PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Replaceables

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We have 22 on defense; I suspect all will be here unless injured (Allen could be put on IR as early as tomorrow). In any case, we need help at NT and LB. On ST's (5), I think that we are set, but obviously need to add a kicker.

OFFENSE (26)
26 plus Slater is clearly too many. 24 is more reasonable. [my preference is OFF 24. DEF 23, ST 6]

There are players we might want to move to the Practice Squad, In any case, we could use upgrades over
Meyers
Herron
Onwenu
Cunningham
Izzo
Johnson

If we move Meyers and allen to the ir, we can bring in a kicker and a run stopper.

While I’m not a fan of overly negative types, I think I’d add a few names to the replaceable list...

Unless BB sees something others don’t (which is surely possible), 2020 is a transition year and not many players should be on a no-trade list.

We have 22 on defense; I suspect all will be here unless injured (Allen could be put on IR as early as tomorrow). In any case, we need help at NT and LB. On ST's (5), I think that we are set, but obviously need to add a kicker.

OFFENSE (26)
26 plus Slater is clearly too many. 24 is more reasonable. [my preference is OFF 24. DEF 23, ST 6]

There are players we might want to move to the Practice Squad, In any case, we could use upgrades over
Meyers
Herron
Onwenu
Cunningham
Izzo
Johnson

Upgrades over Jacob Johnson and Onwenu? Did you not catch that Onwenu was the only back-up in the Pats scrimmage for the white team on the O-line? Sorry, but I don't see you upgrading over him with what's hitting the wire.

As for Johnson, what FB is out there who would be an upgrade over him? Before his season ending injury, he had made huge strides and wasn't but a step behind Develin in terms of his abilities..

I was surprised at Cunningham being kept as well.. Especially since he couldn't beat out Newhouse last year. Belichick, Scarnecchia, and the 2 new coaches clearly see something in him to have kept him.

Izzo is someone we can agree that there is likely an upgrade out there. Jordan Thomas is one name that has floated around.

Who would be your preference to replace Meyers?

Player cuts tracker: NFL teams finalize 53-man rosters for 2020 season

I was hoping we would keep Onwenu. He did seem to be getting positive comments at the end of camp and could be seen as a repalcement if we loose players next season ??

This is the key question. Instead of looking at the roster and who people consider "replaceable" I'd be much more interested in the other half of the equation. Replace with whom ?

There is most probably barely any camp cut who could contribute more than Meyers in the first half of the season. Because those are players that don't have some crazy elite trait that they can exploit while really getting comfortable in their new role.

So are we talking about trades for established players ? Will they be that much cheaper now than they would have been a month ago where you could have had them for the entirety of camp ? Why now and not back then ?

The one position I certainly see unsigned players who could potentially give them a lift is the interior DL. But TE and WR ? Those will most probably not be major jumps forward. There is a reason that most impactful trades in BBs tenure came around the trade deadline when other teams start to unload players.

Upgrades over Jacob Johnson and Onwenu? Did you not catch that Onwenu was the only back-up in the Pats scrimmage for the white team on the O-line? Sorry, but I don't see you upgrading over him with what's hitting the wire.

As for Johnson, what FB is out there who would be an upgrade over him? Before his season ending injury, he had made huge strides and wasn't but a step behind Develin in terms of his abilities..

I was surprised at Cunningham being kept as well.. Especially since he couldn't beat out Newhouse last year. Belichick, Scarnecchia, and the 2 new coaches clearly see something in him to have kept him.

Izzo is someone we can agree that there is likely an upgrade out there. Jordan Thomas is one name that has floated around.

Player cuts tracker: NFL teams finalize 53-man rosters for 2020 season

Agree with all of these points. The training reports on Herron were also very encouraging. He's old for a rookie and needs to get stronger but has the length and athleticism to be a potential starter or primary backup and tackle and maybe guard. It isn't just the OTs who are getting big money on the OL now. Teams have to have multiple guys who can contribute while on their first contract, ideally at multiple spots along the line.

I like Johnson too, as does BB. Roosevelt Nix (cut by the Colts earlier in the week) is the one guy who caught my eye. Good blocker and very good special teams player. He replaced Delevin in the Pro Bowl in 2017.

I was hoping we would keep Onwenu. He did seem to be getting positive comments at the end of camp and could be seen as a repalcement if we loose players next season ??
Onwenu is still on the roster.

Sorry my post was not that clear and was more reacting to the previous poster who said that Onwenu could be replaced. This maybe the case based on experience but I hope we keep him as a player for the future , or just see what he can do.

After all the offensive line issues we had last year, I am glad bb has stuffed the roster with them this year!

This is the key question. Instead of looking at the roster and who people consider "replaceable" I'd be much more interested in the other half of the equation. Replace with whom ?

I disagree. You are asking me to do the job of Belichick and staff. They will scout the hundreds cut. They will scour the players available for trade. If we had kept Sanu (which the team reasonably didn't think was worth $6.5M), Meyers would have been gone in a heartbeat. I have no problem with choosing to keep Meyers. That isn't the issue.

THEREFORE, it is incumbent for Belichick and staff to find an upgrade for Meyers.
=====
BOTTOM LINE
When naming someone who I would like to see upgraded, I don't see why I should be able to evaluate every alternative in the free agent market and available for trade. When we posters do that, we have a relatively small set of players that we can evaluate, or know are available.

I disagree. You are asking me to do the job of Belichick and staff.

Not at all. I am asking you and others not to be lazy and just ask for changes without regard for how realistic or sensible those asks are.

If people claim that it should be possible to upgrade e.g. Meyers then I dont think asking them for realistic examples of such an upgrade is some kind of outrageous thing.

If there are no obvious names that come to mind maybe it is a more challenging thing than your words make it out to be.

I'll be blunt. I trust belichick. I do NOT expect that he plans to try to compete with our set of WR's. I wouldn't be surprised if 2-3 vets are brought in, one by trade.

I'll be blunt. I trust belichick. I do NOT expect that he plans to try to compete with our set of WR's. I wouldn't be surprised if 2-3 vets are brought in, one by trade.
He competed with a lousy set of receivers last year with poor results.

He competed with a lousy set of receivers last year with poor results.
Soooo, he didn’t bring in AB, DT, Harry, Sanu, Inman, (Gordon- 2nd round tender placed; thus securing his services until he flamed out again)?....it damn sure wasn’t from lack of trying.

Last edited:
First, I view Johnson as more integral to the offense than many players not mentioned on this list. If this offense could operate without a FB, we wouldn't have seen Elandon Roberts on the goal line offense last year. Johnson's knowledge of the system is a greater asset than anything a more athletic replacement has to offer.

As for the WR position, I think Belichick came to conclude that both Sanu and Meyers could perform the same role in the offense. Meyers is younger and cheaper. I wouldn't be shocked if he sticks around or gets replaced, but I would not expect a high money/pick move to acquire a WR. The 2018 and 2019 teams were close enough that a top flight WR could push them over the top, the 2020 team is not.

Not at all. I am asking you and others not to be lazy and just ask for changes without regard for how realistic or sensible those asks are.

If people claim that it should be possible to upgrade e.g. Meyers then I dont think asking them for realistic examples of such an upgrade is some kind of outrageous thing.

If there are no obvious names that come to mind maybe it is a more challenging thing than your words make it out to be.

@luuked, I appreciate your efforts and energy with regard to personnel, on the Pats and elsewhere.
I'm delighted there are people like you who have, spend, and enjoy time to invest in that much research. But I'm not lazy for not doing so, or for saying out loud, "I'd sure like a better WR than Meyers on the roster."

I couldn't post this in the Rohrwasser thread so I'll put it here. I hope he turns out to be Vinatieri part 2. I was ready to cut him after missing a kick in KC.

I couldn't post this in the Rohrwasser thread so I'll put it here. I hope he turns out to be Vinatieri part 2. I was ready to cut him after missing a kick in KC.

I remember that game. Bledsoe brought us back with a chance to tie with a field goal and “miss”ateri let us down! I think parcels was going to cut him them, but didn’t, and the rest is history.

Anything is possible, but rohrwasser Turning into a legitimate kicker would be a long shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call