PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Ron Brace disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I am still trying to figure out how BB whiffed on this guy. He is usually really really good at picking the DL. Was it a panic move to get leverage or insurance on Vince; i.e. was it forced on him by the bean counters?

So in your eyes then if you don't do it in your first year then you are a bust? Is that it?

Lets see how this season pans out before we go down that road.

It is far from a disaster at this stage.

Be prepared for the "he is only a 2nd year player,give him a chance" crowd in 5.....4.....3....2....1

Myron Pryor looked good as a rookie for the little he was out there but I see no Richard Seymour career ahead for him..you just have to wait and see

Last edited:
Be prepared for the "he is only a 2nd year player,give him a chance" crowd in 5.....4.....3....2....1

Myron Pryor looked good as a rookie for the little he was out there but I see no Richard Seymour career ahead for him..you just have to wait and see
Take your pain meds.

Exactly. It was not like the Patriots did not need him; he could not get the job done. He was a blob. Seymour and Pryor looked great their first year. I cannot think of a lot of good defensive linemen for the Patriots that sucked in their first year but then played great.

Maybe Raji made Brace look good but how could the Patriot fall for that? There must have been money involved or some other factor besides football ability. Suspicious. The Vrable trade was also suspicious but for another reason (he dissed the ownership about money); if true it is disgraceful. Why can't Felger pick up this rant instead of trying to drive Moss out of town....

I am still trying to figure out how BB whiffed on this guy. He is usually really really good at picking the DL. Was it a panic move to get leverage or insurance on Vince; i.e. was it forced on him by the bean counters?

Young nose tackles take time to develop, Vince did. Like Brace he was a 4-3 tackle.

Fortunately, the Pats have all the time in the world, so relax, have a nice cigar and watch the games, while Brace gets to learn from the best.

Pryor didn't do much last year either. He played well in the preseason and then was active for most games. That didn't make him great. Brace was given the start when Wilfork was injured. He looked like a rookie. "Disaster" is a ridiculous overstatement, but what else would you expect from this board? Haha yeah, the Patriots could never pick a bad player, it must have been money or some sort of conspiracy.

Oh no. Of course no players ever make it if they're not world beaters in the first year. Let's just drop him, Chung, McGowan, Butler and start over so we can have a more exciting draft board.

After all, it's off season excitement that counts. Players never learn anything they don't know by their rookie season.

Last edited:
Exactly. It was not like the Patriots did not need him; he could not get the job done. He was a blob. Seymour and Pryor looked great their first year. I cannot think of a lot of good defensive linemen for the Patriots that sucked in their first year but then played great.

Maybe Raji made Brace look good but how could the Patriot fall for that? There must have been money involved or some other factor besides football ability. Suspicious. The Vrable trade was also suspicious but for another reason (he dissed the ownership about money); if true it is disgraceful. Why can't Felger pick up this rant instead of trying to drive Moss out of town....

Seymour was the 6th pick in the draft when he came out, hardly a good comparison.
Yes Pryor was a nice surprise last year.

Jamal Williams would be an example of somebody that was slow to get going.

Belichick should get FIRED for this franchise crippling disaster :rolleyes:

I'm going to tell you the same thing that every GM, Scout, and Personnel Director says. You can't judge a guy after just one season.

First, the Pats spent more time in 40 fronts and Nickle packages than they did in 30 fronts.

When Brace was out there, teams were doubling in all the time. Was he great? No. But he wasn't a horrible disaster either. He started against Buffalo and against Jacksonville. Fred Jackson had a good game with 80 yards on 16 carries, but Lynch didn't.. Jones-Drew was controlled and wasn't allowed to break the game open..

He's not even close to being a bust. He's a 2nd rounder who is learning how to play the position. Expecting him to push Wilfork out of the starting role is just pure ignorance.

]

Myron Pryor looked good because he was playing in the 40 sets and there was less learning for him than there was for Pryor.

You lead the board in bad threads ... no ... not bad ... horrible.

Yeah, Ron Brace was generally considered terrible by personnel people. I mean, the Patriots moved ahead of the Colts because they knew they were hot after him so they could get him. Both teams are generally terrible talent evaluators though and only care about the bottom line so what do you expect I guess.

Ignoring the whole bust talk, I think he was selected as insurance for sure. BB needed a pure NT to groom under Wilfork just in case. If you look at the next group of players after Brace there really was no one worthy to take over the position after one year (speaking in predraft grading). It also helps that the Bills and Dolphins were picking right after the Brace pick.

Oh no. Of course no players ever make it if they're not world beaters in the first year. Let's just drop him, Chung, McGowan, Butler and start over so we can have a more exciting draft board.

After all, it's off season excitement that counts. Players never learn anything they don't know by their rookie season.

Why do clowns like you jump on me?,READ where the thread started and learn who started the thread before you go off on your little tirade,I didn't start it...Try again ..duh

Last edited:
I'm not ready to call Brace a bust after one season, but I think he is a reminder of how prospects who fall into the 3-4 "bodytype" are overvalued because of the trendiness of the defense.

Brace was considered a 4th round prospect until the weeks preceding the draft. He was picked in round 2 because of the hype surrounding the "pure nose tackle" label. The move made sense given Wilfork's uncertain status and the need for youth on the line, but the Patriots were still drafting, in reality, a 4th round talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes