs
73 Montreal Champs
74 Philadelphia Champs
75 Philadelphia Champs
76 Montreal Champs
77 Montreal Champs
78 Montreal Champs

8 times the Canadians won the Stanley Cup during Orrs tenure. Montreal reloaded with Hall of Famers like the NY Yankees year after year. Gretzys Edmonton team was full of Hall of Famers too - Messier, Anderson, Kurri, Coffey scored 100 points 5 times and is 2nd to Bobby Orr.

Orr did not have particularly great players around him. Orr out scored Center Phil Esposito as a defenseman.

This sums up Bobby "GOAT" Orr. A Bruins defenseman scoring the deciding winning goal in the Stanley Cup finals.

CFBJEuN.jpg
If you think the 80s teams the Oilers overcame were pushovers you are a victim of your own bias. The Islanders were a dynasty when Gretzky pushed them aside. Furthermore : the Oilers WERE the dynasty. Unlike the Bruins, Edmonton didn’t allow other teams to rise. They were still very very strong competition.

Manning was the GOAT I guess - because he kept losing to NE & it is wasn’t for them he’d be 7 time champ !

All this talk of Goats, who do we put on the Boston Mt Rushmore?

I think 3 are givens:

Brady
Russell
Ted Williams

4th for me is a tough one because I like to pick 1 from all the major sports (Bobby Orr) but it’s hard to leave Bird off the list.

I forget where I heard this one but..............

Tom Brady has NEVER started an NFL game out of contention for the Lombardi Trophy.
I can’t remember where I first heard it but I mention that stat here once a year. Only difference is I cite it as a team thing ... the Patriots haven’t played a game in which they were out of contention when it started since the final game of 2000. (The 2008 team beat Buffalo in their 1:00 week 17 finale — the wind game — but Baltimore and Miami both won their later games, knocking them out). Phenomenal record whether you regard it as a brady streak or a Patriots streak. I can’t imagine anyone/any team comes close.

All this talk of Goats, who do we put on the Boston Mt Rushmore?

I think 3 are givens:

Brady
Russell
Ted Williams

4th for me is a tough one because I like to pick 1 from all the major sports (Bobby Orr) but it’s hard to leave Bird off the list.

I would also add Pedro Martinez to that list. He was the GOAT pitcher.

If you think the 80s teams the Oilers overcame were pushovers you are a victim of your own bias. The Islanders were a dynasty when Gretzky pushed them aside. Furthermore : the Oilers WERE the dynasty. Unlike the Bruins, Edmonton didn’t allow other teams to rise. They were still very very strong competition.

Manning was the GOAT I guess - because he kept losing to NE & it is wasn’t for them he’d be 7 time champ !
Those Oilers teams were ridiculous.

As an all-around hockey player I'd have to give the nod to #4.

Chamberlain, West, Baylor, Lucas, Big O.
Ten guys in an 8 team league? Thanks for making my point for me.

Sports wasn't like it is today. Guys made more selling insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News