PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The scrap heap!

DE Ronnell Lewis becomes highest-drafted player (125th overall) from the 2012 draft to be without a team.

Detroit Lions cut DE Ronnell Lewis | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

The Lions parted ways with another disappointing middle-round draft pick today, waiving defensive end Ronnell Lewis after one unproductive season.

Lewis, a fourth-round pick out of Oklahoma last year, was supposed to be a core special-teams player as a rookie. Instead, he was inactive for the final seven games of the season and played just one defensive snap in 2012.

Lewis also was arrested this off-season for his role in a bar fight, but even without that off-field hiccup he would have been a long shot to make the team.

His departure is another crack in the Lions’ efforts to build through the draft.

First-round pick Riley Reiff is the only 2012 draft pick currently in a starting role, at left tackle, while second- and third-rounders Ryan Broyles and Bill Bentley struggled with injuries last year and have had inconsistent preseasons.

Sixth-round choice Jonte Green started five games at cornerback last year, while other picks Tahir Whitehead, Chris Greenwood and Travis Lewis have yet to establish themselves as everyday players.

The Lions have just two of their five choices from 2011 left on their roster, first-rounder Nick Fairley and second-rounder Mikel Leshoure, and got mixed results in 2010. First-round pick Ndamukong Suh is one of the best defensive tackles in the game and fourth-rounder Jason Fox could start at right tackle this year, but late first-rounder Jahvid Best’s NFL career is over because of concussions.

It's doubtful the Pats could get anything for Fells (+30, injured, JAG,) Hooman or Ballard (coming off injury, not same player he was in 2011). Conditional 7th at the very best.

Zbikowski has been released today, JMT57. Although I don't think he's an improvement over what we have, which isn't saying much.

Would anyone offer something for Colt McCoy? Word is he's on the trading block and will be released if no deal.

Quentin Jammer might be the best NFL name ever, except for a fullback. (Nothing beats Mack Strong or even Sam Gash.)

I thought that way when he was coming out of college, and I don't recall him getting leapfrogged since ...

It seems to me that the positions that the Patriots would most likely consider adding a player that could conceivably be cut on August 31 are defensive tackle and safety. Here is a list of those who may be cut from some of the better defenses at that time.

Seahawks
DT: Michael Brooks, DeWayne Cherrington, Martin Parker
SS: Winston Guy
FS: DeShawn Shead

49ers
DT: Mike Purcell
SS: Darcel McBath, Ray Ventrone
FS: CJ Spillman, Michael Thomas

Bears
DT: Zach Minter, Eric Foster, Christian Tupou, Brent Russell
SS: Brandon Hardin, Tom Zbikowski
FS: Tom Nelson

Broncos
DT: Romney Fuga
SS: Quinton Carter, Ross Rasner
FS: Quentin Jammer

Steelers
DT: Alameda Ta'amu
SS: Shamarko Thomas
FS: Ross Ventrone

Bengals
DT: Terrence Stephens, Vaughn Meatoga
SS: Taylor Mays
FS: Tony Dye

Texans
DT: Daniel Muir
SS: Jawanza Starling, Orhian Johnson
FS: Shiloh Keo

The Steelers surely aren't going to cut their highly talented rookie 4th round pick in his first season.

You can definitely cross Shamarko Thomas off the list immediately.

As far as Alemeda Ta'amu goes, he's the guy who crashed into 4 cars and ran from the police with an aggrevated DUI charge, almost killing himself and several police officers. He's lucky to even be playing in the league, or alive for that matter. It also should be noted that it's not his first DUI either. I'd hope the Pats would steer clear of someone like that at this point in time...

Taylor Mays for CIN has been insanely soft since coming into the league, and his old coach Pete Caroll passed on him 4-5 times during the draft. He is a loudmouthed pretty boy who can't tackle or defend a beachball. If/when Cincy cuts him he'll be lucky to stay in the league at all. I'm not sure if you've watched "Hard Knocks" or not this year, but he's regularly made fun of by the commentators for being so soft and out of place all the time.

I'd try Taylor Mays at that money LB spot that Adrian Wilson can't seem to figure out. Mays hips are too stiff to be a good Safety but he might worth a look at money LB.

I'd try Taylor Mays at that money LB spot that Adrian Wilson can't seem to figure out. Mays hips are too stiff to be a good Safety but he might worth a look at money LB.
If I remember, Mats stayed the full 4 years at USC and at the end of his Junior year everyone was salivating. His play fell way off his senior year and continued to plummet as a pro.
Jammer was cornerback for the chargers for years. I see he's listed now as a free safety. Must b taking the Woodson career survivor path

With the Pat's thin at DT I wonder if Casey Hampton could add anything to the roster? He's 36, yes, and he's less mobile than Wilfork but he'd be a helluva of an insurance policy. The guy shows up and plays: missed 7 games in the last 8 years and played all 16 last year. And Big Vince could flex outside with confidence when BB puts them in the 3/4. A space eater straight from the dictionary, Hampton intrigues me at this point in the roster management.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back