PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Ryan Izzo makes the 53 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Izzo can run-block and pass-block, say, 75% as well as Allen, and catch something like 16 of 24 targets for 120-140 yds, Allen could be trade bait.

If Izzo can run-block and pass-block, say, 75% as well as Allen, and catch something like 16 of 24 targets for 120-140 yds, Allen could be trade bait.
I think he had to block better than Allen. 75% is awful.

Feels like a long shot to me. Probably would also have to depend on Allen taking a step back. Right now Allen is bar none our best candidate for that pure blocking TE.

No.

Unless Allen injures himself he is a lock. The contract doesn't matter because either BB doesn't think it is an issue or it is and Allen will sign an extension that lowers his hit for this year in exchange for a safe spot on the roster.

Why am I so sure? Because Allen has zero contractual leverage and can be cut without any big consequences at any point before the season starts. You want to be a FA in March and not at the end of August.

At best Izzo will end up on the PS.

That's one thing that stood out to me when watching his College Highlights is his Blocking Izzo really puts a hat on people. Izzo also is a Bargain compared to Allen...either way even if he's on the PS for a year it's a win win for the Patriots.

That's one thing that stood out to me when watching his College Highlights is his Blocking Izzo really puts a hat on people.

So you're saying that he's a 15 yard penalty waiting to happen...:D

I think Allen will make the school of Brady sophomore jump and will be more efficient in the passing game. Will be surprised if he's not on the 53.

Last edited:
Dwayne Allen has about become as bad as any run blocking TE, as a receiver threat. I don't know why, but he didn't even catch a pass last year until a ridiculous number of games.

Why can't Develin fill this role too? I admit to not know. Is Allen that good of a blocker? He has a pretty big cap number.

If Izzo was an undrafted FA corner everyone would love him. I thought all the FA corners looked mediocre in the first game. Izzo stood out.

There is some indication that the Pats are leaning towards implementing a heavy running game to help Brady so Allen will have his role increased this year I believe. I think he is a roster lock but I agree they will try to lower his cap hit.

Is he a good enough blocker, though, to justify paying him $5M (which more than they're paying Edelman or Gostkowski)?

Possibly. Having superior blockers at a lot of different spots is pretty crucial to the success of the Pats ground game.

3rd and 9, 1:38 to go in the game

check the 8:00 mark on this video

Great blocks by Develin, Thuney, and Allen. Without all three, Jax has the ball again. The haters focused on Allen making contact from the side and (maybe) the back, but the block started from the front and so it was legal. The defender spun around.

That play was as big as the Gilmore pass breakup on 4th down.

If Allen gets replaced, it needs to be somebody who can do that 100% as well, not 50% or 80%.

I like Izzo, but I am expecting him to be PS material

Is he a good enough blocker, though, to justify paying him $5M (which more than they're paying Edelman or Gostkowski)?

It's mid August. If they were worried about his salary they would have cut him after the draft at the latest.

Also, Edelman is criminally underpaid so it's not very useful to use him for salary comparison.

Dwayne Allen has about become as bad as any run blocking TE, as a receiver threat. I don't know why, but he didn't even catch a pass last year until a ridiculous number of games.

Why can't Develin fill this role too? I admit to not know. Is Allen that good of a blocker? He has a pretty big cap number.

If Izzo was an undrafted FA corner everyone would love him. I thought all the FA corners looked mediocre in the first game. Izzo stood out.

Allen WAS a pretty good receiver through his 2016 season in Indy. There's at least a chance that he gets some of that back. However, as with any receiver coming into the Pats system from a different one, there's a lot of adjustment. What kept him around last season was that he's among the best in the league - if not THE best - at blocking from an inline-TE spot. The Pats may believe that Allen is worth the price, at least for now.

Develin is also an excellent blocker, but working out of the backfield. Although there is some overlap on occasion, in the Pats offensive schemes, the roles are distinctly different, and both Develing and Allen are often on the field at the same time, especially on behalf of the ground game. So, no, Develin can't really fill both roles.

Welcome to the board Mrs Izzo, we are all pulling for your son.

Ok so Dwayne Allen is worth five million to block. But people hand the third TE roster spot to Jacob Hollister as automatic. Is he that proven? Is he that much of a weapon? There are plenty of pass catching RBs as options for this offense. What about another blocking TE, who is not a horrible receiver?

Why not Ryan Izzo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back