PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Published Wells Report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree completely. It's Wells that doesn't feel that way.

Pats legal council told the Wells Brownshirts that he would answer any follow-up questions that they would have for McNally. They just didn't agree to having him appear in person again as he had been inconvenienced enough.

Yee asked Wells to narrow the scope of the messages. It was the league that remained vague in their scope.

Typical framing of circumstances to make the Pats and Brady uncooperative when they were.

Agreed. The NFL had a conclusion and they had to write a narrative to reach that conclusion.

Agreed. The NFL had a conclusion and they had to write a narrative to reach that conclusion.

I do wonder why the couldn't have called McNally and asked the follow-up questions and he had nothing more to add or the Pats legal eagles said piss off to Wells...don't know. I think by that time the Pats Legal team knew something was rotten with the picture that Wells was intending on painting.

You can certainly cooperate with an investigation that is seeking things related to that investigation. When you are vague and just demand everything, I would fire any attorney who tells me to just give over everything I have for their fishing expedition ESPECIALLY knowing the reputation of the NFL and the general envy/hatred of the Patriots organization.

Not to mention that the investigation was RIDDLED with leaks from the get go. If I'm Brady, and I (hypothetically) have a conversation with Giselle on there where we got into a fight, I don't feel confident at all that that's not ending up on TMZ the next day.

Matt Chatham ‏@chatham58 4s4 seconds ago
To corroborate theory from texts that scheme was real/ongoing,where's evidence from other home games of hallway camera showing the bathroom?

The report said that the security cameras are basically on a 10-day loop, so any footage older than 10 days is gone (unless it is copied off before it is overwritten).

now im nervous.

expecting the worse. ill be surprised if brady isnt suspended at this point
the entire world wants it.

Good. Suspend him. That way, he can take the league to court as quickly as possible and get that joke of a report tossed in the trash where it rightfully belongs.

I agree, let the punishments come out today. Sooner that happens, sooner the fight is on and union involved. FYI from Mythbusters Adam is active on Twitter. Send requests to him as well at @donttrythis

Now that a couple of days have passed, I’ve settled on a few things that I think on all this stuff. Sorry this might get a bit long, but hopefully worth the time to wade through.

--In the long run, there’s a lot of stuff that I think is definitely true…that ultimately just won’t matter to anyone. Meaning: it’s absolutely and categorically true that the Patriots are treated differently that the rest of the league…scrutinized far more, potential penalties far greater, etc.; and the Wells report is almost comically biased. (Exponent? Really? That company has been a known joke for years.) There are inconsistencies in the report, mistakes, glaring omissions regarding the league, other teams, etc. It’s a really shoddy piece of work, objectively speaking. (Let me repeat, Exponent? Seriously, Google them for 30 seconds. I’ll wait.)

--Why won’t this stuff matter? Because at the end of the day, all anyone will take away is what did Brady know, what Brady did. That’s it.

So, on that.

What do we “know” about Brady, to the extent you can know athletes? By all accounts and appearances, that he’s an upright, solid guy. Incredibly competitive, who wants to win…but so competitive, I think, that “cheating” to win would not be satisfying to him, nor something he would do. This is subjective, of course. That is my opinion.

So what happened, here? Forget the “science” one way or the other. There’s just nothing there of note, even leaving out the joke that is Exponent. It all comes down to the two equipment guys.

Which is tricky, because these two ball guys sound dumb. I’m sorry, that seems sort of condescending or something, but it’s true. They sound like two not very bright guys. So their texts can’t be parsed too carefully…it’s just not really possible to know exactly what the hell they’re talking about.

Having said that, they’re talking about SOMETHING relating to the air pressure of footballs. Needles, deflating, ESPN.

So here’s what I think it was.

Brady likes the balls a certain way. Apparently, on at least one occasion, the refs would excessively pump them up (to 16 psi apparently at one point). As another poster here cited, Brady—far from breaking the rules—wanted the refs to refer to the rules, as part of his hope that they wouldn’t be overinflated.

So I do think Brady was “generally aware…” aware that he didn’t want to use an overinflated football, and was happy to have some air taken out, so they wouldn’t be. And he “generally” was hoping “Jonny” would take care of that, because who else would? The refs? I’m sorry, for a billion dollar organization, the NFL is incompetent is many ways.

So at his press conference, Brady wasn’t himself. He looked nervous. Why? Because he wasn’t being completely transparent. He didn’t want to cheat and use underinflated footballs, he just didn’t want the damn things overinflated. And yeah, he probably should have just been very vocal and public about it early on, weeks earlier. “Hey, the refs are kind of blundering around here..” (no big surprise)… “they end up making the footballs I use hard & overinflated…could we do something about this?” But he didn’t go that way, and from that, this ridiculous fiasco spins away. I suppose nobody is supposed to do anything with the footballs after the refs sign off on them…but they’re not supposed to be at 16 psi either.

Couple other small points:

--On Brady’s testimony, the not knowing McNally thing just strikes me as odd. Too silly to lie about…I suspect something there just got lost in the shuffle, who knows. But nothing nefarious there.

--On Brady not turning over his phone. Um…let’s see. These inept, biased “investigators” come after you, and then say, “give us your phone.” BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I would never in a million years have agreed to that, and I’m nobody. Seriously, are you kidding me? If anyone brings that up as something to care about, stop listening immediately.

--If the ball guys go public, that could and almost definitely will change the narrative significantly, one way or the other. But I’m pretty confident my impressions here are correct.

And…I can’t wait until they start playing football again. For now, I think that’s all I got.

Last edited:
Yee on 98.5 now

Meeting w/Brady and investigators lasted essentially all day. 4 attorneys. Asked questions about every part of the report. Tom was shown texts between employees and from employees to Tom.

No question was objected to
No subject was off limits

of course &&$#$%% felger thinks its not just brady , he is taking a fall for the rest of the team

At every juncture where investigative team could have made an inference or conclusion favorable to Tom or Patriots, they chose not to. In every instance where there was a choice of who to believe in, they minimized the credibility of NE and Tom.

"I don't feel it was truly independent"

No conflict towards Wells or his team, they were doing their job

Patriots/Tom didn't get to cross examine Colts people, officials, Ravens people

now im nervous.

expecting the worse. ill be surprised if brady isnt suspended at this point
the entire world wants it.

"I don't feel it was truly independent"

No conflict towards Wells or his team, they were doing their job

He isn't going to say anything truly inflammatory before punishments handed out.

Patriots/Tom didn't get to cross examine Colts people, officials, Ravens people
An independent investigated wouldve talked to sullivan about the 'chatter'

More probable than not = 50.1% v. 49.9%

NFL doesn't have to follow same conclusions Wells came to

Issue of players giving gifts to lower employees was covered, with passion, during the meeting. Doesn't think the investigators ever understood how that works

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes